1st and 10 with Jim Donovan Tuesday Sept. 6th 2:00 - 3:00 PM

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

1st and 10 with Jim Donovan Tuesday Sept. 6th 2:00 - 3:00 PM

Post by Scott »

Jim Donovan will be chatting live from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM on Tuesday, September 6th. If you can't be here then, please post your questions in this thread. One question at a time. Preference will be given to live questions but hopefully we should be able to have all questions answered.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1st and 10 with Jim Donovan Tuesday Sept. 6th 2:00 - 3:0

Post by Scott »

Once again please take this opportunity to share any events and/or activities that you would like to share with the Ohana! Thank you!

Mahalo,
Scott

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

Hello Mr. Donovan,
Great weekend! Just a quick question regarding the no longer produced schedule posters. Congratulations on being in the black as far as the budget. I know there's lots of bills to pay and other things to fund, but the thing that comes up the most when I talk to my friends is that they miss having schedule posters. At work, in my cubicle and my co-worker's cubicles, we still have the last produced posters from a few years ago. They not only had helped to remind us of when the games were gonna be back in those years, but they also serve as a reminder of how great those seasons (and the players that played) were.
How much of the posters were funded by the athletic department and how much was paid for by sponsors?
Hope they'll return someday.
Thank you for your time!
chawan
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Aloha Jim,
Above are pictures I took during the 2nd QTR of the Colorado Game. I wanted to show everyone what the "New Additional Student Section" looks like during a big time game for the Warriors. I was disgusted to think that many long time season ticket holders was forceably moved to make way for a student section that was now not even being used.

I thought of all the Premium Dollars that were lost to accomodate the cries of a UH Student Govt President who supposedly doesn't even attend the games. Also if the student section looks like against a PAC12 team, what will it look like against an FCS or lower WAC team like New Mexico State and Utah State?

This section did fill up later in the game, but when I spoke with some of my friends I saw, they said they and many others moved from the Upper section to the premium lower section when they saw it empty by halftime.

My question to you is that if this trend continues, would there be a fall back plan to once again make these seats available to the General Public?

Thank You for your time...

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

do u know when the football roster on hawaiiathletics.com will be updated for new walkons and number changes?
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Scott for MadCat88:
MadCat88 wrote:Please don't get me wrong - I absolutely LOVE the tradition of having B.Moniz carrying the Hawaii State Flag out in front of the team as they enter the stadium for the start of the game; but it's a fact (legally too) that the CORRECT procession should ALWAYS be the National "Stars and Stripes" Flag FIRST, then all others...

"“No other flag or pennant should be placed above, or, if on same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America,…No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the United States at any place within the United States or any territory or possession thereof:…”"

I didn't see this last game's (vs. Colorado) team entrance, but it was my understanding that Moniz with the Hawaii State Flag come out first - followed by Masch with the Stars & Stripes. I think if this pre-game tradition is continued - the team WILL need to make a slight adjustment, particularly to NOT OFFEND the many patriotic football fans in the stands or watching on T.V.. NOT a good way to gain more Warrior Football Fans.

Mahalo,
Scott

SunTzuWarrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SunTzuWarrior »

+1 on this question, much more fun to watch when you know who you are cheering for. I can imagine that they must be busy with the marketing of "Mighty Mo" so it is understandable.
letsgobows wrote:do u know when the football roster on hawaiiathletics.com will be updated for new walkons and number changes?

My question is, was there any feedback after the first game on the new softer field turf at the Aloha Stadium? I know they talked about it earlier when they practiced at the stadium. But the real test would have been Saturday night, especially on the speed of the field and how it absorbed impacts.
Making no mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory,
for it means conquering an enemy that is already defeated.
- Sun Tzu

Small~Axe
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Small~Axe »

Hi Mr. Donovan,
Looking at the 2012 football season, I see us opening at USC and BYU, and closing the season at home verses Lamar and South Alabama. Is there a possibility to land a BCS team, rather than an FCS or another lower tier FBS tea? Would you consider playing the university of Miami, who currently has only 2 ooc games scheduled for 2012.

Thank you
If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe,
Ready to cut you down,
Sharpened to cut you down - Bob

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Hi Mr. Donovan,

This year's shade of green in the field turf and uniform come close to matching as opposed to other years. Agree or disagree?
Happenstance or intent?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Aloha Jim, welcome to today's chat!

Mahalo,
Scott

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Sorry for the late start. My meeting ran a little long. Hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend. Let's get started...

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

chawan_cut wrote:Hello Mr. Donovan,
Great weekend! Just a quick question regarding the no longer produced schedule posters. Congratulations on being in the black as far as the budget. I know there's lots of bills to pay and other things to fund, but the thing that comes up the most when I talk to my friends is that they miss having schedule posters. At work, in my cubicle and my co-worker's cubicles, we still have the last produced posters from a few years ago. They not only had helped to remind us of when the games were gonna be back in those years, but they also serve as a reminder of how great those seasons (and the players that played) were.
How much of the posters were funded by the athletic department and how much was paid for by sponsors?
Hope they'll return someday.
Thank you for your time!
chawan
---------------------------------------------------------

chawan_cut –

First of all, thanks for the compliment on this past weekend. Overall, it was a pretty good weekend.

As far as the schedule posters are concerned, the way it ended up we were paying for the cost of producing the posters. Our sponsors would have a “menu” of items they could choose from – for example, a sign on the home run fence at Les Murakami Stadium, sideline signature advertising at a football game, or maybe the courtside advertising at the Stan Sheriff Center (there’s probably several dozen different types of options a sponsor has to choose from…)

So we were paying about $20,000 in cash to produce about 60,000 total schedule posters – and about a third of the total schedule posters were to promote football. Since the advent of the internet in the mid 90’s, it has become very easy for someone to look up our sports schedules on our website or even at other websites like the Honolulu Star Advertiser, etc. Because of our budget situation, we just couldn’t afford to continue to spend $20,000 to print posters with our schedule that could easily be looked up online.

Even though we were in the black last year, we’re still carrying in the neighborhood of a $9.3 million accumulated deficit, so it’s going to be quite some time before we can “afford” to spend $20,000 on schedule posters – which even though may be very sought after as collector’s items, the fact is the information can easily be looked up online.

No, that’s not the answer you want – sorry about that – but that’s the reality we’re facing.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

BigWave96744 wrote:Image

Aloha Jim,
Above are pictures I took during the 2nd QTR of the Colorado Game. I wanted to show everyone what the "New Additional Student Section" looks like during a big time game for the Warriors. I was disgusted to think that many long time season ticket holders was forceably moved to make way for a student section that was now not even being used.

I thought of all the Premium Dollars that were lost to accomodate the cries of a UH Student Govt President who supposedly doesn't even attend the games. Also if the student section looks like against a PAC12 team, what will it look like against an FCS or lower WAC team like New Mexico State and Utah State?

This section did fill up later in the game, but when I spoke with some of my friends I saw, they said they and many others moved from the Upper section to the premium lower section when they saw it empty by halftime.

My question to you is that if this trend continues, would there be a fall back plan to once again make these seats available to the General Public?

Thank You for your time...

BigWave96744 –

Thanks for the comment. Actually, at final count, 2,144 students came to the UH vs. Colorado game – which is the most students we’ve ever had come to a single football game. I was told that the Chancellor’s Office ended up having to order 15 buses to accommodate the demand from the students who stay on campus – also the most ever.

Last year’s average for all games, and you might remember that we provided free tickets to the students for all games except the USC game, was 1,120. So as you can see, we almost doubled the attendance from last year’s average.

We believe this is a good development – as this is a benefit the students are paying for and we believe that in the long run, it’s creating a solid new source of potential season ticket holders (after they graduate).

We will continue to monitor the situation and if certain areas that are currently being held for student seating are not utilized throughout this season, we will go back and discuss this issue with the Student Athletic Fee Committee and see what we can do about making some of these areas available for general public purchase.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

letsgobows wrote:do u know when the football roster on hawaiiathletics.com will be updated for new walkons and number changes?
----------------------------------------------------

letsgobows -

Just got off the phone with Derek Inouchi, Director of Media Relations, and he said there are about 5 or 6 student-athletes' information that still have to be loaded up onto our website. He said that this information should be uploaded by the time he gets back from this two-game road trip (that he's leaving tomorrow on). Thanks for your patience.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Scott wrote:Scott for MadCat88:
MadCat88 wrote:Please don't get me wrong - I absolutely LOVE the tradition of having B.Moniz carrying the Hawaii State Flag out in front of the team as they enter the stadium for the start of the game; but it's a fact (legally too) that the CORRECT procession should ALWAYS be the National "Stars and Stripes" Flag FIRST, then all others...

"“No other flag or pennant should be placed above, or, if on same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America,…No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the United States at any place within the United States or any territory or possession thereof:…”"

I didn't see this last game's (vs. Colorado) team entrance, but it was my understanding that Moniz with the Hawaii State Flag come out first - followed by Masch with the Stars & Stripes. I think if this pre-game tradition is continued - the team WILL need to make a slight adjustment, particularly to NOT OFFEND the many patriotic football fans in the stands or watching on T.V.. NOT a good way to gain more Warrior Football Fans.

MadCat88 –

Excellent point.

The fact is the tradition of Bryant Moniz coming out with the Hawaiian flag started last year I believe – and that was the only flag that was carried out by the team as they left the locker room.

I think someone made the suggestion that this year both the Hawaiian flag and the US flag should be brought out – I’m not sure if this was only for the first game or this is something that is planned to happen for every game.

If it is something to be done for every game, I will make sure that Coach McMackin and the team is aware of the proper protocol involving our US national flag. Again, thanks for pointing this fact out.