Boise Summary

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
CoachKen
Insider
Insider

Boise Summary

Post by CoachKen »

I think this game is simple to analyze.

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes wins. Boise made two fumbles that hurt them, but you cannot throw five interceptions and hope to win.
2. Players have to execute plays, we did not... with the exception of Salas and Bain.
3. I am not sure that we utilized Funaki as we should have but some things were obvious, he was not comfortable in the pocket against Boise and is getting confused in his reads (holding the ball too long). Accuracy was not there tonight.
4. Defense was great in spots and very rough in spots. Blown coverages, poor tackling, average pressure on the QB.
5. Injuries made some difference...Pilares looks like a knee and Watson also. Michael Washington has some sort of injury, not sure what.

We cannot beat any opponent with this kind of offensive performance. Defense had to play too much in the second half and also showed lapses in intensity and focus.

CoachKen

CoachKen
Character, strength, and honor!

kalilix7
Play Maker
Play Maker
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Patriots

Re: Boise Summary

Post by kalilix7 »

Coach,
Agreed, but I think you were a little hard on the D. They were put in some very vacarious positions but played strong. The score could have been a lot worst.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

I'm with CoachKen on this one. Our D did good until they allowed their WR's to get wide open and not pressure the QB into throwing INT's in the second half. No way we could have won this game with better defense since our offense was way off in the second half.

Time to focus on our next opponent after a couple of days of rest.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Pilares was a huge loss and way too early in the game. The offense needs to block better. Receivers got to catch the ball.

I was wondering when UH would get called for an illegal procedure penalty. It seems like the tackle were setting up way off the los. Steinhoff looked more like a wingback.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

AZWARRIOR22
Starter
Starter

Post by AZWARRIOR22 »

Re-open the QB competition...Funaki is not the answer. If Tyler is healthy, he should start next game. It is painful to watch an inept offense and a QB that telegraphs his passes. We have been spoiled with Colt and now we need mediocrity and sorely need someone to step up. Alexander doesn't look like the answer either. Not sure about Rausch but maybe it is time to give him his shot.

LoneWarrior
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by LoneWarrior »

Funaki eyes down his target the whole way, he did it against la tech as well but they are an inferior team and Salas made some huge catches. I dont know what's up with tyler but he has to be given a shot. Gotta put points on the board, we have a good not great defense.

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

Coach Ken,

my question to you or anyone who knows is it seems to me that the dline doesn't get very much pressure on the qb. is this part of the defensive scheme?

redwingwarrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by redwingwarrior »

ehh in my opinion we need to stick to one quarterback win or lose. bsu put SO much pressure on inoke w the LBs staying at home...it made it hard for funaki to scrabble...his ability to scramble is what created opportunities in our past games. like he said "i'm not colt, i'm inoke." our coaches and o-line fail this game for not creating more open opportunities. also, our defense looked very granola. moore had all day to throw back there.

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

Lack of pressure on boise's qb was rare. Alot of times he had all day to throw and when he was pressured he found guys wide open.
No matter what, be happy you still got your health!

lava
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by lava »

Good points CoachKen, especially Inoke holding the ball too long because Boise confused him. Offense was out of sync, and to make things worse, he had to dodge a heavy pass rush.

By contrast, our blitz was mostly ineffective.

We can get better, but we won't be good enough to be Boise this year. On the bright side, not many other teams will be Boise either, especially in Boise, where they have a distinct advantage of substituting for specialty plays.

95 Boyz
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Eagles / Bears

Post by 95 Boyz »

CoachKen wrote:I think this game is simple to analyze.

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes wins. Boise made two fumbles that hurt them, but you cannot throw five interceptions and hope to win.
2. Players have to execute plays, we did not... with the exception of Salas and Bain.
3. I am not sure that we utilized Funaki as we should have but some things were obvious, he was not comfortable in the pocket against Boise and is getting confused in his reads (holding the ball too long). Accuracy was not there tonight.
4. Defense was great in spots and very rough in spots. Blown coverages, poor tackling, average pressure on the QB.
5. Injuries made some difference...Pilares looks like a knee and Watson also. Michael Washington has some sort of injury, not sure what.

We cannot beat any opponent with this kind of offensive performance. Defense had to play too much in the second half and also showed lapses in intensity and focus.

CoachKen

CoachKen
Just like I said. We rolled-out and bootlegged against Fresno (WIN). We rolled-out and bootlegged against LA Tech (WIN). We go back and leave Inoke in the pocket (LOST).

What da hell?!!! :-?
GO BIG RED WARRIORZ!!!
95 Boyz Production
"Don't worry... pee happily"

Are you ready to BLASTOFF

goBows15
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by goBows15 »

Boise got consistent pressure rushing 4 and using their LBs in coverage and to control the scrambles. They never had to blitz to put pressure on the passing game.

This in turn makes the running game non existent. How many no gains, small gains or losses did we have? We probably had 3 runs all night for more than 4 yards.
"I saw the fullback, he's looking directly at me," Soares said. "I knew he was coming my way, so I already knew. I went with all my power and all my might and I went crush him. I heard him when I hit him, I heard him -- he felt it."

kik050
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by kik050 »

95 Boyz wrote:
CoachKen wrote:I think this game is simple to analyze.

CoachKen

CoachKen
Just like I said. We rolled-out and bootlegged against Fresno (WIN). We rolled-out and bootlegged against LA Tech (WIN). We go back and leave Inoke in the pocket (LOST).

What da hell?!!! :-?
No disrespect coach, and I'm writing while being incredibly frustrated with this game, but I'm absolutely 100% sure we didn't utitlize Funaki as we should have. I know they had players spying on him but if we need 2 yards and he already stepped up in the pocket, tuck the ball and pick up 2 yards. But nope, let me pass the ball 3 yards and get it intercepted because I'm eyeing up the receiver.

If Funaki throws 4 INT's, what do you honestly think he will do in the next drive. Throw a 5th INT or throw a TD? I don't even have to think for this answer.
Hawai'i has the best fighters in the world. F___ that's all we do. --BJ Penn

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

I think Funaki runs out of gas by the second half against teams with stronger defenses. He's in every snap... getting punished everytime he scrambles, often after every pass. Even our receivers and running backs get relieved. When he's fresh, he's pretty darn good. The Warriors may need to rotate in the other QBs to run some short series to give Inoke more breathers.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

Boise's defense was good. That young quarterback they have will likely be a force to deal with in the future. We have numerous injured players. I hope everyone is well enough by the next game. There were some questionable choices about fourth downs. I guess at the time it seemed to be the thing to do but I thought we were going to play as a team. Each part doing their job. You have to let the special teams do their job when it is time for them to do so. Scoring on those opportunities could have given the momentum to us (or did I miss something?). Maybe Dan Kelly was having trouble? Inoke set another personal record for most interceptions but now that he has that out of the way...... Perhaps the thing to do is to have him do reads in practice with twice as many big guys in front of him as he normally has in a game then it will be easier to read in a game than in practice. Not sure what exactly is his problem but it seemed to me that Greg Salas was often open and did not get the ball. Inoke seemed to do well in the first half but started turning the ball over in the second half. I know he felt real bad about that and not sure why it was that way. It was good that Greg got a chance to throw a few passes against Boise.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller