Super Bust.........

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Super Bust.........

Post by lewpac »

See, I told you so..................nobody cares!!
Look at the MVP of this Subpar Bowl......Hines Ward. Used to be the MVP was a legend, a sure pick for the Hall of Fame, a player for the decades.
Only by attrition, Ward is the MVP in a game the could've been replaced by a week four Monday Night Football fest.
I sat here waiting for something, ANYTHING, to get my attention. All I got was a big phizzz.
Like I've been advocating, this "new" NFL, the NFL of salary cap and free agency, this NFL where I'm warry to buy a jersy of any player, the NFL where Tampa, Atlanta or Seattle can go to a Super Bowl doesn't get me exited.
The "championship" of NFL football has become a lesser of evil's. Again, the MVP of any Super Bowl tells a tale. Used to be a Marcus Allen, a Bart Starr, a Lynn Swann, a Jerry Rice, a John Riggins, a Troy Aikman, etc.........defined the game. That's what I'm talking about. I like Ward, but he's the MVP by attrition, nobody else qualified, nobody else stood out. Have to give it to somebody, why not Ward? Could've given it to Rothlisberger or Bettis and noone would've flinched.
Noone stood out on either side!
And that's the story of today's NFL. There's NO real champion, no real team, no real superstars. It's a league of parity and vanilla compition, where Seattle and Carolina compete to represent the NFC. Shawn Alexander is the go-to guy, the MVP of the league, in the Super Bowl, and nobody knows about it after the game.
Unheard of in days gone by.
I hate this new crap. I hate this new NFL where any clown team can go to the dance and go 4-12 the next year.
Thankfully, NASCAR season is upon us.......!!!!!!

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

There is a real champion, the Steelers. The Steelers are such a good TEAM that no one has to stand out. A great team doesn't need a super star. Look at the Pistons, great players but none is a super star in their own right.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

There is a real champion, the Steelers. The Steelers are such a good TEAM that no one has to stand out. A great team doesn't need a super star. Look at the Pistons, great players but no one on the team is above the team.

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

Post by noasark2x2 »

What a game!!! Man the ebbs and flows of this game were pretty remarkable!!! I really enjoyed the fact that Hines Ward was finally recognized as the bir time player that he is, Man this guy is going to make some big money next year. What a story remeber how emotional he was last year when he thought that the bus was going to retire with out a ring, And then to have to win all your playof game on the road. What a story!!! It was sweet.
Just think how they have overcome so much to win it all. It has guys who cheer for teams like the dolphins (me) excited for next year!!!
Let's Go Bows

lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lewpac »

You're kidding right? Seriously now, do you really mean what you say?
Intrigue? Drama? Intense? Story Line?
Give me a big fat break! This baloney called the NFL "championship" has been reduced to the lesser attrition of all the mediocre teams making it to the end.
Day was, the Super Bowl Winner was a highlight reel with at least a half dozen hall of fame players. The first 25 Super Bowls had players who's jersey's live in infamy.
The last 15 "subpar bowls" smack of the NBA. An atmoshphere of "whoever" shows up, the lucky lot of several mediocre teams, and gets to waltz around some stadium as "champions".
Very much unlike the Steelers of the 70's, the 90's Cowgods, the Raiders and the Skins of the 70's.
The NFC championship players of last year ( Eagles & Falcons) didn't even go to the playoffs this year. A phenomenom we better get used to.
Next thing you know, the Browns will be playing the Saints in the "big game". Again, nobody will give a rat's butt.
At least Troy Aikman made the Hall of Fame!!! SANITY PREVAILS!!!!

bentofan
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by bentofan »

So are you saying that the Hawks aren't as good as the other 26 teams in the NFL? If they aren't that good then why are they in the Superbowl?
Follow men's eyes as they look to the skies
The shifting shafts of shining weave the fabric of their dreams...Rush-"Jacob's Ladder"

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

The game, like I had said earlier, was not that exciting a matchup to me. I figured the Steelers would win by more than 10 points, but I thought the score would be higher.
I agree about Hines Ward, he will, hopefully, get the recognition he deserves, he's a great player, and it showed. Again, not a very good game, but at least it was close for most of the game. Seattle choked, and called bad plays for Hasselback. In return he made bad plays.
Forza Italia, campioni del mondo!

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter

Post by noasark2x2 »

Lewpac I am serious. I am happy for the bus and for Hines Ward. When you say that the original teams are not there and nobody cares who are these original teams. Because if we are talking really original than how many teams is that 12???

Blame it on Broadway Joe it is his fault for your misery
Let's Go Bows

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

Bleh, the greatest superbowl victory ever. J...E....T...S...JETS JETS JETS! Yea \:D/

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

BKWarrior wrote:
Bleh, the greatest superbowl victory ever. J...E....T...S...JETS JETS JETS! Yea \:D/
BTW, the only TD Baltimore scored in that landmark game was made by a University of Wyoming grad!

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

and his name was.....

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

BKWarrior wrote:and his name was.....
I KNEW you were going to ask that. I just KNEW....

Looks like I'll have to do some research...

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter

Post by noasark2x2 »

Yeah that stupid "greatest Superbowl Ever." Is what started the slide that has made lewpacs life miserable. Damm you Joe Namath!!!
I really enjoy the NFL because you are not sure who could end up winning it all.
In the NBA you know it is either the Pistons or the Spurs. That sucks. I think that is why i was so happy with the White Sox winning the title because then I didn't have to watch the stupid Yankees and Redsox mellow drama.[/quote]
Let's Go Bows

lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lewpac »

Noasark, just some facts here. Undistubutable and undeniable as they are........
1. NFL MVP in the Super Bowl, a non factor....unheard of.
2. Winning Super Bowl QB, below a 25 qb ranking........unheard of.
3. Hines Ward, 6 catches, 100-some yards, journymans work= MVP...........unheard of. (Attrition award, noone else to give it to.)
4. Biggest story, Jerome Bettis. Little effect on the game....unheard of.
5. Porter/Stevens buildup, a dud........unheard of.
6. AFTER the SUPER BOWL GAME, name me 5 Seahawks........unheard of.
7. 50/50 chance that one, if not both of these teams will miss the playoffs next year (Falcons-Eagles anyone?).....unheard of.
8. SB MVP's used to that of legend, Hall of Famers (Bradshaw, Allen, Staubach, Starr, Namath, Belitnikoff, Plunkett, Montana, Young, E. Smith, Aikman, Rice, Riggins, Stabler, Elway, etc.....), household names, infamy! Now we have Hines Ward, Desmond Howard, Dionne Branch and whoever from the mighty Ravens and Buccaneers!!...unheard of.
9. The NFC representative in the new "super bowl" cannot run a two minute drill at the end of both half's........unheard of.
10. The Bears get a home bye in the playoffs.........unheard of.
11. The Colts, undefeated and all for most of the season, puke-out....unheard of (Dolphins, Pat's, Bears, etc....)
12. Super Bowl games in Detroit (the city of Bodily Harm)...unheard of.
13. Mark you calendar.........February 2007, the Saints vs. the Browns in "Super Bowl" 41! Noone will care.......AGAIN..........unheard of!!!!!!!!!!

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

Intresting....
I agree with most of what you said but...
Hines was brilliant, and he's always been one of the leagues best.
Colts choked, but I still wanted them in the SB. I was shocked! Detroit does suck, it was a bad move. They need to have it near NY soon!
Browns and Saints? :lol: I wouldn't soubt it the way these past seasons have gone. I miss the dynasty days, but it is somewhat exciting to have teams come outta no where and win it. Shows that no one can be takin lightly, and all games will be more competitive, instead of having teams roll over most. Almost all games are worth watching, though I believe College Football is better.
Who did you want to see in the SB, lewpac?