New Coach for Idaho

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

New Coach for Idaho

Post by noasark2x2 »

I hat this guy who really took the hurricanes a part like Coker is doing now

Erickson expected to be named next Idaho coachESPN.com news services

Dennis Erickson is expected to be named the new head coach at the University of Idaho on Wednesday.

Erickson told ESPN's Joe Schad on Wednesday afternoon that he was headed to campus but that the deal was not yet official.

"You can be successful at Idaho," Erickson told Schad. "I coached there more than 20 years ago and things have changed. We were Division I-AA then. So things are different, but good. I'm excited about getting back into coaching. It was so hard for us to be out of it this past year. I wanted to get back into this so badly."

Idaho athletic director Rob Spear told The Spokesman-Review newspaper in Spokane, Wash., that he anticipated Erickson would accept an offer to coach the school.

The school scheduled a late afternoon news conference, and Spear said no further talks had been scheduled with other prospective replacements for Nick Holt, who quit Monday.

Erickson, 58, turned Idaho into one of the top teams in the nation at the I-AA level when he coached the Vandals from 1982 to 1985. He went on to compile a 144-57-1 record as a head coach at Idaho, Wyoming, Washington State, Miami and Oregon State. His Miami teams won national championships in 1989 and 1991. He had less success in the NFL, going 31-33 in four years at the helm of the Seattle Seahawks and 9-23 in two seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, who fired him after the 2004 season.

Erickson said he still receives $2.5 million per year from the 49ers. He was fired with three years left on his five-year, $12.5 million contract.

If he takes the Idaho coaching job, his annual salary will likely be about $205,000.

"It's not about the money, it's about coaching," Erickson said. "I'm a coach. It's all I've done all my life. Making me sit out last year made me appreciate it even more."

Between the two NFL jobs he revived a moribund Oregon State program, directing the Beavers to a 31-17 record, including a school-best mark of 11-1 and a 41-9 victory over Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl in the 2000 season.

Idaho has interviewed at least three other candidates -- Montana State head coach Mike Kramer, Arizona assistant Kasey Dunn and Idaho assistant head coach Jeff Mills.

The Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday that Holt, a day after saying he was leaving Idaho to become the defensive line coach for the St. Louis Rams, had instead been hired by Southern California as defensive coordinator. Holt rejoins USC head coach Pete Carroll, whom he served as linebackers coach from 2001-2003.

Holt, 43, led Idaho into the Western Athletic Conference and compiled a 5-18 record with the Vandals, including 2-9 last year.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Let's Go Bows

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

I betca a beer or tea in BigWave's case that the "Weasel" leaves Moscow, ID within 1 year!!!!

jediwarrior
All-conference
All-conference

Post by jediwarrior »

I think DE is a good pick-up for Idaho.

They needed something that could prove to the WAC that they "belonged". And I think this may have done it.

Checking out OSU's board, they think their rivalry with Idaho will finally start to become "competitive".

I think DE is going to be tougher for Hawaii than Holt was.

Looking forward to seeing what he brings into Aloha Stadium this year.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

It'll be good for the WAC.
ImageImage

flipen
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Mariners
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Seahawks

Post by flipen »

Wow, their recruits signed to be with Coach Holt and now they get to be with an even better coach :lol:

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

ericksen has been a winner at every college he's coached at.

i expect ericksen to make idaho an immediate contender.

what's good for idaho is good for the wac.

what's good for the wac is good for hawaii.

so, welcome aboard, coach ericksen.

sponger48
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by sponger48 »

hmmm, Pat Hill, June Jones, Jerry Glanville, Hal Mumme, Dick Tomey, Chris Ault and Dennis Erickson. Can't remember other coaches though. IF the WAC can take the show on the road and consistantly win, it will start to turn some heads.

By the way, its official at espn.com. Benson needs to work out a better tv deal.!!!
Hawaii, home of WORLD Championship baseball!!!!
Our name is the WARRIORS!!!!
Anything is possible, if you don't give up!

jediwarrior
All-conference
All-conference

Post by jediwarrior »

Sponger - I agree. The ESPN contract needs to be re-written to include more football games and...of course, Big Monday's for B-Ball.

I would imagine the contract should be finalized before the start of football season.

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

Well, with DE at Idaho, look at him to start throwing the ball all over the place very similar to the Mike Price, Joe Tiller school of spread passing.
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

rodfather wrote:Well, with DE at Idaho, look at him to start throwing the ball all over the place very similar to the Mike Price, Joe Tiller school of spread passing.
And we ALL know where Joe Tiller used to coach at, don't we?

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

moving this to the WAC board.