Warrior Game by Game Assessment

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
CoachKen
Insider
Insider

Warrior Game by Game Assessment

Post by CoachKen »

After a breakeven 2008 and a mixture of very good and not so good performances the Warriors come in to the 2009 season with a more seasoned offense and an inexperienced defense. Hardest spots to replace will be the secondary and this could make for a tough year. Experienced linebackers and a better than average defensive line will mean the Warriors should be solid upfront. The defensive secondary will be tested and tested often, especially at the corner positions. If we cannot stop the pass it will also open the run and some high scoring games. If the rebuilt secondary can improve quickly we have a chance for a winning season. If not….

The offense now has a more experienced QB in Greg Alexander who will need to release the ball more quickly based on an inexperienced offensive line. John Estes will be a solid anchor at center but the surrounding cast will have to rise to the occasion. Running back is still a question mark but improving quickly. No one has truly risen to “Nate” status and the only one who showed true signs of greatness is starting at slot. The wideout positions will have more speed than ever and should be outstanding. The inside slots should be solid especially with Greg Salas being moved.

Special teams will have to perform this year to the highest degree and there are question marks at both the punt position and kickoffs and field goals.

Let’s take a game by game look at what the Warriors will be facing:

Central Arkansas- Should be a win but this is not a bad team. Never forget Florida Atlantic. Should be a win.

Washington State- Maybe one of the worst teams in the BCS. This team allowed 49.8 points per game! Offensively they were 118th in the NCAA DI, I have to go with the Warriors but it is in Washington so it could be too close for comfort. Warriors win by 14.

At UNLV- I don’t feel real good about this game. UNLV has yet to pull off a great season under Mike Sanford but this year could be different. They have two solid QBs and their best receiver corp. to date led by senior Ryan Wolfe. This team has never been good against the run but against Hawaii they don’t have to be. A questionable UNLV defense should be in the Warrios favor.

At La Tech- Third game on the road and a place where we usually struggle. This is going to be a very good La Tech team. Returning QB, very good running backs, good but not great receivers. The strength of their defense is the secondary. This will be one of the toughest WAC games we face. It is hot in Louisiana this early, we will be road weary and they get fired up against Hawaii for a number of reasons including the “Haka on the Hill” last year. I will call it a toss up but I am going to hate this game.

Fresno State- I feel really good about our chances against a Pat Hill team that has a lot of rebuilding to do. On the island and less talent than Fresno is use to fielding. This one goes to the Warriors.

At Idaho- There strength is at running back which is in our favor. Unfortunately the strength of their team is the defensive secondary. In the Kibbie Dome so weather will not be a factor. I have to go with the Warriors in this one.

Boise State- Kellen Moore proved himself as the real deal at QB. Big losses at the skill positions will have to be replaced, but they always do! The strength of this team is the defense and the strength of this defense is the secondary, especially at cornerback. Even though we play in Hawaii, this team is just too good. Boise State by 13.

At Nevada- They will have the best offense in the WAC (yes better than Boise). Kaepernick can be inconsistent at times but is more experienced and has a great surrounding cast. If we give him time to throw we are in big trouble. Our saving grace will be the fact they are weak in the secondary and spotty on defense. This game will be the team that scores last. My heart says Hawaii. My head is undecided.

Utah State- I would normally not worry about this team but last year ended those thoughts. New head coach Gary Anderson will move the offense to the spread. Deondre Borel is a double threat at both running and passing, a combination that Hawaii doesn’t handle well. Former Utah Defensive Coordinator Bill Busch will bring an attacking defense that likes to come from all angles and relies heavily on the zone blitz. If they get to Alexander it could be a long day but playing at home will give us the edge…Hawaii by 20.

New Mexico State- Hal Mumme and the Air Raid offense is gone and so is the 3-3 defense replaced by former UCLA Defensive Coordinator Dewayne Walker. Tons of players left so this is a rebuilding year for sure. Hawaii wins big at home.

San Jose State- Dick Tomey has Hawaii’s number, especially at home (hope they don’t wet the field down). The loss of Yanus Davis at running back hurts them offensively but they will still be productive. The strength will be their defense and the game is in San Jose. Edge goes to the Spartans but close!

Navy- This is a good team that runs the ball very well and plays tough defense. I think it is a good match for us based on the reliance on the run. Hawaii by 7.

Wisconsin- No comment. This will be a tough one to win.

How we do early will decide if we have a winning season. We could go 8-5 or 9-4 or 5-8 at worst. I will always love this team and be optimistic…8-5. If the defensive secondary performs we have a winning season, if not we will see some high scoring games.

God bless!
CoachKen
Character, strength, and honor!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Warrior Game by Game Assessment

Post by Irse »

Hi Coach. 8-5 is about what I expect. Sure would like to see a 9-4 or 10-3 season. Hopefully in the next year or two we can consistently be up there.
ImageImage

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

i'll take 8-5 :)

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

Hey coach, any comment on coach Duff's comments on the other board?

I recognize he has more knowledge in his pinky than I have in my whole body but something seems a little off with his posts about recruiting. For example, was there something off between him and Miano? How was he so effective at recruiting for a spell? Was he cutting corners?
Substance matters.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

San Jose State- Dick Tomey has Hawaii’s number, especially at home (hope they don’t wet the field down). The loss of Yanus Davis at running back hurts them offensively but they will still be productive. The strength will be their defense and the game is in San Jose. Edge goes to the Spartans but close!
I'm a little more optimistic on this one. We haven't lost to SJSU on the road since VonAppen. And the only 2 times we've lost to them since then were in 2000 (a down year all around), and last year at a time when the most important position on the field didn't even have a set starter yet and we lost by 3. I mean they've been close at their place, but I don't know about having our "number". We've beaten Tomey twice up there since he's taken over. I'm not guaranteeing a win, just saying that it's almost that we should be more worried if the game was at home, since we've had more problems with them here than up there.

For me I just think Tomey is given more credit so far at SJSU than is due. In his four years there he's had one winning season (9-4 in '06), and in that season we crushed them 54-17.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

Irse wrote:Hi Coach. 8-5 is about what I expect. Sure would like to see a 9-4 or 10-3 season. Hopefully in the next year or two we can consistently be up there.
+1 :hello1: besides....it wouldn't be fun Irse to pay for your Football luncheon on a losing previous game. :P :oops: :roll:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

CoachKen
Insider
Insider

Post by CoachKen »

DC Warrior,

I don't read the other board so I am not sure what he said. Send me a private email and I can respond.

CoachKen
Character, strength, and honor!

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

Post by noasark2x2 »

Coach Ken thanks for the great read. I hope Rick is doing well, please give him our best. I wonder how it must feel for you and your family seeing the success of Tim Tebow and knowing him and such a young age. I can help but think that there must be some pride there from your family
Let's Go Bows

albs
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by albs »

H20 wrote:
I'm a little more optimistic on this one. We haven't lost to SJSU on the road since VonAppen. And the only 2 times we've lost to them since then were in 2000 (a down year all around), and last year at a time when the most important position on the field didn't even have a set starter yet and we lost by 3. I mean they've been close at their place, but I don't know about having our "number". We've beaten Tomey twice up there since he's taken over. I'm not guaranteeing a win, just saying that it's almost that we should be more worried if the game was at home, since we've had more problems with them here than up there.

For me I just think Tomey is given more credit so far at SJSU than is due. In his four years there he's had one winning season (9-4 in '06), and in that season we crushed them 54-17.
I came across this in the Merc yesterday:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... comes-usc/

SJSU is taking on USC and Utah in week 1 and week 2:
USC Coach Pete Carroll, who has known Tomey for years, needed an opponent to open the ’09 season and was happy to comply. (SJSU also has a trip scheduled to UCLA in the 2011 season.)

Combine USC with Utah, which visits Spartan Stadium in Week Two, and SJSU faces teams that went a combined 25-1 last season and finished No. 2 (Utah) and 3 (USC) in the Associated Press poll.
I thought Fresno is the WAC school that opens with the toughest opponents!

HawaiiMongoose
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiMongoose »

Coach Ken, it's great to see you back posting on the board. I look forward to reading your insightful comments throughout the season.

I hate to say it but I see another 7-6 record (though I think we'll win the H-Bowl to finish 8-6). Mac knows how to put the puzzle together but is still missing a few key pieces. Hopefully the defensive backfield and special teams gel quickly and my prediction is way off.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

8-5 is acceptable. I'm rooting for 13-0. But a losing season would be hard to swallow.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

I dunno.. I'm more concerned about our defense against the run. Everyday, our players will practice against some of the best plays in the passing game. BUT against the run?

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

FloridaWarrior
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by FloridaWarrior »

my biggest concern on the schedule is NEVADA.
i have been reading the college football mags and the WOLFPACK seems to be LOADED with talent.
they have all kinds of pre season ALL CONFERENCE players on both sides of the ball.
and that damn QB Kaepernick is a real good runner who is hard to tackle and is deceptively fast with those long legs.
he is one of those guys you just want to crush but you can't catch him.
he is also a very good passer.
I think he got the WAC offensive player of the year last year.
I see THIS game as a BIG PROBLEM FOR US.
Hawaii Warriors...A living Tradition

FloridaWarrior out...

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

FloridaWarrior wrote:my biggest concern on the schedule is NEVADA.
i have been reading the college football mags and the WOLFPACK seems to be LOADED with talent.
they have all kinds of pre season ALL CONFERENCE players on both sides of the ball.
and that damn QB Kaepernick is a real good runner who is hard to tackle and is deceptively fast with those long legs.
Yup, Kaepernick is an awesome runner but the thing he still needs to work on is his passing particularly accuracy. If he can hit his WR's more consistently, he'll be one of the better QB's in the nation but that remains to be seen. Nevada has been hyped up by a lot of people. They have talent but they still have a log ways to go if they want to win the WAC or be considered a top echelon team in the WAC like Boise and Hawaii. Their defense, mainly secondary, needs a lot of improvement if their going to breakout and beat teams like Notre DAme on the road, Mizzou, etc... The @ Reno game will be tough for us though. They've given us all we can handle the past 2 years. I expect another barn burner this season.

FloridaWarrior
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by FloridaWarrior »

uhwarrior23 wrote:
FloridaWarrior wrote:my biggest concern on the schedule is NEVADA.
Yup, Kaepernick is an awesome runner but the thing he still needs to work on is his passing particularly accuracy. If he can hit his WR's more consistently, he'll be one of the better QB's in the nation but that remains to be seen. Nevada has been hyped up by a lot of people. They have talent but they still have a log ways to go if they want to win the WAC or be considered a top echelon team in the WAC like Boise and Hawaii. Their defense, mainly secondary, needs a lot of improvement if their going to breakout and beat teams like Notre DAme on the road, Mizzou, etc... The @ Reno game will be tough for us though. They've given us all we can handle the past 2 years. I expect another barn burner this season.
I don't know if my nerves can take another game like the last one! :o :hello1:
Hawaii Warriors...A living Tradition

FloridaWarrior out...