Punt team needs major work

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Punt team needs major work

Post by BigWave96744 »

Hawaii punts 23 times, opponent returns 12 for 106 yards

Opponents puts 21 times, Hawaii returns 3 for 14 yards.

MY GOSH!!!!!!
John Ursua is Chad Owens like yet the ST is not setting up for a return nor are they trying to block the punt.

Come one set up John for some returns please

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Punt team needs major work

Post by shrek2 »

I would think that Special teams needs major work since they have a kickoff return returned for a TD, they cannot kick a field goal of 40 yards or more, their call of punter run on 4th and 23 was questionable, etc. The coach of ST is also someone who does not have college football playing experience but probably got some help from Dick Tomey in his first year. Does it make a difference? I have no clue. I think its a matter of how much time he actually has spent watching game films (at all levels and all colleges) and his ability to relate what he learns onto the field and pass it on to the players.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Our Punter and Kicker from Australia never played American football and still don't know all the rules of the game.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Hire Chow for ST coordinator. His special teams unit was always great throughout his years.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

BigWave96744 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:29 am Our Punter and Kicker from Australia never played American football and still don't know all the rules of the game.
I guess if the Punter doesn't know the rules of the game I guess its the coach to blame since we had Alex Dunnachie from Australia who posted good numbers on his punting until he got suspended for DUI by Coach Chow. Then we had Scott Harding who never played American football come in after Alex who seemed to play punter, punt returner and receiver even though he never played in American football. But I think at this point in the season taking the kicking game and singling it out is a mute point because we are not winning or losing because of the kicking game. Its an overall team effort and I would have to blame it on the offense/defense on the team. Can't stop the pass and can't convert 3rd down. There is no go-to play that will get them third down conversions. The rest of the teams in the MWC see the holes before the game like the Nevada coach and players and they say that they see holes in the defense and they are going to try to exploit it and they DID. Do you think the rest of the conference is watching our punting game and saying they are going to play field position? I think not. I think they are saying they see what plays UH is going to run and they see holes in the defense. Even though Stan Gaudion may not be the best punter, I gotta say I liked the way he ran on the 4th and 23 against UCLA. He ran like a football player although it was a bad call.

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

Demo was a great coach during the Norm Chow era. This new guy is terrible. Sure they have lots of blocked kicks but ST coverage is downright terrible. He has to go. Dont care if he is Tomey's son in law.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I have a feeling UH isn't even trying to set up a punt return. When Collie came in for Ursua, I swear he called for a fair catch as soon as the punt was kicked.

I spoke with Darrick Branch, Matt Harding & coach Wags and they all said ST was an integral part of success during their time at UH.

When told the team had 14 total punt return yards after 6 games, Darrick said, "Damn I had more than that on 1 return."

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Harding said they went out to block every punt.
Currently we aren't trying to block or return punts and still getting crappy field position

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:00 pm Harding said they went out to block every punt.
Currently we aren't trying to block or return punts and still getting crappy field position
With this team they would rough the kicker. It takes a special kind of player to block a punt. Harding was really good at it.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: