unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

soleu wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:32 pm Sorry but I have tons of questions after that Kahuku game. What was up with the Kahuku gameplan yesterday? Of all the schools in the state, Kahuku should be the last team to shy away from the run. QB left the last game on crutches but he's still called on to carry a bulk of the workload. Multiple bad snaps but they still insist on nothing under center. 3 for 21 in the 1st half but they still come out and throw the ball in 4 WR sets? QB gets hurt, they bring him back in to carry the load again?

Wasn't this the same team that won a state title 2 years ago by taking the QB position away? You couldn't do that again for one game to let the stud QB rest for a bigger opponent?

As for the STL game, how many times does Mililani's defense have to be burned in an all out blitz until they learn? Both of Kahuku's TDs and the end of the half last week, and nearly all of Quinn's TDs were the same thing. STL looking like a well oiled machine after shaking off the rust yesterday. Kahuku's defense against the Crusader offense. Glad to watch that matchup in the title game for the 3rd season in a row. It's always been the best against the best.
@soleu: No need to apologize; we all should hear each other out. Last night, even before the Kahuku v Waianae game ended, I posted on this thread, I believe, that Kahuku QB Maiava shouldn't have been playing. After all, as you said, when the Mililani game ended, he left the field on crutches. But, in retrospect, playing him against Waianae just might have been the right decision after all. I mean, Kahuku won by only an FG, and they didn't score the winning TD until there was less than a minute to play in the game. I'm beginning to think that they almost certainly would have lost if they didn't use Maiava. And besides, they did spell him at times with backup QB Alapa. Having said all that, yeah: What happened to Kahuku's run game? For the past two straight games, Kahuku's run attack was MIA. The run game is supposed to be Kahuku's strength. Don't they have a beefy and talented run-blocking O-line? Isn't Nawahine a very capable RB? Then what happened? Why did Kahuku HC Frietas abandon the run game so much? I mean, Kahuku came very close to losing both of their last two games; I think they were very lucky. Why did Freitas elect to play away from Kahuku's forte?

By the way, I noticed that you think Mililani's DC screwed-up by calling blitzes so often. But, if you don't blitz, St Louis QB Cordeiro will just pick you apart. Look at how many times Mililani sacked Cordeiro; most of them came on blitz plays, right? I think Kahuku's DC should call blitz plays against St Louis very often, because Kahuku's secondary is better than Mililani's secondary. Also, Kahuku's D is their strength. There's nothing more demoralizing than sitting-back in zone or man coverage, while Cordeiro picks you apart anyway. Since St Louis doesn't have much of a run game, let Kahuku's DC call blitzes. Allow Kahuku's defensive front-seven to come after Cordeiro and attempt to tear his head off. Let that front-seven release aggression directly against him, rather than sit-back relatively helplessly, hoping he doesn't burn the secondary. Go after him; chase his butt off, and when you do catch him, crumple him (but do so cleanly; no penalties). Yes, Cordeiro is a great scrambler, but Mililani's front-seven nonetheless did get to him several times. If Mililani could do that, I certainly think Kahuku can, and they can probably do it more often. Of course, that's going to take a lot of conditioning. But, does Kahuku's defensive front-seven want their school to win? Then have them do conditioning drills this week, too. I mean, this game is for all the marbles; this is it. Hopefully Cordeiro will get as beat-up from all the hits as Kahuku's front-seven will get winded. Here's another thing: Since Kahuku's secondary is better than Mililani's secondary, hopefully Kahuku's D will get more coverage sacks and INTs.

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

^^^^
If Kahuku goes back to the ball control, powerhouse offense yesterday, that game would be done by the 3rd quarter. Alapa under center or even the Elephant package would've been more than enough to get the job done and Maiava gets to rest up.

As for the blitz happy Trojans, you can't keep leaving a guy in single coverage after his 2nd long TD. Adjustments have to be made. Good QBs like Cordero and a healthy Maiava are going to get the ball out quicker. You gotta test that football IQ and show blitz but play coverage to keep him out of a rhythm. One play he might have 3 seconds, the next he might have all day but he forces it thinking another blitz is coming.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I’m thinking Maiava really wants a passing TD against STL. Last year he had ZERO, ZERO passing yards. ZERO. The supposed phenom freshman qb with the offer from Michigan, ZERO. I bet that was chewing on him for a little while.

I know Nawahine is a great player but maybe his style isn’t really meshing with the run blocking scheme? I don’t know. Or maybe he isn’t 100% healthy? Or is it that thing about Maiava wanting to throw?

I gotta be honest. I don’t know how the qb coaching is at Kahuku, but last year did nothing for his development as a passer. It still shows now. He seems to struggle sometimes on what seems like a simple throw, or doesn’t always make the best decisions. Also seems to be trying his best to make the pass play work, but not sure when to make a run for it. This year should benefit him being able to pass a lot more

Kahuku OC also sometimes uses run or pass plays in odd situations. Pass on 1st and run on 3rd and long. But that may be a product of them not being sure what their identity really is this year. Yes they showed balance at times but sometimes it looks like they haven’t settled in with that balance yet. It’s my .02

What I thought was funny is STL usually throws a run in there to mix it up, wether it goes anywhere or not. But against Mililani they didn’t even bother lol.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

At least Miki Ah You got rest. They will need his speed and defensive IQ. Better half time adjustment by St.Louis to go with a couple screens and let Quinn run. Mililani''s dbs are just mediocre. As in pass years, time consuming drives some defensive stops and special teams play will dictate Kahuku''s outcome.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

soleu wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:05 pm ^^^^
If Kahuku goes back to the ball control, powerhouse offense yesterday, that game would be done by the 3rd quarter. Alapa under center or even the Elephant package would've been more than enough to get the job done and Maiava gets to rest up.

As for the blitz happy Trojans, you can't keep leaving a guy in single coverage after his 2nd long TD. Adjustments have to be made. Good QBs like Cordero and a healthy Maiava are going to get the ball out quicker. You gotta test that football IQ and show blitz but play coverage to keep him out of a rhythm. One play he might have 3 seconds, the next he might have all day but he forces it thinking another blitz is coming.
@soleu: What on earth was Kahuku HC Freitas thinking when he turned his back on the run game these past two games? Kahuku could have easily lost both of their last two games. Now: Freitas does have an elephant package? Kahuku might very well need it against St Louis in the red zone and on 3rd-downs.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:50 am I’m thinking Maiava really wants a passing TD against STL. Last year he had ZERO, ZERO passing yards. ZERO. The supposed phenom freshman qb with the offer from Michigan, ZERO. I bet that was chewing on him for a little while.

I know Nawahine is a great player but maybe his style isn’t really meshing with the run blocking scheme? I don’t know. Or maybe he isn’t 100% healthy? Or is it that thing about Maiava wanting to throw?

I gotta be honest. I don’t know how the qb coaching is at Kahuku, but last year did nothing for his development as a passer. It still shows now. He seems to struggle sometimes on what seems like a simple throw, or doesn’t always make the best decisions. Also seems to be trying his best to make the pass play work, but not sure when to make a run for it. This year should benefit him being able to pass a lot more

Kahuku OC also sometimes uses run or pass plays in odd situations. Pass on 1st and run on 3rd and long. But that may be a product of them not being sure what their identity really is this year. Yes they showed balance at times but sometimes it looks like they haven’t settled in with that balance yet. It’s my .02

What I thought was funny is STL usually throws a run in there to mix it up, wether it goes anywhere or not. But against Mililani they didn’t even bother lol.
@genks: Well, I don't think any school has a QB coach like St Louis' Passas. I mean, he's a legend. Now, I'm having to root for Kahuku against St Louis, so for this game, I wish St Louis didn't have Passas. As for Kahuku QB Maiava wanting a TD pass, I really don't think that's it, though he got two that won their last two games. I suspect that what bothers him most is simply the fact that Kahuku lost to St Louis in the state title game last year, not how many TD passes he had (or didn't have) in the game.

I think Kahuku's OC has a lot to answer for. I mean, here's a run-happy school that seems to have the personnel suited to such an O: A good RB in Nawahine, and a good, large run-blocking O-line, and the OC underutilizes them. Kahuku could have easily lost both of their last two games.

Mililani's D simply screwed-up against St Louis in the second half. St Louis' OC apparently made adjustments at halftime, while Mililani's DC apparently didn't respond adequately. I mean, Mililani owned St Louis during the 1st half.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:43 pm At least Miki Ah You got rest. They will need his speed and defensive IQ. Better half time adjustment by St.Louis to go with a couple screens and let Quinn run. Mililani''s dbs are just mediocre. As in pass years, time consuming drives some defensive stops and special teams play will dictate Kahuku''s outcome.
@Markeke: I was thinking the same thing regarding Mililani's secondary. Namely, they're not as good as Kahuku's secondary. I'm pulling for Kahuku in the upcoming game, so at least I can hold-out hope that Kahuku's DBs are going to break-up passes, tip some away, perhaps even get some INTs. Kahuku's DBs need to make St Louis receiver Quinn, pay. Hit 'em hard; make him think, make him hear footsteps. He's fast, so Kahuku's DB's need to get into his head, prevent him from doing too much damage. Each Kahuku DB needs to think, "If he comes to my side, I have to make him pay." I also think Kahuku needs to get back to the run-game, especially if QB Maiava's foot is still iffy. I don't want him running for his life on a bad foot, to elude a St Louis pass-rush. I would like to see St Louis QB Cordeiro have to run for his life to elude a Kahuku pass-rush, and I would think he'll probably have to do just that, seeing as St Louis doesn't have much of a run-game. Meanwhile, like you say, I think Kahuku needs to have long, time-consuming, punishing run-drives. Now, St Louis has a good defensive front-seven, but I would love to see Kahuku's O-line punish them on brutal run-plays. If Kahuku has an "elephant package," I would love even more to see those "elephants" flatten St Louis' D-line. I don't know if Kahuku's O-line coach allows pancaking, but I would love to see Kahuku's elephant-line, if they have one, pancake some St Louis D-linemen. "IHOP special."

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:48 pm
genks wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:50 am I’m thinking Maiava really wants a passing TD against STL. Last year he had ZERO, ZERO passing yards. ZERO. The supposed phenom freshman qb with the offer from Michigan, ZERO. I bet that was chewing on him for a little while.

@genks: Well, I don't think any school has a QB coach like St Louis' Passas. I mean, he's a legend. Now, I'm having to root for Kahuku against St Louis, so for this game, I wish St Louis didn't have Passas. As for Kahuku QB Maiava wanting a TD pass, I really don't think that's it, though he got two that won their last two games. I suspect that what bothers him most is simply the fact that Kahuku lost to St Louis in the state title game last year, not how many TD passes he had (or didn't have) in the game.

I think Kahuku's OC has a lot to answer for. I mean, here's a run-happy school that seems to have the personnel suited to such an O: A good RB in Nawahine, and a good, large run-blocking O-line, and the OC underutilizes them. Kahuku could have easily lost both of their last two games.

Mililani's D simply screwed-up against St Louis in the second half. St Louis' OC apparently made adjustments at halftime, while Mililani's DC apparently didn't respond adequately. I mean, Mililani owned St Louis during the 1st half.
Mililani didn’t own anything. It was a single TD lead and we get the ball at the second half.

I felt pretty good about the game after seeing the Mililani offense fall apart at the second half against Kahuku. That combined with the fact that STL is a second half team. They may jump to a huge lead early and take the foot off the gas in the 2nd half to be nice, but if it’s a competitive game in the 1st half, STL has a very good chance of finishing it in the 2nd.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Makoa is the head man, but I think there is more going on that pretty much puts him in the position of caretaker. I think he's a great guy who was put in a spot. I love my alma mater, but why anyone would want to coach Big Red is beyond me.....too much drama.

I think Paul Ah Yat has done an incredible job in bringing Sol-Jay along. As long as Sol-Jay stays humble, sky's the limit for this kid. Hopefully he heals up to 100% come game time.

As far as the OC, you would figure that being an all star lineman himself, the oline would be much better and more complex in their run blocking. Like others have mentioned, the Waianae game would've been over at 3 to 0 with a power running game.
RRFL

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 am Makoa is the head man, but I think there is more going on that pretty much puts him in the position of caretaker. I think he's a great guy who was put in a spot. I love my alma mater, but why anyone would want to coach Big Red is beyond me.....too much drama.

I think Paul Ah Yat has done an incredible job in bringing Sol-Jay along. As long as Sol-Jay stays humble, sky's the limit for this kid. Hopefully he heals up to 100% come game time.

As far as the OC, you would figure that being an all star lineman himself, the oline would be much better and more complex in their run blocking. Like others have mentioned, the Waianae game would've been over at 3 to 0 with a power running game.
RRFL
Just wanted to clarify my comments about Soljay’s progress and the Kahuku qb Coach. That was 2 separate thoughts, not knowing the qb coach and Soljays development last season. Soljay didn’t get to throw much last season. He sent most of his time either handing off or running himself. That’s why I feel that last season did not really benefit Soljay’s progress as a passer. He has the raw materials, I’m sure this season has been very beneficial for him. I hope I didn’t come off disrespectful.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:05 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:48 pm

Mililani didn’t own anything. It was a single TD lead and we get the ball at the second half.

I felt pretty good about the game after seeing the Mililani offense fall apart at the second half against Kahuku. That combined with the fact that STL is a second half team. They may jump to a huge lead early and take the foot off the gas in the 2nd half to be nice, but if it’s a competitive game in the 1st half, STL has a very good chance of finishing it in the 2nd.
@genks: Well, I'm glad St Louis beat Mililani, but the game really was a tale of two halves. Remember, Mililani had jumped-out to a two-TD lead, and then they ended the first half with a successful goal-line stand at the 1, and went into halftime with the lead. Therefore, I would still say that Mililani owned the first half, but St Louis obviously owned the second half. And, funny, isn't it, how Mililani's O blew-up in the second-half against both Kahuku and St Louis?

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

@genks no offense taken. its all good
RRFL

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 am Makoa is the head man, but I think there is more going on that pretty much puts him in the position of caretaker. I think he's a great guy who was put in a spot. I love my alma mater, but why anyone would want to coach Big Red is beyond me.....too much drama.

RRFL
@rrforlifebaby: Yeah, I would agree that being Kahuku HC is drama city. But then, the same could be said for being St Louis HC. If I'm not mistaken, Freitas is a Kamehameha alumnus, so why he takes all that pressure and drama to be another school's HC, is beyond me. But, the same could be said for Cal Lee, right? Lee is a Kalani alumnus, but he elects to be HC of another school, St Louis, with all the pressure and drama that entails. Perhaps it's all because those two HCs are attracted to schools with very good football teams. Kahuku and St Louis are two of the best football schools in the state, but their alumni can be really rabid. I mean, they take loving one's alma mater to extremes, some of them.

Against St Louis, yeah: I agree that Kahuku should go with the run game. Of course, that's not to say they shouldn't pass the ball at all, especially when the OC spots a weakness in St Louis' D somewhere, or when it's third-and-long. A time-consuming run-game would eat clock, keeping Cordeiro and Quinn off the field. But when Cordeiro and Quinn are on the field, Kahuku's D needs to make it a point to get into their heads, big-time. Hopefully, at the very least, Kahuku's defensive front-seven can disrupt Cordeiro's timing. Seeing as St Louis' O is so pass-heavy, I would love to see a Kahuku DB pick Cordeiro off and take it all the way to the house. Like, that would be electrifying, a real kick in the pants. Kahuku's DBs are pretty good, so here's hoping.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:01 pm

RRFL
@rrforlifebaby: Yeah, I would agree that being Kahuku HC is drama city. But then, the same could be said for being St Louis HC. If I'm not mistaken, Freitas is a Kamehameha alumnus, so why he takes all that pressure and drama to be another school's HC, is beyond me. But, the same could be said for Cal Lee, right? Lee is a Kalani alumnus, but he elects to be HC of another school, St Louis, with all the pressure and drama that entails. Perhaps it's all because those two HCs are attracted to schools with very good football teams. Kahuku and St Louis are two of the best football schools in the state, but their alumni can be really rabid. I mean, they take loving one's alma mater to extremes, some of them.

Against St Louis, yeah: I agree that Kahuku should go with the run game. Of course, that's not to say they shouldn't pass the ball at all, especially when the OC spots a weakness in St Louis' D somewhere, or when it's third-and-long. A time-consuming run-game would eat clock, keeping Cordeiro and Quinn off the field. But when Cordeiro and Quinn are on the field, Kahuku's D needs to make it a point to get into their heads, big-time. Hopefully, at the very least, Kahuku's defensive front-seven can disrupt Cordeiro's timing. Seeing as St Louis' O is so pass-heavy, I would love to see a Kahuku DB pick Cordeiro off and take it all the way to the house. Like, that would be electrifying, a real kick in the pants. Kahuku's DBs are pretty good, so here's hoping.
The only drama that can equal that of Kahuku's the ILH's Big Three.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

You can bet St. Louis will go with an empty backfield on many possessions. The question is can Kahuku stop that?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!