Warriors Wrap Up Third Week Of Football Practice With Scrimm

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Scrimmage this afternoon!... Friday, April 13

Post by madeinhawaii »

Chow said the Warriors will have their first scrimmage this afternoon.

Chow said there will be 60 plays, with the first and second teams getting 30 players apiece.

http://warriorbeat.staradvertiserblogs. ... nt-1084848

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

hilo65
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: Any team with UH players

Re: Scrimmage this afternoon!... Friday, April 13

Post by hilo65 »

Do u have any idea what time it will be?

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

hilo65 wrote:Do u have any idea what time it will be?
Practice starts at 3:30... so it won't be till at least 4. I think they always do at least 30 minutes of drills before getting into any formation.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

If you're attending the scrimmage today.. you may want to look out for these things that ayywhole has described on the Scout forum.

ayywhole wrote:
I have been to three practices and believe me..Graves is not up to the task now. He throws too many picks and overthrow his receivers quite a bit.

In the RnS(4 receivers) the bodies are spread out...naturally creating space to throw and room to roam. With the power running game and tight end everyone is near the line of scrimmage and he get his ball batted quite a few times and is unable to find his receivers in a crowd.

I honestly think "short qbs" will have problems in this offense because like I mentioned....they have to look over and thru a crowd near the line of scrimmage as opposed to looking into a crowd down the field. Woolsey also have his problems but he is a freshman so I kinda give him leeway.

Of course, this is a pro set offense so we need pro type qb. Size matter in this offense and unfortunately our previous coach recruited a bunch of 6fts and now we are "stuck" with them.

To me, Woosley make mistakes but I think he has more potential because he is the better pure passer. Graves is supposed to be more maturity and have the ability to get out of trouble, but he makes too much mistakes IMHO.

If the QB situation does not improve, I guess Norm is going to have to cut the playbook down a little and just rely on the running game(like he did in Utah when he lost his starting qb and his second stringer was lousy).

So what I can expect this coming season is a offense that may rely on running and short passing. The Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart type of offense will have to wait until we find a qb like them.

I still have hope for a good season for our team...but the season will be on the shoulders of the defense, special team and ball control offense. I doubt our qbs will be putting up numbers like former Chow qbs.
PochoBoy wrote:
from what you're witnessing does UH have a running game? Geez

Ayywhole wrote:
Its really hard to tell because they didn't tackle the runners when I watched the few times. But I liked Samson Anguay because he has the ability to juke and then the speed to take it to the house. He seemed like a tough runner for his size too.

Joey looked same to me. He really need room to operate. Even though he is 230lb he doesn't seems to run people over. To me Joey is a finesse 230lb rb....not a powerful 230lb.

Will Gregory showed some flashes but is strictly a straight ahead runner in the mold of Leon Wright Jackson. If he get past the hole he can do damage.

Amadi looked like a perfect third down back. Most of the big plays he broke were swing passes out of the backfield or screens. He might have fumblitis because I saw him do punishment drills twice for fumbling the ball. If he does have fumbling problem, sending him into the line of scrimmage with everyone pawing at the ball will be diasterous. It is best he play the slot or catch passes out of the backfield.

The fullbacks looked blah to me. Both Leaf and Elisara are big dude but hard to get excited over 3-4 yard runs up the middle.

Sterling Jackson is hurt so I don't know what to think of him. I think he would be a pretty good one because he has size 220-230lb and speed. Joey has size but no speed. Samson has speed and quickness but no size. Amadi is new to the position and will take time for him to get used to being pounded by 300lb linemen. Will is fast but only if he gets out in the open.

UH will no doubt rotate rbs to keep them fresh and also to give opponents different looks. I can see Joey, Sterling and Samson being the top 3 when the season open.

Also from Intensity:
A while ago, before his hiring, we discussed the variety of ways Coach could go with this. Should he adapt his offense to current personnel, it is not out of the realm of possibility that we may see 3 WR sets (Which Stephen Tsai confirmed yesterday), whether he runs it pure hybrid WCO or more rollout I think he already has a full understanding of our limitations and strengths....

With that said....I think it's a no brainer that we will have a QB that will have to be proficient in a 3/5 step drop, it's the backbone to any style of WCO....or so I've studied according to conventional thought. Unfortunately, I think Woolsey as a frosh, will have the offense come more naturally to him. Graves has that no quit, I wanna win at all means mentality, but the intelligent/technical types and not the gunslingers have historically done better in Coach Chow's offensive systems.

Know what you mean about him not being able to throw hot.... He is a tuck and run type of guy right now. I think Coach Chow will have to articulately structure around that habit or I see him getting sat. Hopefully in Max pro he will be able to step up and make throws...have confidence in his WR's breaks...accuracy is not his calling card but rollout options are.

In a back story....I'm really excited to see who'll emerge as our big play back. Haven't heard much about Amadi/Jackson who I felt would be right there but Iosefa seems to be a Asiata hybrid, big like him but runs better.

I'll be tickled pink when they come to Maui and I get to see the team live...can't wait.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Looks like those two told it like it is. No kool aid involved. They're probably dead on.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

J-Rod wrote:Looks like those two told it like it is. No kool aid involved. They're probably dead on.
I agree.. good stuff.
Here's the link ... there's a tad more... http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=219&f=1136&t=8901394

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

madeinhawaii wrote: I agree.. good stuff.
Here's the link ... there's a tad more... http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=219&f=1136&t=8901394
Thanks for providing the link....Glad those two made the effort to tell it like it is. I want the truth, not the watered-down homer version to make everyone feel good about the Chow era. I think great things are ahead for this program, but nobody can deny the hand that was given to Norm to begin his era wasn't exactly a straight flush. This will take time and patience.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Hard to get excited over 3-4 yard runs? When its 3rd and less than 3 those runs will be very exciting. If they were RB's I'd understand, but other than block that's exactly what FB's are supposed to do.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I think its too early to make these type of analysis. I say wait until spring practice is over.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

J-Rod wrote:Looks like those two told it like it is. No kool aid involved. They're probably dead on.
While we understand it's his perception, most people's perceptions are their reality. I agree, he's calling it like he sees it.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

The thing is, I've always felt that the back up quarterbacks last season had a tendency to throw too many picks. Maybe they are telegraphing their intended target too soon, forcing it late. I don't know. The reports of multiple interceptions during practice always bothers me. But it's Spring... everybody's learning new things, making mistakes, but hopefully improving each step of the way. Who knows? Come fall, one of the other Qbacks might surprise us all.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

just FYI, if you're headed down to the campus today, there's a current security alert on campus looking for a distraught dude who may or may not be armed. info here: http://www.hawaii.edu/security/

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

ubercow wrote:just FYI, if you're headed down to the campus today, there's a current security alert on campus looking for a distraught dude who may or may not be armed. info here: http://www.hawaii.edu/security/
update: according to hawaiinewsnow the dude is in police custody http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1742 ... noa-campus

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

madeinhawaii wrote:The thing is, I've always felt that the back up quarterbacks last season had a tendency to throw too many picks. Maybe they are telegraphing their intended target too soon, forcing it late. I don't know. The reports of multiple interceptions during practice always bothers me. But it's Spring... everybody's learning new things, making mistakes, but hopefully improving each step of the way. Who knows? Come fall, one of the other Qbacks might surprise us all.
Ughh...it was like a qb epidemic that spread from the starter.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

H20 wrote:Hard to get excited over 3-4 yard runs? When its 3rd and less than 3 those runs will be very exciting. If they were RB's I'd understand, but other than block that's exactly what FB's are supposed to do.
:lol: :lol: Just what I was thinking as I read it.