Sophomore slump for nick rolovich?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Sophomore slump for nick rolovich?

Post by couz808 »

Maybe we shouldn't hit the panic button yet for nick rolovich. After a bowl game in their 1st year, this is their record during their 2nd year.

June Jones 2nd year 3-9 record
Greg MCmackin 2nd year 6-7 record
Nick rolovich 2nd year 2-4?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Sophomore slump for nick rolovich?

Post by Irse »

Looks like it. Maybe we're just expecting too much because he had some success last year. Still think he'll do a good job.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Reality and gut check time. How to turn the season around? Doesn't help when the O-Line coach bails out before the season's halfway point.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

We regressed in Chow's second year too! :D
But nah, that 2013 team was way better than their record showed and should've won at least half of their games.

I think this team just lacks leadership. Hollis, Kema-Kaleiwahea, Lakalaka, Woolsey even I guess are all guys who were looked up to. Who's the guys this year?

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Opponents adjust. They have one year plus of films to review and plan for UH. JJ mentioned changing the playbook by 25% or so each year. Perhaps additional introspection is needed to adjust, and further identify and avoid tendencies. It seems schematic.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I think its a combination of events. Losing DC Lempa, 2-3 O-lineman, no outside WR threat, rookie DC, and losing leaders like Hollis, Lakalaka, Kema, Kaleomatango (sp) doesn't help. And now, we lose Naeole. We're thin on Oline and Dline, that hurts the most player wise, but the defensive philosophy has to change immediately.

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

What did we expect when Rolo came? MW title? National championship? C'mon, we all know the problems for UH football, same problems different coach. Right now with all the injuries and coaching change and the poor recruiting, we are RE- rebuilding, in just his second year as HC. Let Rolo grow into the job. Give him time. Let him make his HC decisions. Hope that he stays here a long while.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

If all this turmoil causes some positive changes on the coaching staff, it will have been worth it

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Fans don't have patience anymore. Win or the chants will start coming.

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

Yes teams had one year to figure him out. Same with Dru Brown. Good coaches adjust. The bad ones gets fired. Doesn't help that we dont have a qualified special teams coordinator, and a defensive coordinator. Sure we had a lot of blocked kicks but our special teams coverage is one of the worst in the nation. Plus we dont have a kicker that can make guarantee field goals past 30 yards

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

No -- JJ should have been the hc.

My number one issue is the failure to land any LOCAL recruits. Unacceptable. Von Appen and Chow were able to land some local recruits. Chow was actually decent/good.

Rolo is a donkey. Popular on social media and does "corny" gimmicks that student/athletes respond to. For some reason, this is not resonating with the local recruits. Disrespected.

Rolo appears to be a good guy, However, ask local recruits what happens when Rolo has one to one conversations during the recruiting process. Blew it with Milton who is far superior to Brown.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I was not a fan of Milton. Milton made the right choice. Good for him.

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:15 am I was not a fan of Milton. Milton made the right choice. Good for him.
Undefeated team Mr. Blindman.

DB can hold Milton's jock strap.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

BYU's Kalani Sitake (1-7) is very similar to Rolo
Former player, 1st year takes team to a bowl win.
2nd year struggling on all phases of the game.

Fresno St Jeff Tedford is in his first year and like Rolo & Sitake, is a former player and turning then program around in year 1. 2018???

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:31 am BYU's Kalani Sitake (1-7) is very similar to Rolo
Former player, 1st year takes team to a bowl win.
2nd year struggling on all phases of the game.

Fresno St Jeff Tedford is in his first year and like Rolo & Sitake, is a former player and turning then program around in year 1. 2018???
What is happening with Tedford right now reminds me of what happened with him when he started at Cal. He took over an abysmal 1-win team and lead them to a winning record his second year.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!