Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 15

BigWave96744

W&L aside, are we where you expected after 4 games

Post by BigWave96744 »

True many of you expected us to be 2-2 so far, but are we performing where you thought we would be after 4 games this season and 18 under Rolo?

BigWave96744

Re: W&L aside, are we where you expected after 4 games

Post by BigWave96744 »

Offense (D): Yes we are putting up yards, but fizzles once we hit the red zone. Offense predictable at times and Dru still stares down recrivers or over or under throws open receivers. Collie still dropping passes & Oline committing too many penalties. Unga and Torres not utilized more at TE.
St Juste and Ursua are the bright lights.

Defense (C+): CB play needs to be revisited by coach Abe. Players still trying to make the highlight hit instead of wrapping up.

Special Teams (C):
- Kickoff and Punt Coverage is bad
- Punt return doesn't go for the block but also doesn't give our weapon Ursua any chance for a return
- Kickoffs are often short allowing for a big return
- Penalties negate big returns
Bright spot are the Block Kicks and Punter Stan Gaudion

Lots of things fixable but after 4 games I feel we have regressed since the Hawaii Bowl win.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

We are where I expected to be but have made too many mistakes that I would not expect from this team.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

What I liked out of the Wyoming game was the defensive backs came up to the receivers and put some pressure on them at the line of scrimmage. The line did a fantastic job opening up holes for the running backs. You can see Dejon Allen opening the hole for Tuiasoa to dive into the end zone. You can also see the offensive linemen taking out the defensive linemen with some of their cross blocks during Diocemy Saint Juste's runs. The other thing I liked was the fact that Keelan Ewaliko and John Ursua got hit hard but hung on to the ball and fought for extra yardage.

What I didn't care for in the game was the two interceptions which killed drives. Also there is no possession receiver although we have receivers that were maybe 6 inches taller than their defensive backs. They had a couple of DBs that look like they were 5'9" or 5'10" and skinny. There were also some bad calls that probably came about because of the home town refereeing. There was a couple of hit out of bounds plays where the runner carried the defender and another where the hit was made in bounds by Posa and their NFL safety got hit out of bounds. There was also a catch made by Dylan Colie for the first down but they marked him 1 yard short by the referee right in front of the play. After replay, they said the play stands which means there was no irrefutable evidence that he made the 1st down but the cameras show that he did. Still too many offsides by the offensive line which ought to be looked at by the coaches as maybe they need to relook how the center snaps at his cadence.
Last edited by shrek2 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I thought the Warriors would only have lost to UCLA at this point with Colorado State at home a huge game for attendance.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

We're not perfect. Didn't expect them to be. The chunks they gave away by being out of position (kickoff), penalties, etc., hurt the end result. Quick fixes for most. Dejaun's holding penalties don't bother me, he has to protect the QB at all times. BUT, his off sides penalties do bother me. Suspensions and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are disappointing, to say the least. Being out of position on special teams for a kick off, is a no no.

But over all, they are doing very good as a team. That Wyoming game was heartbreaker. That kick off return for a TD was a momentum changer. Too bad. Warriors had them. But didn't close.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Disappointing are the knuckleheaded penalties (personal fouls and unsportsman-like conduct). The other penalties are mostly very obvious but can be fixed (false start, etc.). Special teams defensive coverage is sorely lacking this year with misalignment or misreads and missed tackling. The offense can't respond to adversity enough to offset the penalties.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

considering the lack of depth on both lines, i think 2-2 is okay but 3-1 was very possible. i don't think we've seen everything the offense can do yet and that things will start to open up now that the worst part of the road schedule is behind us (first 3 of 4 on the road with trips to wyoming and umass). Wyoming should have been a win, but if the loss motivates them to be better going forward, it'll have been worth the pain.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Our offense is better than i thought we'd be and our defense is about how bad i thought it would be...so yes? the running game has been a pleasant surprise, and Brown even remembers to tuck the ball when he runs sometimes.

Defense is still bad though.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Hard to say. I definitely bought into a lot of the offseason hype, especially with the way the offense played against UMass and MTSU to end last season, and I don't think they've met those expectations. Before the season, i thought Wyoming would be a very tough game and we'd be lucky to keep it close, but turns out that Wyoming isn't as good as they were last year. So it sucks that I think we're still more or less the same team, but it's easy to forget how a year ago we were still in full doom-and-gloom mode with like how Rolo said players hoped to win games rather than expecting to win them. It's just progression, really. We're better now, but that also means expectations are higher

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Neighbor wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:22 am Hard to say. I definitely bought into a lot of the offseason hype, especially with the way the offense played against UMass and MTSU to end last season, and I don't think they've met those expectations. Before the season, i thought Wyoming would be a very tough game and we'd be lucky to keep it close, but turns out that Wyoming isn't as good as they were last year. So it sucks that I think we're still more or less the same team, but it's easy to forget how a year ago we were still in full doom-and-gloom mode with like how Rolo said players hoped to win games rather than expecting to win them. It's just progression, really. We're better now, but that also means expectations are higher
very well said...

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I still don't like the dismissal of Gifford and KT at all.
Penalties are a sign of a lack of discipline and leadership.
Sometimes glib suspensions and dismissals are not what's needed to lead.
I like the recruiting effort and team spirit of the coaching staff.
I can live with close losses...I said as much after Rolovich's final season as offensive coordinator.
I would really like to see us measure up with some big-time competition instead of just caving in.
Saui might just be the ticket on defense. Rolovich also needs time to mature as a head coach.

Yeah, we're where I expected us to be this time of year.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Actually, I thought the Warriors would win the games so far, even possible upset of UCLA. The game I was worried about was Colorado State. They got talent on O and D ... but still predict Warrior victory at home
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:14 am I still don't like the dismissal of Gifford and KT at all.
Penalties are a sign of a lack of discipline and leadership.
Sometimes glib suspensions and dismissals are not what's needed to lead.
I like the recruiting effort and team spirit of the coaching staff.
I can live with close losses...I said as much after Rolovich's final season as offensive coordinator.
I would really like to see us measure up with some big-time competition instead of just caving in.
Saui might just be the ticket on defense. Rolovich also needs time to mature as a head coach.

Yeah, we're where I expected us to be this time of year.
This explains Gifford's dismissal. Another offense after the KT incident
http://www.sportshawaii.com/sh/viewtopi ... =3&t=49746

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:03 pm
This explains Gifford's dismissal. Another offense after the KT incident
http://www.sportshawaii.com/sh/viewtopi ... =3&t=49746
Thanks for the reminder. The administration, which is separate from the coach, definitely needs time to mature as well.