uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Don't forget call the coach tonight

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Live at 6pm on KKEA 1420 am. Should be an intersting show to say the least.
http://www.espn1420am.com/

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Call the Coach recap

Post by uhwarrior23 »

On personal fouls, Coach said he won't even describe what the players went through in practice because of it. He said they were crawling off the field after practice. He said this hasn't been a problem in the past and he doesn't expect it to be a problem in the future. If it does continue to happen, the player(s) will continue to get disciplined and could be benched or suspended!
Inoke Funaki is still his guy. He said he's getting better and better and he looked real well in practice to day. They'll continue to run the run and shoot but they'll still run plays the take advantage of the talents he has. They'll be more roll outs, bootlegs and option plays. He said the dive the run up the middle is now a read play when Inoke is in the game. He'll read the defensive end and decide whether to give it to the RB or keep it if he thinks he can get to the outside.
Coach said he's now giving Greg and Brent more reps in practice. He said he needs to prepare them for the future.
Tyler hasn't practiced because of his sore rist and finger.
Coach Mack believes in the R&S and from a defensive standpoint, this is the offense that gave him, as a DC, the most trouble. They'll continue to run it.
He felt the team improved in every phase of the game against SJSU. He said take away the TO's and PF's and it was a well played game. He said it was a hard hitting game and players form both teams were banged up.
Dick Tomey told Coach Mack he was surprised by how fast Inoke was running the ball.
He said Kealoha and Malcolm suffered cuncussions. He expects them to be ready for Fresno.
He said he's been impressed w/ some of the young receivers in practice. Avery, Pollard and Lofton are all coming along.
He said most of the JC's receivers (Dustin Blount, Ryan Henry, Mike Tinoco and Craig Bell) are redshirting. He said they need more time to learn the offense and there's enough WR's on the team now to get the job done. He said he's really exciting about Blount. Right now, they have him working on the scout team and on one play, he caught a ball and faked the entire defense out w/ 1 move!!!!!
He said a lot of people have been critical of QB Coach, Nick Rolovich. He said Rolo is a great QB coach and one day, he'll be a great OC or HC. He said they're happy to have him.
He said injuries have pleagued the o-line but the guys they have are as tough as he's seen since he's bene here. He praised O-line coach, Brian Smith for that. He said they're getting better every week and the heathier they get, the better they'll look as a unit.
He said he got some good news about Keith Ah-Soon today. The doctors informed him that he's been responding very well and won't be out as long as they originally thought (6-8 weeks.)
A caller by the name of Dave (wonder who that was :hmm: ) called in and asked the coach why the team left the field and did not sing the alma mater together after the game like they always did under previous coaches. Coach Mack said he felt the team was so down after the game that he needed to talk to them right away in the locker room. Coach took complete resonsibility and said it was his fault and that he believes in teams doing the alma mater together at the end of games. He said he's been around schools like Navy and it's very important and what happened on Saturday will never happen again.
Coach said they've really been working on special teams and it showed against SJSU. He said there were numerous times when the Warriors broke up SJSU's blocking wedge and made a play.
He said the reason they didn't go after more kicks and punts was because he felt Tomey would try a fake and he did. He said the Warriors were ready for the 1 fake they did and were ready in case they tried it again. He said they did go after 1 punt and Spencer Smith almost blocked it.
Leon Wright-Jackson is back at full strength!!!! :hello1:
He said he wants to use Kealoha Pilares at both RB and slot so they can get him the ball in open space. He's a big time football player!
Coach said of the 6 personal fouls, 3 of them were our fault. The other times, SJSU players were cheap shotting our guys and our guys retaliated. He said either way, it's selfish and personal fouls will not be tolerated in his program. He also went on to say, he sent some video to the league office on some questionable calls.
Regarging JC QB's, coach said injuries set them back at the beginning of the year. He said Rausch was originally his guy until he couldn't throw the ball because of his sore arm leading up to the UF game. Alexander had the ankle that set him back. Then Tyler got reinstated and Inoke started to improve. Coach said it's not like he just forgot about the JC's. He said his goal is to give them more reps in practice. He thinks they will be great QB's in this offense.
Last edited by uhwarrior23 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Poopsnorkeler
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Don't forget call the coach tonight

Post by Poopsnorkeler »

uhwarrior23, thanks for the great recap!

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Thanks uhwarrior23. I heard a part of the show and you got it all.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Hmm.. missed that late bit about the PJ-left and PJ-right plays in the synopsis, which gave me a good laugh.

Tonight's call the coach addressed all the concerns and gripes that many have been voicing and Coach didn't side step any of the questions. Listening to Mac, I felt really good that he is our Head Coach.

I want to see this team win because I really like this year's team and coaching staff.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

some will point out that a lot of what coach was saying is BS. True. But it's necessary bs. He has a fine line between keeping his players' spirits up and holding them accountable. Fans' need for juicy bashing is not on his list of to-do items.
Substance matters.

Grinder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Grinder »

Great writeup uhwarrior23! I like the part about the Inoke style plays.

My favorite part of the show was when one caller kept rambling on and on, and Bobby Curran jumped in "We get the point. Do you have a question?"

opihi
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Call the Coach recap

Post by opihi »

uhwarrior23 wrote: He felt the team improved in every phase of the game against SJSU. He said take away the TO's and PF's and it was a well played game.
Four days removed from the frustration, i can agree with that statement.
Coach said of the 6 personal fouls, 3 of them were our fault. The other times, SJSU players were cheap shotting our guys and our guys retaliated. He said either way, it's selfish and personal fouls will not be tolerated in his program. He also went on to say, he sent some video to the league office on some questionable calls.
I'm glad he said that they're still selfish and will not be tolerated, but here's a question from a skinny pake guy who never played competitive football: Is some of that retaliation necessary to counter the cheap play? Understanding that football is a physical game of domination, does some of the unnecessary roughness come with the game, kinda like a retaliatory brush back pitch?

Finally, I didn't get the part about PJ-Left & PJ-Right. what's that?

Mahalo Fellas

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

Some women called and asked about Rick Taylor and Coach Mack said that he has been injured and needs to get his act together. You could tell Mack was making excuses and lying 'cause Rick has been healthy for over a month. Rick keeps burning the 1st team defense but b/c of Coach Mack's unfairness, Rick has to suffer for it.
No matter what, be happy you still got your health!

BRADAHMAN
Starter
Starter

Post by BRADAHMAN »

I would like to see Rick on the field. He needs to be given a shot.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

perhaps the team could come up with a accepted response to such behavior from the other team. Like growling a few words in Hawaiian or Samoan that mean "OH YEAH?" or something like that and use their anger to motivate them to perform better. This would also tell the rest of the team that they were fouled.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

XKamaaina
Starter
Starter

Post by XKamaaina »

Nice to hear Mack address the discipline problems. It was neccessary because those penalties were killing us! No need retaliate right there on the spot, it's football, so easy to get 'um back on the next play legally. It was also nice to read that Mack and BrianK clarified things in the paper regarding the E60 story.

Now, gotta back up the comments with action during games. Otherwise, @Fresno could get ugly. IF, we were to get personal fouls in an atmosphere like Bulldog Stadium, we'd end of fighting the opposing team, the refs and the hometown crowd and that equals a blowout. I sure hope our Warriors put an end to the uneccessary penalites ASAP.

95 Boyz
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Eagles / Bears

Post by 95 Boyz »

Getting a cheap shot in front of a referee who doesn't throw a flag is like getting a false cracked in front of a policeman who gives the knocked out guy a ticket... LOL

SJSU players was coached into cheap shots or their own coaches would have disciplined them. They had to have been. When they continued to cheap shot, cheap shot, cheap shot, and still stay in the game, you know the coaches had something to do with it. Believe it or not, that's part of the game and it can easily breaks down the offensive players (mentally) as shown in that game.
GO BIG RED WARRIORZ!!!
95 Boyz Production
"Don't worry... pee happily"

Are you ready to BLASTOFF

808havok
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808havok »

Macnut wrote:Some women called and asked about Rick Taylor and Coach Mack said that he has been injured and needs to get his act together. You could tell Mack was making excuses and lying 'cause Rick has been healthy for over a month. Rick keeps burning the 1st team defense but b/c of Coach Mack's unfairness, Rick has to suffer for it.
as much as i'd like to see rick in there too, right now there is no offensive cohesiveness. that's beating a dead horse to death again. "mixing" it up and getting new receivers in doesn't do much good. furthermore, as much as i respect coachken and want to see rick play, he is JJ's recruit. i'm not at the practices and don't know the inside story so unless you are in the know, your accusation is mindless drivel.

in the same breadth, coach mack also said they redshirted almost all the JC receivers - all big, tall and fast guys. while this season is not gone yet, the coaching staff looks to have a solid plan for next several years where they can use THEIR recruits and run the system as they want to.

stop being a hater.

mules78
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mules78 »

Is it me or does Bobby always finishes Coach's sentence because Coach can't recall the player's name or coach can't finish his thought......he did that numerous times last night.

:D