NBA: USA vs the World

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

NBA: USA vs the World

Post by browndog »

Got a debate at work. Who would win?
USA
F Garnett
F Wallace, Ben
C Shaq
G Kobe
G Billups

Them
F Nowitzski
F Duncan
C Yao
G Nash
G Manu Ginoblli

PCBoy
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: Miami Heat
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by PCBoy »

They had this on Mike & Mike in the Morning on ESPN radio today. Would the world team have enough quality players for the bench? Paul Gasol and Tony Parker?

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

I would switch Garnett to PF, and put T-Mac as SF.
Forza Italia, campioni del mondo!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Probably not the US team. They're too selfish. The world team would play more like a team.
ImageImage

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Re: NBA: USA vs the World

Post by Scott »

browndog wrote:Got a debate at work. Who would win?
USA
F Garnett
F Wallace, Ben
C Shaq
G Kobe
G Billups

Them
F Nowitzski
F Duncan
C Yao
G Nash
G Manu Ginoblli
I didn't know Tim Duncan wasn't American? Where is he from?
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

Virgin Islands.

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

My starting 5 would be different:
G: Iverson
G: Kobe
F: Lebron
F: Garnet
C: Shaq

Regardless if there are head cases in this starting 5, I'll take the calculated risk simply because they will be playing for their country and not for a team or for money. The bottom line is you got 3 (Kobe/Lebron/Iverson) of the most determined people in the NBA who will win at all costs.

eyelandboy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by eyelandboy »

USA all the way...You saw in the All-Star Game, Yao and Nowitzki weren't their normal selves with all that talent on the floor at the same time.
My starting 5 though for US would be...

PG -Chauncey Billups
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Lebron James
PF - Kevin Garnett
C - Shaquille O'neal

themainevent
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by themainevent »

Billups over Iverson? No way in hell:

PG: Allen Iverson
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Lebron James
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Elton Brand

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

I'm sorry guys, but I'd take T-Mac over LaBron right now. He's a better scorer, and way better in the clutch.

As for Iverson, I would not start him with Kobe. With our potential line-up You need a pass minded PG over a shooting PG. Besides, Iverson is more of a SG. Hell, I'd put Kidd over Iverson (for starting) Also, I think D-Wade is better than LeBron.

themainevent
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by themainevent »

BKWarrior wrote:I'm sorry guys, but I'd take T-Mac over LaBron right now. He's a better scorer, and way better in the clutch.

As for Iverson, I would not start him with Kobe. With our potential line-up You need a pass minded PG over a shooting PG. Besides, Iverson is more of a SG. Hell, I'd put Kidd over Iverson (for starting) Also, I think D-Wade is better than LeBron.
BK umm....you do realize that King James is up on T-Mac in EVERY offensive and defensive category except free throw %, and that's including the time that T-Mac had to pad his stats with Yao Ming out. I would give the last shot to the dude shooting 48% from the floor and 35% from 3's, not the guy shooting 40 and 29. T-Mac's a good player but he's plateaued from his Orlando days, and he might've actually regressed a bit.

LeBron is probably better than Kobe, and Kobe is better than DWade.

With AI, he can be a true point if he needs to be. Check out the all-star games. He always gets a ton of assists because he's surrounded by scorers. The only reason he has to put up so many shots now is because he is, has been, and will always be the team in Philly. CWebb is a shadow of the player he was a few years ago with the Kings. And Kory Korver? Samuel Dallembert? The only reason they get open shots is because every single team's gameplan is to stop AI. Look at the guys they've brought in for "help". Derrick Coleman? Glenn Robinson? Imagine if AI didn't drop 30 a game. Philly wouldn't win jack. Jason Kidd has ALWAYS been surrounded by scorers no matter what team he's played for, and no matter how bad the team was even. Jason Kidd has never had to carry a team's scoring load down the stretch. He's been lucky enough to go to teams that have guys who can already score; they just needed someone to get the ball to them.

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

Jason Kidd has never had to carry a team's scoring load down the stretch.
Yup...
He's been lucky enough to go to teams that have guys who can already score; they just needed someone to get the ball to them.
And that's exactly what a PG is supposed to do. He's not supposed to carry the team's scoring load, and he gets the ball to his scorers. AI is a SG, Kidd is a PG, the team needs a PG.

As for T-Mac, unlike LeBron, he does not dissapear as easily when the game is on the line, on a big stage, he is better, and international competition is a BIG stage. When you hear the b-ball anylists, their complaint is just that, he is not as good when the game is on the line. As for LeBron being better than Kobe, I have to disagree. Kobe is the MVP in my opinion, he's carrying a sorry a$$ team on his back. He's no MJ, but he's the closest the NBA has.

themainevent
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by themainevent »

The Cavs aren't exactly stacked either. Lamar Odom is better than anyone else on the Cavs roster. The difference between Kobe and LeBron is that LeBron elevates the play of his teamates better than Kobe. The Lakers offense is Kobe doing whatever the hell he wants to and four other guys standing around. If you watch the two in how they play within the team's offense you'll see the difference.

With T-Mac, ask any GM and Coach if they had a choice between King James and McGrady for who they'd pick, and LeBron would win hands down. Most analysts don't know sh*t. That's why they're analysts.

With Kidd, it wouldn't matter that much who ran the point to be honest with the other four guys on the floor. But the reason why I don't like Kidd is because of his attitude. He has a history of leading mutinys against his coaches and getting them fired, from when he at Cal until Byron Scott a couple of years ago. AI has clashed with his coaches but he's never lead or been apart of a team revolt against his coach.

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

Tim Duncan is Americanized and I'm sure he played for the U.S. in the Olympics already.
No matter what, be happy you still got your health!

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

The dream team 1 was by far the best not just because of the superior talent they had but because they knew how to play as a "team"!
Now days the players don't know how to do that.
No matter what, be happy you still got your health!