unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:49 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:24 pm
genks wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:49 pm

He may be able to. STL has been tough to run against and Pun put up some yards. Once they started picking up yards on the ground the big boy carrying the ball got more and more pumped. He would get up and run back to the line, slamming his fists together wanting another go. I wish we would go with a big heavy RB instead of the little fast guys. Try something different

Final thought on Pun after that game? Head scratching. They not terrible running but chose not really try and establish it all season. Hughes can throw but they let everyone and their mom try something before allowing him to throw. Unless last night was just a case of them stepping up and not really something they can do week to week?

Kam is seriously screwed without Yam. Pun has ways to score without Barber. Will be interesting next week. Kam seems to be on an upswing and Pun could be declining a little. The Kam DC made some good adjustments against STL. Upset? Unlikely but I’ve been wrong before
@genks:
1. Well, whose D-line is tougher against the run? Kamehameha's or St Louis'? I think Kamehameha might be a little tougher. If that big RB slams his fists in the Kamehameha game, I think the big boys on Kamehameha's D-line will definitely see that as a personal challenge. Regarding a big St Louis RB: Do they have one?
2. Is Yam out again? gopunahou complains about Punahou's back-up QBs, but no one sucks more than Kamehameha's back-up QBs. I understand Punahou changed their blocking schemes on O against St Louis in the second half. I hope Kamehameha's DC picks that up.
3. For Kamehameha to have a chance, QB Yam has to be healthy, and Punahou's O needs to have a really crappy game.
No i think Yam is fine, I was just making a comparison.

We may have 1 or 2 power back type RBs but they don’t see the field very often. It may be because of Coach Ron’s preference towards speed. Last night we tried a few runs with receivers I guess to see how it would go. The only time you see our powerbacks are when we are up huge and we not trying to score just running the clock out. But I’ve seen them break for solid gains 5-6 yards then rotate back out. I’d like to commit to establishing them.

Kam’s D line is probably better when we are missing Tui. Our LBs especially Botelho and Purcel are very important at stopping runs. As was Toilolo last year. Man Purcel was on one last night. Nasty

Kam’s problem is their offense against Pun’s defense. They usually struggle on offense. If Kam’s defense can stay off the field and run consistently they may be able to wear the Pun defense down. Kam has fast receivers that can beat DBs on the go route, too bad Yam can’t hit anything farther than 15 yards accurately. Same as last year. Hughes on the other hand, is capable of making quick strike plays for big gains.
@genks: I don't know; Yam was pretty good two years ago, as a soph. He also seemed to be doing pretty good during preseason this year. And, the thing about Kamehameha's O is that they have a big O-line and a good RB in Shannon. Those hogs on the O-line need to start kicking butt so that Shannon can get more yards, which in turn will take some of the heat off of Yam's pass game.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

This is a big weekend for hs football. Do or die games in both the oia and ilh. I think the favorites will win most games, the 2 games that'll be interesting will be pun v. kam and camp v. lei
After watching pun v. stl live on Saturday, I really think kam is ready to get their 1st ilh win of the season.....and at a perfect time too. Pun has a ton of talent but the coaches need to make up their mind on what they gonna do on O. Either go heavy and grind it out or let the soph qb throw. I think kams D and more importantly their O, will be ready to go after a much needed bye week.
Campbell looked pretty good on tv. if they can eliminate penalties and mistakes, they should be good. not sure if anyone on lei can match up with #3 and #4 for Camp. but lei coaches and players have put up some impressive victories this season, and I can see this being a good one.
Can't wait to see who will be moving on....

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Dog 96707 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:01 pm This is a big weekend for hs football. Do or die games in both the oia and ilh. I think the favorites will win most games, the 2 games that'll be interesting will be pun v. kam and camp v. lei
After watching pun v. stl live on Saturday, I really think kam is ready to get their 1st ilh win of the season.....and at a perfect time too. Pun has a ton of talent but the coaches need to make up their mind on what they gonna do on O. Either go heavy and grind it out or let the soph qb throw. I think kams D and more importantly their O, will be ready to go after a much needed bye week.
Campbell looked pretty good on tv. if they can eliminate penalties and mistakes, they should be good. not sure if anyone on lei can match up with #3 and #4 for Camp. but lei coaches and players have put up some impressive victories this season, and I can see this being a good one.
I’m not sure if Pun lined up heavy at the start because they weren’t confident in the qb or it was part of a game plan but one the qb started warming up he did fine. I’m guessing they let him throw against Kam. Most of Pun’s success run wasn’t from lining up heavy anyway.

Haven’t watched much of Leilehua and Campbell but they are enjoying more success than last season. If I had to take a guess I’d say Leilehua. They’ve been on a roll and look good on defense

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Punahou is in trouble. Barber was the man to start the year, but he has not been the same since the injury. He has played some in the last two games but,he has been pulled and 2–3 other players have gotten game snaps at QB in game situations. Obviously,Barber is not close to being fully recovered. The coaching staff may want to sit him for the Kamehameha game .... Why risk his health? If he had really recovered ,he would have gotten his starting job back in the last two games instead of being part of a four-man rotation.

The Puns aren't rushing very well this year while Kamehameha is stout against the run and pass. If Barber can't go,Kamehameha has a punchers chance against Punahou this weekend.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:01 pm This is a big weekend for hs football. Do or die games in both the oia and ilh. I think the favorites will win most games, the 2 games that'll be interesting will be pun v. kam and camp v. lei
@Dog 96707: I wouldn't count on Kamehameha's O being ready. I'd be fairly comfortable with their pass game, but their run game is likely to disappoint again. They've got a big O-line and a good RB, but they are simply incapable of getting respectable rushing yards. Go figure. I'm inclined to blame the O-line for poor run-blocking.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:07 pm Punahou is in trouble. Barber was the man to start the year, but he has not been the same since the injury. He has played some in the last two games but,he has been pulled and 2–3 other players have gotten game snaps at QB in game situations. Obviously,Barber is not close to being fully recovered. The coaching staff may want to sit him for the Kamehameha game .... Why risk his health? If he had really recovered ,he would have gotten his starting job back in the last two games instead of being part of a four-man rotation.

The Puns aren't rushing very well this year while Kamehameha is stout against the run and pass. If Barber can't go,Kamehameha has a punchers chance against Punahou this weekend.
@unpaid: Don't know about Kamehameha having a chance. If Punahou's backup QBs sucked as bad as Kamehameha's, maybe then. But Punahou backup QB Brady looked pretty good against St Louis, and if he looked pretty good against St Louis, he just might be outstanding against Kamehameha. Agree that Kamehameha is tough against the run, but against the pass? Don't think so. I mean, I hope Kamehameha does win, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's been about 3 million years since they last beat Punahou. If history is any indication, Kamehameha will lose to them yet again. Kamehameha might not beat Punahou again until we're all flying around in little flying saucers, like in the Jetsons. . .

"Meet George Jetson
His boy, Elroy..."

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:07 pm Punahou is in trouble. Barber was the man to start the year, but he has not been the same since the injury. He has played some in the last two games but,he has been pulled and 2–3 other players have gotten game snaps at QB in game situations. Obviously,Barber is not close to being fully recovered. The coaching staff may want to sit him for the Kamehameha game .... Why risk his health? If he had really recovered ,he would have gotten his starting job back in the last two games instead of being part of a four-man rotation.

True Pun may benefit from resting Barber this week. BUT they may come to a point where they need him just to make it to the next round. I must say Kam adjusted to STL better this year in the 2nd game than they did last year. Kam has had 3 games against Pun now, the 2nd being closer than the first due to the offense being a mess. I’m very curious how this will go. Kam can play pass coverage, it’s just STL makes them look like they can’t sometimes. I believe they also have a stand out safety.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:13 pm

True Pun may benefit from resting Barber this week. BUT they may come to a point where they need him just to make it to the next round. I must say Kam adjusted to STL better this year in the 2nd game than they did last year. Kam has had 3 games against Pun now, the 2nd being closer than the first due to the offense being a mess. I’m very curious how this will go. Kam can play pass coverage, it’s just STL makes them look like they can’t sometimes. I believe they also have a stand out safety.
@genks: Kamehameha can't sit back and assume that Punahou's O will be "a mess." The elephant in the room is Kamehameha's run game, or lack thereof. I mean, now that QB Yam is back, providing a pass threat, Punahou can't key on the run. And, with the O-line and RB that Kamehameha has, they have to--and should--get more rushing yards. Kamehameha needs to establish the run to free-up Yam's pass game. They have the O-line and RB to do it; God knows when--if ever--they will do it.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Anyone giving Kapolei a chance to pull off an upset against Kahuku? I gotta say I’m not impressed with Maiava from a pure QB standpoint. The RR defense is absolutely deadly. Kapolei’s offense needs to sustain drives to give the defense a rest. That Kapolei defense is big and strong up front. But after they’ve been on the field trying to stop run after run after run because the O is 3 and out every time it will get ugly. Last year it got ugly in a hurry, I think before the half. Kapolei needs to be able to play without giving up so many damn penalties. Let Kahuku do that. They shoot themselfs in the foot by running for 5 yards then a false start or holding.

I know no 1 person can win a game on their own (closest would be the unreal Mauga I suppose) but Dylan Toilolo was a core part of the Crusader defense that held Kahuku to 14 points. He’s felt them before. The returning Kapolei D felt Kahuku and got ran over. Dylan didn’t. Do not play Dylan both ways, just run stop. Hernandez got a gem dropped in his lap with Toilolo. I wish he was still a Crusader. Hopefully Hernandez uses him to his full ability.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:36 pm

@unpaid: Don't know about Kamehameha having a chance. If Punahou's backup QBs sucked as bad as Kamehameha's, maybe then. But Punahou backup QB Brady looked pretty good against St Louis, and if he looked pretty good against St Louis, he just might be outstanding against Kamehameha. Agree that Kamehameha is tough against the run, but against the pass? Don't think so. I mean, I hope Kamehameha does win, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's been about 3 million years since they last beat Punahou. If history is any indication, Kamehameha will lose to them yet again. Kamehameha might not beat Punahou again until we're all flying around in little flying saucers, like in the Jetsons. . .

"Meet George Jetson
His boy, Elroy..."
As hard as it is to believe, between 1997 and 2005, we won a total of one game against them. At least Kamehameha hasn't finished below Iolani since most of us were in diapers. That's something Punahou couldn't say sometimes between 1997 and 2001.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:23 pm Anyone giving Kapolei a chance to pull off an upset against Kahuku? I gotta say I’m not impressed with Maiava from a pure QB standpoint. The RR defense is absolutely deadly. Kapolei’s offense needs to sustain drives to give the defense a rest. That Kapolei defense is big and strong up front. But after they’ve been on the field trying to stop run after run after run because the O is 3 and out every time it will get ugly. Last year it got ugly in a hurry, I think before the half. Kapolei needs to be able to play without giving up so many damn penalties. Let Kahuku do that. They shoot themselfs in the foot by running for 5 yards then a false start or holding.

I know no 1 person can win a game on their own (closest would be the unreal Mauga I suppose) but Dylan Toilolo was a core part of the Crusader defense that held Kahuku to 14 points. He’s felt them before. The returning Kapolei D felt Kahuku and got ran over. Dylan didn’t. Do not play Dylan both ways, just run stop. Hernandez got a gem dropped in his lap with Toilolo. I wish he was still a Crusader. Hopefully Hernandez uses him to his full ability.
@genks: Well, Kapolei may have a chance, but I'd still go with Kahuku. Kahuku QB Maiava might not be an outstanding passer, but Kahuku RB Nawahine more than compensates with the run game. As for D, I don't think Kapolei's O can really handle Kahuku's D.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:02 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:36 pm

"Meet George Jetson
His boy, Elroy..."
As hard as it is to believe, between 1997 and 2005, we won a total of one game against them. At least Kamehameha hasn't finished below Iolani since most of us were in diapers. That's something Punahou couldn't say sometimes between 1997 and 2001.
@gopunahou: Well, I'd say that recent history counts for more than ancient history, and it's been long enough since Kamehameha last beat Punahou. Kamehameha always seems to find a way to lose against them.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:22 pm
genks wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:23 pm Anyone giving Kapolei a chance to pull off an upset against Kahuku? I gotta say I’m not impressed with Maiava from a pure QB standpoint. The RR defense is absolutely deadly. Kapolei’s offense needs to sustain drives to give the defense a rest. That Kapolei defense is big and strong up front. But after they’ve been on the field trying to stop run after run after run because the O is 3 and out every time it will get ugly. Last year it got ugly in a hurry, I think before the half. Kapolei needs to be able to play without giving up so many damn penalties. Let Kahuku do that. They shoot themselfs in the foot by running for 5 yards then a false start or holding.

@genks: Well, Kapolei may have a chance, but I'd still go with Kahuku. Kahuku QB Maiava might not be an outstanding passer, but Kahuku RB Nawahine more than compensates with the run game. As for D, I don't think Kapolei's O can really handle Kahuku's D.
Yea, I agree. Kapolei has a slight chance, because of their D. but offensively I'm not too sure about that O line, the kahuku D may be too much for them. I'd say kahuku won't lose at home, but I'm hoping for a good game. This should be the tv game, I'd like to watch this or the camp v. lei game.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.3 Kahuku and No.8 Kapolei,

That Red Raider defense is elite.The Hurricane offense has improved with the current starting QB and Kansana returning as a dependable ball-carrier. I think Kapolei will have trouble trying to dent Kahuku's defense. Kahuku will do enough on offense to win.

No.4 Leilehua and No.6 Campbell,

Both squads are decent on defense. Kaipo and Andres can air the football out. To me, the critical difference is that the Mules have a better ground game than the Sabers have. I think Leilehua gets the victory.

No.5 Waianae and No.10 Farrington,

I believe the Seariders are more settled on offense. The No.1 QB is back and Rico Rosario is back to pounding the rock. Waianae has the defensive edge also. Seariders should get the win.

Da oddah guys (SL and SA) have Kamehameha and Punahou ranked while Kamehameha is not in my top ten. Still,this is an interesting game that I will add comments on. As I have said earlier in the thread, Kamehameha has a chance to win this game. Punahou has been playing QB by committee the past two games because the first-string starter apparently hasn't recovered from an injury. I think the minutes he has played in the last two games indicate that he might not be a factor in this weekend's contest either. Picking Kamehameha to upset Punahou.

TheKrew808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TheKrew808 »

Go Crusaders!!!!