Is it true that Ohio State wants to play us?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Is it true that Ohio State wants to play us?

Post by couz808 »

One of the reporters in the norm chow press conference mentioned Ohio State wants to play us next year as their bowl game. If thats true man our schedule is gonna be the toughest in the country.

hilo65
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: Any team with UH players

Re: Is it true that Ohio State wants to play us?

Post by hilo65 »

I love how Coach Chow's response was "Bring um on. Bring anybody on. Why would you not want to play the best to get better?"

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

It's a rumor since they don't have a bowl game next year.

rocket808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by rocket808 »

i think OSU wants to come to Hawaii in lieu of a bowl game. Coming to Hawaii is a "bowl game" for many
UH grad
active Hawaii road game attender

GO WARRIORS!!

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

rocket808 wrote:i think OSU wants to come to Hawaii in lieu of a bowl game. Coming to Hawaii is a "bowl game" for many
The same thing happened last year or the year before that where a team was banned from playing in a bowl game and the NCAA said they could not play an extra game at Hawaii as their bowl game. We shall see what happens. In that case Penn State might be coming here too. Nah you don't get banned for child molesting you get banned for cheating.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Kama'aina UH
Starter
Starter
MLB: Angels/Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Kama'aina UH »

couz808 wrote:One of the reporters in the norm chow press conference mentioned Ohio State wants to play us next year as their bowl game. If thats true man our schedule is gonna be the toughest in the country.
Even playing USC and tOSU doesn't get us anywhere near the toughest schedule when you play New Mexico, UNLV, and Colorado State. Do we play UC Davis again? This past year we were ranked in the 100's/120 in "toughest schedule" category and look like that shaped up.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

I'm all for the Buckeyes coming to Hawai'i but with a caveat. It has to be a series. Two away, two home games each over the next 10 years, period. Same thing with the Nittany Lions or any other BCS school Hawai'i doesn't normally play with. Just like what was done with Alabama.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

I can see this happening ala Bama in '02 and '03. I'm w/, Norm. Bring 'em on!!

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

We could use the big name schools here in Hawai'i. Crowd would be at least 40,000

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Unfortunately, I believe there is no 13th game exemption for sanctioned teams, anymore.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Prosaic
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Prosaic »

That could be correct,

Donovan said today, quoted in the SA, "playing a home game against Ohio State, which is prohibited from playing in a bowl under recently announced NCAA sanctions is not a consideration". A thirteenth game is not a bowl game, but for JD to emphatically not even consider it, especially with Chow's comment of "bring 'em" when someone at the press conference mentioned Ohio State as a possible opponent next season, makes one "scratch his head" to figure JD's response. The article says "UH is running an accumulatd net deficit of more than $9 million and could use money from a 13th game." Can not figa this one out.

beegpk
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by beegpk »

Prosaic wrote:That could be correct,

Donovan said today, quoted in the SA, "playing a home game against Ohio State, which is prohibited from playing in a bowl under recently announced NCAA sanctions is not a consideration". A thirteenth game is not a bowl game, but for JD to emphatically not even consider it, especially with Chow's comment of "bring 'em" when someone at the press conference mentioned Ohio State as a possible opponent next season, makes one "scratch his head" to figure JD's response. The article says "UH is running an accumulatd net deficit of more than $9 million and could use money from a 13th game." Can not figa this one out.

Chow has his hands full and there is a lot of emotion at the moment --- I don't take the comment as one where Chow knew if it was even an option

that is where a good AD comes in --- Donovan cleared things up --- it ain't happening

I get the sense that the Donovan/Chow combination is going to work very well

702WarriorNation
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 702WarriorNation »

Following from Tsai's blog on why OSU not being considered for 13th game by UH.

December 24th, 2011 at 9:48 am

Do you know why JD is saying Ohio State is not under consideration for a 13th game? It would make sense to bring them in since they are on probation next year and it would be their "bowl game". Besides OSU fans travel well and you could possibly see about 5000+ fans in the stands cheering for the Buckeyes.

While Alabama had that idea some years back, the NCAA cracked down on that. Recall that USC had to get a special waiver to play UH last year, because the penalties the NCAA enacted included not being able to use the "Hawaiʻi Exemption" to schedule a 13th game here in Honolulu; that 13th game had already been scheduled, however, so the NCAA eased up on that restriction.

On page 19 of the Ohio State Report, it says (bold added):

The institution's football team shall end its 2012 season with the playing of its last regularly scheduled, in-season contest and shall not be eligible to participate in any postseason competition or take advantage of any of the exemptions provided in Bylaw 17.9.5.2, to include an end-of-season conference championship game.

Bylaw 17.9.5.2(j) is the Hawaiʻi Exemption (see page 276 of the 2011-2012 NCAA Division I Manual), and since Ohio State does not already have a game scheduled against UH, they are unable to schedule a new game to act as their "bowl" game.

17.9.5.2 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS] The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following: (Revised: 10/28/10)

(j) Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico. [FBS/FCS] Any football games played in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico, respectively, either against or under the sponsorship of an active member institution located in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico, by a Division I member institution located outside the area in question;

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

There IS a way around this.....

If Ohio State only has 11 games scheduled so far, just schedule a road trip to Hawaii as the 12th game since everyone is allowed 12 games. Problem solved.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

wyokie wrote:There IS a way around this.....

If Ohio State only has 11 games scheduled so far, just schedule a road trip to Hawaii as the 12th game since everyone is allowed 12 games. Problem solved.
Not bad, poke.

Hawaii is hardly a bowl game by their standards.
Why not let Hawaii benefit from this? Too bad.