unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:41 pm What I love is Vincent Terrell. Hopefully we can use him more next year.
@gopunahou: What position does he play?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

RB & WR. And only a sophomore
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:40 pm
genks wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:36 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:31 pm

He's gaining confidence and experience. That's key. Loved the way our boys fought in the second half and didn't quit.
Yes they showed a lot of heart and that’s a trait I admire most in people. Respect.

That qb put up 20 points, the most since the 2nd Pun game last year. Its been under 14 points till now. Let that guy start and throw instead of that wild cat you guys will be fine against Kam.

For STL on to a MUCH needed bye week. This year sucked all our byes were one after another not spread. Not thrilled with our defense tonight. Pun played a very respectable game.

Fuckin refs hate us
@genks: Chill; St Louis still won. That's the main thing. As for St Louis' D, you have to suspect that Tuitele not playing might have been the biggest reason. Isn't he the best DL on the team?
Yeah Tui was definetly missed. I’m more and more impressed with #12 Botelho OLB. He’s only a sophomore I think and he’s making tackles and sacks every game.

So after seeing the Pun back up qb get hot I do not feel bad anymore for them lol.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

What makes me think that Friday's game ain't a gimme is the fact that the KSK seems to have found its rhythm and is coming off a bye. You can bet they were scouting us tonight and can't ignore that one advantage.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:23 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:24 pm With Tom Petty dying, OJ going free, UH playing like garbage, and now this, I don't know if I can take much more of this.
@gopunahou: Take heart; things could have been worse. What if you were a supporter of Kamehameha? I don't know how much more they can take.
Try being a fan of ours between 1997 and 2004. Between 1997 and 2001, we couldn't even finish above IOLANI and had less talent than they.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Ten,

1.St.Louis 7-0 Crusaders unstoppable in the ILH.
2.Mililani 8-0 DNP
3. Kahuku 7-1 DNP. No 8 Kapolei next in OIA quarterfinals.
4.Leilehua 6-2 DNP. No.6 Campbell next in OIA quarterfinals.
5.Waianae 5-3 DNP No.10 Farrington next in OIA quarterfinals.
6.Campbell 6-3 Mules next in OIA.
7.Punahou 5-2 Drop two spots with loss to St.Louis.
8.Kapolei 5-4 Kahuku next.
9.Hilo 7-1
10.Farrington 5-4 Seariders next in OIA.

Just wondering why the wheels have come off the Punahou offense.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:29 pm What makes me think that Friday's game ain't a gimme is the fact that the KSK seems to have found its rhythm and is coming off a bye. You can bet they were scouting us tonight and can't ignore that one advantage.
Well about that scouting thing, luckily you guys were doing some pretty weird poop on offense so they really only got the solid 2nd half of your back up qb to watch. They are tough on defense tho. You guys were having success with that huge guy running the ball he was a LOAD to bring down. I’d stick with him picking up 3-5 yards and let the qb throw

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:30 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:40 pm
genks wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Yes they showed a lot of heart and that’s a trait I admire most in people. Respect.

That qb put up 20 points, the most since the 2nd Pun game last year. Its been under 14 points till now. Let that guy start and throw instead of that wild cat you guys will be fine against Kam.

For STL on to a MUCH needed bye week. This year sucked all our byes were one after another not spread. Not thrilled with our defense tonight. Pun played a very respectable game.

Fuckin refs hate us
@genks: Chill; St Louis still won. That's the main thing. As for St Louis' D, you have to suspect that Tuitele not playing might have been the biggest reason. Isn't he the best DL on the team?
Yeah Tui was definetly missed. I’m more and more impressed with #12 Botelho OLB. He’s only a sophomore I think and he’s making tackles and sacks every game.

So after seeing the Pun back up qb get hot I do not feel bad anymore for them lol.
@genks: You can't be feeling bad for Punahou. This is football war, and Punahou is the only "enemy" that effectively stands between St Louis and the ILH D1 title. (Kamehameha is basically "mortally wounded," so to speak. They can't be counted as a serious threat.)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:29 pm What makes me think that Friday's game ain't a gimme is the fact that the KSK seems to have found its rhythm and is coming off a bye. You can bet they were scouting us tonight and can't ignore that one advantage.
@gopunahou: Kamehameha has only 3 things going for them:
1. QB Yam
2. RB Shannon
3. Their run-stuffing D-line

Punahou is a pass-heavy team, so Kamehameha's run-stopping D-line poses only so much of a threat. Punahou back-up QB Brady seems to be almost as good as Barber, so Punahou should still be able to throw the ball effectively. As for Yam and Shannon, well, Punahou's D will probably be able to contain both. And, so what if Kamehameha was scouting Punahou? Planning to beat Punahou is one thing; actually beating them is another. I.e., Kamehameha may know what Punahou will do; being able to stop them from doing it, is another.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:25 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:23 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:24 pm With Tom Petty dying, OJ going free, UH playing like garbage, and now this, I don't know if I can take much more of this.
@gopunahou: Take heart; things could have been worse. What if you were a supporter of Kamehameha? I don't know how much more they can take.
Try being a fan of ours between 1997 and 2004. Between 1997 and 2001, we couldn't even finish above IOLANI and had less talent than they.
@gopunahou: I don't think you're going to get any sympathy from Kamehameha fans. Try walking a mile in their shoes. They haven't had a realistic chance of winning the ILH D1 title the past four years.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:48 am Week Ten,

1.St.Louis 7-0 Crusaders unstoppable in the ILH.
2.Mililani 8-0 DNP
3. Kahuku 7-1 DNP. No 8 Kapolei next in OIA quarterfinals.
4.Leilehua 6-2 DNP. No.6 Campbell next in OIA quarterfinals.
5.Waianae 5-3 DNP No.10 Farrington next in OIA quarterfinals.
6.Campbell 6-3 Mules next in OIA.
7.Punahou 5-2 Drop two spots with loss to St.Louis.
8.Kapolei 5-4 Kahuku next.
9.Hilo 7-1
10.Farrington 5-4 Seariders next in OIA.

Just wondering why the wheels have come off the Punahou offense.
@unpaid: Probably because their starting QB, Barber, is out. Also, they don't really have a strong run game to compensate.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:04 am
Well about that scouting thing, luckily you guys were doing some pretty weird poop on offense so they really only got the solid 2nd half of your back up qb to watch. They are tough on defense tho. You guys were having success with that huge guy running the ball he was a LOAD to bring down. I’d stick with him picking up 3-5 yards and let the qb throw
@genks: Will that RB be able to run on Kamehameha? Their D-line is pretty tough against the run.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:00 pm
@genks: Will that RB be able to run on Kamehameha? Their D-line is pretty tough against the run.
He may be able to. STL has been tough to run against and Pun put up some yards. Once they started picking up yards on the ground the big boy carrying the ball got more and more pumped. He would get up and run back to the line, slamming his fists together wanting another go. I wish we would go with a big heavy RB instead of the little fast guys. Try something different

Final thought on Pun after that game? Head scratching. They not terrible running but chose not really try and establish it all season. Hughes can throw but they let everyone and their mom try something before allowing him to throw. Unless last night was just a case of them stepping up and not really something they can do week to week?

Kam is seriously screwed without Yam. Pun has ways to score without Barber. Will be interesting next week. Kam seems to be on an upswing and Pun could be declining a little. The Kam DC made some good adjustments against STL. Upset? Unlikely but I’ve been wrong before

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:49 pm

He may be able to. STL has been tough to run against and Pun put up some yards. Once they started picking up yards on the ground the big boy carrying the ball got more and more pumped. He would get up and run back to the line, slamming his fists together wanting another go. I wish we would go with a big heavy RB instead of the little fast guys. Try something different

Final thought on Pun after that game? Head scratching. They not terrible running but chose not really try and establish it all season. Hughes can throw but they let everyone and their mom try something before allowing him to throw. Unless last night was just a case of them stepping up and not really something they can do week to week?

Kam is seriously screwed without Yam. Pun has ways to score without Barber. Will be interesting next week. Kam seems to be on an upswing and Pun could be declining a little. The Kam DC made some good adjustments against STL. Upset? Unlikely but I’ve been wrong before
@genks:
1. Well, whose D-line is tougher against the run? Kamehameha's or St Louis'? I think Kamehameha might be a little tougher. If that big RB slams his fists in the Kamehameha game, I think the big boys on Kamehameha's D-line will definitely see that as a personal challenge. Regarding a big St Louis RB: Do they have one?
2. Is Yam out again? gopunahou complains about Punahou's back-up QBs, but no one sucks more than Kamehameha's back-up QBs. I understand Punahou changed their blocking schemes on O against St Louis in the second half. I hope Kamehameha's DC picks that up.
3. For Kamehameha to have a chance, QB Yam has to be healthy, and Punahou's O needs to have a really crappy game.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:24 pm
genks wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:49 pm

@genks:
1. Well, whose D-line is tougher against the run? Kamehameha's or St Louis'? I think Kamehameha might be a little tougher. If that big RB slams his fists in the Kamehameha game, I think the big boys on Kamehameha's D-line will definitely see that as a personal challenge. Regarding a big St Louis RB: Do they have one?
2. Is Yam out again? gopunahou complains about Punahou's back-up QBs, but no one sucks more than Kamehameha's back-up QBs. I understand Punahou changed their blocking schemes on O against St Louis in the second half. I hope Kamehameha's DC picks that up.
3. For Kamehameha to have a chance, QB Yam has to be healthy, and Punahou's O needs to have a really crappy game.
No i think Yam is fine, I was just making a comparison.

We may have 1 or 2 power back type RBs but they don’t see the field very often. It may be because of Coach Ron’s preference towards speed. Last night we tried a few runs with receivers I guess to see how it would go. The only time you see our powerbacks are when we are up huge and we not trying to score just running the clock out. But I’ve seen them break for solid gains 5-6 yards then rotate back out. I’d like to commit to establishing them.

Kam’s D line is probably better when we are missing Tui. Our LBs especially Botelho and Purcel are very important at stopping runs. As was Toilolo last year. Man Purcel was on one last night. Nasty

Kam’s problem is their offense against Pun’s defense. They usually struggle on offense. If Kam’s defense can stay off the field and run consistently they may be able to wear the Pun defense down. Kam has fast receivers that can beat DBs on the go route, too bad Yam can’t hit anything farther than 15 yards accurately. Same as last year. Hughes on the other hand, is capable of making quick strike plays for big gains.