unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by gopunahou »

One question: how did KSK's freshman get to play on the varsity last Saturday? Did the ILH grant them an appeal?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:48 pm Punahou won tonight but cannot perform as inept offensively next week. I hope this is the only time our offense abandons us (save for Barber's sensational TD to seal the win).
@gopunahou: That's right. St Louis will pass your alma mater silly, so your alma mater has to take advantage each time it has the ball. And, while the run game was pretty successful against Kamehameha, it probably won't be against St Louis.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:37 am
ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:05 pm Totally agree with gopunahou, went to watch the game. Struggle for both teams. Kamehameha looks like they won't win another ILH game this year. As for Punahou, what it looked like was that they took them very lightly. That was a different Punahou team that played tonight vs in weeks prior. Defense looks great! But their offense looked like something was wrong. Played down to their level for sure. Hopefully they will iron out the kinks as they go into STL week. Looking forward to watching that game. Should be an interesting one!
I hope so, too. Our defense did shut them out, but was that more on Kamehameha than on us? St. Louis will present way more offensive firepower than Kamehameha did and might give us more trouble offensively than Serra did.
@gopunahou: I'm afraid it was more on Kamehameha. Without their top QB Yam, Kamehameha's O sucks. They simply can't throw worth squat. I think St Louis' pass game will give your alma mater fits. And even if Punahou somehow manages to contain St Louis' pass game, St Louis does have a fairly decent run game, though not outstanding.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:54 pm One question: how did KSK's freshman get to play on the varsity last Saturday? Did the ILH grant them an appeal?
@gopunahou: That's an indication of how hopeless Kamehameha's QB situation is. Their top QB goes down, and all his backups suck. Talk about a drop-off. Heard that the freshman was brought-up from the JV. Can't recall the last time a vars team had to start a freshman QB. I mean, Yam is fairly outstanding at QB, but he keeps getting hurt. He's not doing any darn good sitting on the bench, not even suited-up. Seems that no other QB on their vars can sling the ball decently. No wonder Kamehameha is usually a run-oriented team; they can rarely do anything else.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:05 pm Totally agree with gopunahou, went to watch the game. Struggle for both teams. Kamehameha looks like they won't win another ILH game this year. As for Punahou, what it looked like was that they took them very lightly. That was a different Punahou team that played tonight vs in weeks prior. Defense looks great! But their offense looked like something was wrong. Played down to their level for sure. Hopefully they will iron out the kinks as they go into STL week. Looking forward to watching that game. Should be an interesting one!
@ka'ahupahau706: Agree that Kamehameha will win precisely zero more games this year. Without QB Yam, they're only an above-average team, and above-average doesn't cut it in ILH D1. Agree that unless Punahou fine-tunes its O, it will have a long night against St Louis. Punahou had what, three or four turnovers? The question is: How many of them were caused by Kamehameha's D, and how many were self-inflicted? The question is significant, because St Louis' D can create more turnovers than Kamehameha's D.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:48 pm
@ka'ahupahau706: Agree that Kamehameha will win precisely zero more games this year. Without QB Yam, they're only an above-average team, and above-average doesn't cut it in ILH D1. Agree that unless Punahou fine-tunes its O, it will have a long night against St Louis. Punahou had what, three or four turnovers? The question is: How many of them were caused by Kamehameha's D, and how many were self-inflicted? The question is significant, because St Louis' D can create more turnovers than Kamehameha's D.
It wouldn't be the 1st time Kamehameha has gone winless in ILH play. In 1987, they went 0-8-2. Not surprisingly, one of their ties came against us, as we finished 2-7-1.

My concern about Barber is that he's committed too many turnovers. Also, every year since 2015 we've had at least one game where we've committed six or more turnovers (2015 ILH championship game against STL and 2016 ILH championship game against STL and Kapolei). Hopefully this most recent game is the only one where our offense abandons us.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:25 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:54 pm One question: how did KSK's freshman get to play on the varsity last Saturday? Did the ILH grant them an appeal?
@gopunahou: That's an indication of how hopeless Kamehameha's QB situation is. Their top QB goes down, and all his backups suck. Talk about a drop-off. Heard that the freshman was brought-up from the JV. Can't recall the last time a vars team had to start a freshman QB. I mean, Yam is fairly outstanding at QB, but he keeps getting hurt. He's not doing any darn good sitting on the bench, not even suited-up. Seems that no other QB on their vars can sling the ball decently. No wonder Kamehameha is usually a run-oriented team; they can rarely do anything else.
I wonder if the ILH made an exception. One of the rules prohibits freshmen from playing on the varsity. Did they let Kamehameha play with a freshman because they were desperate?

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

It was a new rule implemented this year. No waivers needed.

But damn, I was thinking all high and mighty on Kailua, but I guess not.

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

HS Football Fanatic - I believe they had 5 turnovers or 6, i'm not sure but it was ridiculous! Haha! Anyway, I want to say it was all self inflicted, bad snap handling and having all the time in the world to throw back their and Barber still threw an interception. So I'm pretty sure it was Punahou shooting themselves in the foot. What's scary if you are a Punahou fan is that they are capable of putting up points against a quality team, I guess it depends on what offense shows up that night. I think I would be okay if Kamehameha's defense was a stout defense, but they didn't seem like they were doing anything too cause pressure, so that's how I know it was a lot of mental mistakes than Kamehameha making plays. Anyway, I'm going to write Kamehameha off already, sorry Imua fans. Looking forward to Punahou vs STL already.

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Does anyone know which receiver is sitting out for STL this week? I heard one of the receivers got kicked out during the Kamehameha game, so by rule they sit out on their following game. If anyone can confirm?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:58 pm
It wouldn't be the 1st time Kamehameha has gone winless in ILH play. In 1987, they went 0-8-2. Not surprisingly, one of their ties came against us, as we finished 2-7-1.

My concern about Barber is that he's committed too many turnovers. Also, every year since 2015 we've had at least one game where we've committed six or more turnovers (2015 ILH championship game against STL and 2016 ILH championship game against STL and Kapolei). Hopefully this most recent game is the only one where our offense abandons us.
@gopunahou: If I recall correctly, Kamehameha had the smallest O-line in school history in '86 or '87. This was just after Cal Chai retired, and Kamehameha hired someone, his name escapes me, but I see his face. He was HC for only a very few years, possibly only one or two, even. Anyway, that new coach emphasized agility and speed on the O-line, so he put somewhat smallish but fast guys on his O-line. Personally, I can see agility and speed on the D-line, but I would emphasize size on the O-line. Imagine a Kamehameha O-line that's somewhat small. Maybe that's why Kamehameha sucked that year. Kamehameha often can't throw the ball for beans, but they almost always have a big O-line. Kamehameha and Farrington seem to be similar almost every year in that sense: Big O-line (especially Farrington), but can't throw the ball.

Again, your alma mater can't afford to turn the ball over constantly against St Louis. With St Louis' quick-strike high-octane pass game, they'll make Punahou pay right away.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Bernie Silva coached KSK between 1985 and 1987.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:45 pm
It was a new rule implemented this year. No waivers needed.

But damn, I was thinking all high and mighty on Kailua, but I guess not.
@Neighbor: Yep. I could see Kapolei beating Kailua, but not 33-0. It seems that every year, Kailua's O-line is like Farrington's O-line: Big and fat, but kind of slow. Kapolei's defensive down-linemen obviously found a way to get around them.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:59 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:25 pm
I wonder if the ILH made an exception. One of the rules prohibits freshmen from playing on the varsity. Did they let Kamehameha play with a freshman because they were desperate?
@gopunahou: Probably. Over the past seven years, Kamehameha has firmly established itself as the most desperate school in ILH D1.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:33 pm Bernie Silva coached KSK between 1985 and 1987.
@gopunahou: Yes. That's him. I recognize the name right away. Imagine an HC who believes that it's more important that an O-line be fast and agile, than big. Sounds pretty lame to me. I mean, obviously you want your O-line to be as agile as possible, but not that you put smaller guys in there to try to achieve that agility. Better to take your chances using big guys, even though they might be slower.