Aloha Stadium - Football or Baseball Configuration?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Baseball
3%
Football
97%

Total votes: 34

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

What do you think should be done? Advertiser article spells out the pros and cons:

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs ... 50337/1032

TemeculaWarrior
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TemeculaWarrior »

What raised a question in my mind was why the stadium, configured for football, couldn't be used for soccer.
I walked around that field a number of times with CoachKen during the HS Playoffs last year.
There seemed to me to be plenty of width, and the length is well over 110 meters.
FIFA laws for the dimensions of a soccer field are a bit more flexible than for US Football.
FIFA law states a minimum and maximum width and length for a "pitch" to be within prescribed specifications.

TW 8)

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Who the Heck uses ALoha Stadium for Baseball???
HPU and it's 50 fans...
Hawaii HS and it's 50 fans...

I said years ago on the BC show they should revamp the stadium to only football and add in seats in the corners...
They want to make the stadium looked packed, DO NOT sell the Yellow Section seats unless it's a big game...

Moving this to the Football Section :D

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

As a mainlander, I'm perplexed Aloha Stadium has even keep it's baseball configuration since the Hawaii Islanders Pacific Coast League club left the Islands in the early 1990s (If I'm wrong on the dates PLEASE correct me).

I'd say "stay with it's football configuration permamently until a major league baseball franchise were to move to Honolulu." Before anyone says it, "don't hold your breath on a MLB team coming!"

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

It’s a no brainer, Aloha Stadium should be locked in the football configuration ASAP.

Soccer state championships can be showcased at the soccer complex at Waipio; the baseball state championships can be showcased at UH’s Murakami Stadium; league games for and soccer, baseball can be played at various fields thoughout Oahu that has enough seating to accommodate the smallish crowds.

Even with the facts/statistics slapping him in the face, Alvin Narimatsu still wants the stadium in the baseball configuration. This guy has no vision for the future, and no $ sense. He needs a course in economics 101. Whereas Keven Chong Kee is a visionary. Super Bowl in Hawaii would be a coup. JMHO.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

Hey i actually posted this article before UHWarriors did. Thats not fair that my thread got locked. Ahhh I guess know one likes me haha!
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:03 am Post subject: Aloha Stadium may be in PERMANENT Configuration!!!
-Couz808

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:55 am Post subject: Aloha Stadium - Football or Baseball Configuration?
-UHWarriors

-CA

TemeculaWarrior
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

couz808 wrote:Hey i actually posted this article before UHWarriors did. Thats not fair that my thread got locked. Ahhh I guess know one likes me haha!
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:03 am Post subject: Aloha Stadium may be in PERMANENT Configuration!!!
-Couz808
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:55 am Post subject: Aloha Stadium - Football or Baseball Configuration?
-UHWarriors

-CA
Hey, Couz, for a baker by trade, you are very intuitive.
I can vouch for the fact that you're correct, too... no one likes you at all.
The pricing level you established for your baked goods is way too "high!"

Here's the deal... uhwarriors, in his infinite wisdom and prophetic powers, started a POLL thread.
If you remember, you started off with a hack job, I mean, an “edited” version of the article.
The other "part" of the article you posted is still intact, isn't it?

Even if it's not intact, no one likes you, Couz. Lower your prices.

TW 8)
Last edited by TemeculaWarrior on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PCBoy
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: Miami Heat
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by PCBoy »

It should stay in football configuration. But it really should just be knocked down already. :lol:

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

couz808 wrote:Hey i actually posted this article before UHWarriors did. Thats not fair that my thread got locked. Ahhh I guess know one likes me haha!
-Couz808

-UHWarriors

-CA
Sorry, Couz. I was trying to figure out how to create a poll in your thread but it didn't seem possible, so I started another thread. Don't worry, we like you.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

TemeculaWarrior wrote:What raised a question in my mind was why the stadium, configured for football, couldn't be used for soccer.
I walked around that field a number of times with CoachKen during the HS Playoffs last year.
There seemed to me to be plenty of width, and the length is well over 110 meters.
FIFA laws for the dimensions of a soccer field are a bit more flexible than for US Football.
FIFA law states a minimum and maximum width and length for a "pitch" to be within prescribed specifications.

TW 8)
What are the minimum dimensions for soccer? Aloha Stadium is really tight at the corners of the endzone so a soccer field could be no bigger than a football field. The football field is 160' (53.33 yards) wide by 360' (120 yards) long. I think the width is going to be the problem.

PCBoy
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: Miami Heat
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by PCBoy »

uhwarriors wrote:What are the minimum dimensions for soccer? Aloha Stadium is really tight at the corners of the endzone so a soccer field could be no bigger than a football field. The football field is 160' (53.33 yards) wide by 360' (120 yards) long. I think the width is going to be the problem.

http://www.athleticfieldmarker.com/soccerfield.html
"The field of play shall be rectangular, the width of which shall not exceed the length. The width shall not be more than 80 yards (73.15M) nor less than 65 yards (59.44m) and the length shall not be more than 120 yards (109.72m) nor less than 110 yards (100.58m); however, fields of less than minimal dimensions may be used by prior written mutual consent of the competing institutions. The optimum size is 75 yards (68.58m) by 120 yards (109.73m)."

TemeculaWarrior
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Laws of the Game 2005
July 2005
Authorized by the International Football Association Board
http://www.fifa.com/documents/fifa/laws/LOTG2005_e.pdf

LAW 1 – THE FIELD OF PLAY
Field surface
Matches may be played on natural or artificial surfaces, according to the rules of the competition.

Dimensions
The field of play must be rectangular.
The length of the touch line must be greater than the length of the goal line.
Length: minimum 90 m (100 yds)
maximum 120 m (130 yds)
Width: minimum 45 m (50 yds)
maximum 90 m (100 yds)

International Matches
Length: minimum 100 m (110 yds)
maximum 110 m (120 yds)
Width: minimum 64 m (70 yds)
maximum 75 m (80 yds)

The Laws of the Game may be modified when FIFA convenes March 2006.

TW 8)

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

The state would have to out of thier fricken minds is they lock it into a baseball stadium.

JWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NFL: Atlanta Falcons

Post by JWarrior »

I vote football.
ImageImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

tangomike wrote:The state would have to out of thier fricken minds is they lock it into a baseball stadium.
Those knuckleheads better consult with the NFL before doing something at drastically stupid as that... You wouldn't want the NFL to pull the ProBowl out of Hawaii because the venue is suited for a baseball field (used by LL, HS, and HPU :roll: )