A Defining Moment

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
CoachKen
Insider
Insider

A Defining Moment

Post by CoachKen »

There are crossroads in life where an event changed the course of destiny for an individual or a team. San Jose State is one of those "defining moments." How we play will in a very real sense determine the momentum of the season. If we were to lose this game and be 1-3 we would have six more "must games" to win. We could only lose three and be bowl eligible which I think is extremely important for this team. If we are instead 2-2 after San Jose State we could take momentum into a very tough road stretch. San Jose State is a very good but not great team. They have shown they can play against tough opponents and this game will have special significance to them. Tomey will have his team ready. The key to this game will be our offense, not our defense. The defense will play well for reasons I will go into in the scouting report. Tomey has shown he knows what to do against the run and shoot so it will come down to "efficiency" on offense. We have to do the following with the last one being the most important:

1. Exceptional QB play- This is the heart of the run and shoot. Bad reads, panic in the pocket, and turning the ball over through fumbles or interceptions will kill us more than anything else. The first time I met Coach Rolovich I told him he had one of the most outstanding stretch of games in the history of college football. When I asked him, "what was the difference" he said, "I stopped thinking and just let it happen." What he meant is he got into the rythm of the game and let what he had been taught take over without applying pressure to himself. Our QBs need to have this mentality.

2. Blocking- I have felt that our offensive line blocking was more than adequate to win. We have had some breakdowns but overall they have played well enough to win. San Jose State will try to confuse us with defensive line movement, fake blitzes, zone blitzes, etc. We must maintain our composure.

3. Wide receiver play- No dropped passes and more intermediate routes. We seem to be running the football alot and throwing a lot of very short routes that end in no gain or two or three yards. We have to eliminate the third down and long situations. This offense will kill you in the seams and in the outside intermediate areas around 20 yards deep.

4. Running backs- It is safe to say with injuries we are hurting here although Pilares does a great job and Rego has come into his own. We can certainly run well enough to win. Opposing teams have figured out our shovel pass so we will have to be more innovative in the running game.

5. Maybe most important...attitude. Attitude is not an emotion, it is a choice, a mindframe. Talk is cheap, action speaks. Attitude is the focused decision that you will not be beaten. I call it the "assassin" attitude. It is the cold, calculated mentality that you are the best and nothing will stop you. Throw out all the words, the "rah-rah" and step on the field with a singular purpose; to destroy the opponent. Take all your pain and frustration and focus it for a single purpose, the play you are about to run. The only play that counts is the one you are about to run. Run it with with the cold, calculating mentality of a trained assassin. If you worry about the last play or worry about the next one the game is over and you might as well pack it in.

I refuse to believe this is a losing team. I know too many of these guys personally, they are winners who care and are willing to pay the price. We have to get on track now. San Jose State might as well be a war and wars are fought to be won. Let's bring all the disappointment, frustration, and anger and focus it into a singular mentality. Seniors, step up and be counted not by "rah-rah" but by your work ethic and your encouragement to developing players. Scout team, be better than San Jose State in practice and you make the team better. Back ups, don't feel sorry for yourself because you are not in the game, be a coach on the sidelines and help your teammates. When you get into the game, be a playmaker. If someone goes down, take their place and be the future of the program. Coaches, believe in all these kids, encourage all of them. The scout team running back is just as important as the starting running back, this is how you build for the future. Even one forgotten player takes away from the whole and the chain of unity is broken. We can have the disease of self pity or the power of belief. I like the word "Warrior," it stands for something....be one!

CoachKen
Character, strength, and honor!

FloridaWarrior
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: A Defining Moment

Post by FloridaWarrior »

I don't always totally agree with you Coach Ken but this time I do 100%!

That is a speech that would give Knute Rockne goose bumps.

I hope the team reads it and takes it to heart.

FloridaWarrior
Hawaii Warriors...A living Tradition

FloridaWarrior out...

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

i agree with you one hundred percent.

basically, what i hear you are saying is that qb is the key.

so with that in mind (and i know you are a big fan of graunke's)

do you think it is a matter of the 'light' going on with graunke? you pointed out that rolo's great run happened when he stopped thinking. we also saw this happen with timmy in his final 5 or 6 games of his career. colt pretty much got 'it' in his junior year.

part of me says we stick with graunke and hopefully that 'switch' will turn on and then i think we're fully capable of winning our last 6 games. on the other hand, if it never happens for graunke, then it will be a losing season.

lava
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by lava »

+100

CoachKen
Insider
Insider

Post by CoachKen »

Tyler has been in the system, knows the reads and simply has to let his instinct take over. For an athlete I think it is truly a "Zen" moment. A gift of the greatest athlete's in the world is the gift of "being in the zone." It separates the great from the average. Any athlete is capable of being in the zone if they would just "let go" and play subconciously. The brain is an incredible computer that when properly programmed will run what is put into it. To short circuit that computer by "what ifs," worries, and doubts is to limit your play on the field. I provide professional coaching for sales people and corporate executives and those whom are struggling are the ones filled with doubts and worries. The first task is to erase that from your mind. It is the reason a 5'10" 165 lbs running back that runs 4.7 in the 40 yard dash can play college football...he is a gamer who takes the mental part of the game to a new level. He does not doubt his ability. It is the reason Lou Houltz at South Carolina gave this kid a scholarship and he produced. Average coaches sell kids short when they fail to look at the heart of a kid first and his ability to get the job done on the field of play, when they fail to recognize his ability to "play in the zone." Tyler has many gifts, the first time I saw him I knew it. Now he has to "play in the zone." Forget about thinking too much and let the power of his mind take over. A player who has that mentality will tell you in his greatest game that it was "effortless." All of you who have played athletics know your greatest performance came easily when you just let it happen. This is the magic and the wonder of sports, the reason walk ons reach greatness and Parade All Americans go bust. It is the reason I never give an opinion about a kid until I see how he plays. Throw out 40 times, can he catch the ball and play in the zone? I believe it also has to do with confidence in a given sport. The world record holder in the 110 hurdles was in the zone running hurdles but not for the San Francisco 49ers on the football field...he never found "the zone."

I hope on Saturday the following happens:

1. Players are enjoying the game of football again, not worrying about "what ifs."
2. The coaches have the courage to play more kids who can contribute.
3. I want to see gamers like Rego be given more opportunities. Guys, this kid plays in the zone and gets more out of his abilities than almost any kid on the field. I will take 22 of him.
4. That this team comes together in a true Warrior spirit of comrades in arms.
5. I want to see seniors standing up for what they think and relating that to both players and coaches.

Warrior pride, Warrior spirit!

CoachKen
Character, strength, and honor!

AllsportfanHI
Starter
Starter

Post by AllsportfanHI »

Thanks Coach, I agree with you 100%.

We as fans need to overlook the overwhelming negative posts and believe also. The team needs to feel that we are with them 110% as well. Tooooo much negativity.

Go Warriors!!!

UHALLDAWAY808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by UHALLDAWAY808 »

CoachKen wrote:Tyler has been in the system, knows the reads and simply has to let his instinct take over. For an athlete I think it is truly a "Zen" moment. A gift of the greatest athlete's in the world is the gift of "being in the zone." It separates the great from the average. Any athlete is capable of being in the zone if they would just "let go" and play subconciously. The brain is an incredible computer that when properly programmed will run what is put into it. To short circuit that computer by "what ifs," worries, and doubts is to limit your play on the field. I provide professional coaching for sales people and corporate executives and those whom are struggling are the ones filled with doubts and worries. The first task is to erase that from your mind. It is the reason a 5'10" 165 lbs running back that runs 4.7 in the 40 yard dash can play college football...he is a gamer who takes the mental part of the game to a new level. He does not doubt his ability. It is the reason Lou Houltz at South Carolina gave this kid a scholarship and he produced. Average coaches sell kids short when they fail to look at the heart of a kid first and his ability to get the job done on the field of play, when they fail to recognize his ability to "play in the zone." Tyler has many gifts, the first time I saw him I knew it. Now he has to "play in the zone." Forget about thinking too much and let the power of his mind take over. A player who has that mentality will tell you in his greatest game that it was "effortless." All of you who have played athletics know your greatest performance came easily when you just let it happen. This is the magic and the wonder of sports, the reason walk ons reach greatness and Parade All Americans go bust. It is the reason I never give an opinion about a kid until I see how he plays. Throw out 40 times, can he catch the ball and play in the zone? I believe it also has to do with confidence in a given sport. The world record holder in the 110 hurdles was in the zone running hurdles but not for the San Francisco 49ers on the football field...he never found "the zone."

I hope on Saturday the following happens:

1. Players are enjoying the game of football again, not worrying about "what ifs."
2. The coaches have the courage to play more kids who can contribute.
3. I want to see gamers like Rego be given more opportunities. Guys, this kid plays in the zone and gets more out of his abilities than almost any kid on the field. I will take 22 of him.
4. That this team comes together in a true Warrior spirit of comrades in arms.
5. I want to see seniors standing up for what they think and relating that to both players and coaches.

Warrior pride, Warrior spirit!

CoachKen

It sorta seems like Tyler was in a "zone" when he was backing up Colt....And when he backed up Funaki this year off the bench....Remember the Nevada game last year, no one knew who the starter was gonna be until game time, and all 3 QB's played......Charleston Southern he struggled in the 1st half....just seems to me that now he's the starter, there is that "thinking" and "hesitation" going on, rather than coming in off the bench with alot of confidence and going in with that "fire" to show everyone what you can do

UHALLDAWAY808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by UHALLDAWAY808 »

i would like to see that same "fire he had when he started against USC in 05......he got everyone pumped on that first play of the game....that's the Tyler i wanna see

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

No more 3 runs in a row. [-X
Great blocking, if not then no matter who we got at QB, the offense ain't going nowhere.
Improved special teams.
No matter what, be happy you still got your health!

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

The zone sounds like that state of rapid reactions and high performance associated with adrenalin. With adrenalin, your reactions are automatic, not requiring thought. I get that way surfing and used to get that way in karate. Perhaps it would help the team to pump each other up to get the adrenalin flowing. Some positive encouragement to help them focus on their tasks. They need to stay positive and focused. Fear can paralyze you or speed you up depending on how you react to it. Depression will slow you down. When I was in karate I often was hard to hit and not because of training but because of automatic reactions causing me to dodge punches. In surfing I often will make several adjustments to my surfboard without thinking especially on takeoffs and the more scary the more accurate the adjustments. I imagine in football it is the same thing. You sit there thinking you may get hit hard by someone and that pumps you up to perform but if you worry about it then you hesitate and make mistakes.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

hawaiiboy
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hawaiiboy »

Go get 'em Warriors is all I have to say.
Notre Dame
Cleveland Browns
Chicago Cubs
Go Warriors!

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Awesome CoachKen. I believe it they way you do. Automatic controls activated. Go Warriors!

Now I can't wait to read your input on SJSU. About their depth, style of play, and secret weapons if any.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

jr97124
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by jr97124 »

Well done coach + 100

jr97124 8)

bmenor
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: LA Lakers

Post by bmenor »

CoachKen wrote:There are crossroads in life where an event changed the course of destiny for an individual or a team. San Jose State is one of those "defining moments." How we play will in a very real sense determine the momentum of the season. If we were to lose this game and be 1-3 we would have six more "must games" to win. We could only lose three and be bowl eligible which I think is extremely important for this team. If we are instead 2-2 after San Jose State we could take momentum into a very tough road stretch. San Jose State is a very good but not great team. They have shown they can play against tough opponents and this game will have special significance to them. Tomey will have his team ready. The key to this game will be our offense, not our defense. The defense will play well for reasons I will go into in the scouting report. Tomey has shown he knows what to do against the run and shoot so it will come down to "efficiency" on offense. We have to do the following with the last one being the most important:

1. Exceptional QB play- This is the heart of the run and shoot. Bad reads, panic in the pocket, and turning the ball over through fumbles or interceptions will kill us more than anything else. The first time I met Coach Rolovich I told him he had one of the most outstanding stretch of games in the history of college football. When I asked him, "what was the difference" he said, "I stopped thinking and just let it happen." What he meant is he got into the rythm of the game and let what he had been taught take over without applying pressure to himself. Our QBs need to have this mentality.

2. Blocking- I have felt that our offensive line blocking was more than adequate to win. We have had some breakdowns but overall they have played well enough to win. San Jose State will try to confuse us with defensive line movement, fake blitzes, zone blitzes, etc. We must maintain our composure.

3. Wide receiver play- No dropped passes and more intermediate routes. We seem to be running the football alot and throwing a lot of very short routes that end in no gain or two or three yards. We have to eliminate the third down and long situations. This offense will kill you in the seams and in the outside intermediate areas around 20 yards deep.

4. Running backs- It is safe to say with injuries we are hurting here although Pilares does a great job and Rego has come into his own. We can certainly run well enough to win. Opposing teams have figured out our shovel pass so we will have to be more innovative in the running game.

5. Maybe most important...attitude. Attitude is not an emotion, it is a choice, a mindframe. Talk is cheap, action speaks. Attitude is the focused decision that you will not be beaten. I call it the "assassin" attitude. It is the cold, calculated mentality that you are the best and nothing will stop you. Throw out all the words, the "rah-rah" and step on the field with a singular purpose; to destroy the opponent. Take all your pain and frustration and focus it for a single purpose, the play you are about to run. The only play that counts is the one you are about to run. Run it with with the cold, calculating mentality of a trained assassin. If you worry about the last play or worry about the next one the game is over and you might as well pack it in.

I refuse to believe this is a losing team. I know too many of these guys personally, they are winners who care and are willing to pay the price. We have to get on track now. San Jose State might as well be a war and wars are fought to be won. Let's bring all the disappointment, frustration, and anger and focus it into a singular mentality. Seniors, step up and be counted not by "rah-rah" but by your work ethic and your encouragement to developing players. Scout team, be better than San Jose State in practice and you make the team better. Back ups, don't feel sorry for yourself because you are not in the game, be a coach on the sidelines and help your teammates. When you get into the game, be a playmaker. If someone goes down, take their place and be the future of the program. Coaches, believe in all these kids, encourage all of them. The scout team running back is just as important as the starting running back, this is how you build for the future. Even one forgotten player takes away from the whole and the chain of unity is broken. We can have the disease of self pity or the power of belief. I like the word "Warrior," it stands for something....be one!

CoachKen

I agree this game is HUGE and will determine how the rest of our season pans out...if the team does everything u said above, we should win easily...GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

CoachKen wrote:There are crossroads in life where an event changed the course of destiny for an individual or a team. San Jose State is one of those "defining moments." How we play will in a very real sense determine the momentum of the season. If we were to lose this game and be 1-3 we would have six more "must games" to win. We could only lose three and be bowl eligible which I think is extremely important for this team. If we are instead 2-2 after San Jose State we could take momentum into a very tough road stretch. San Jose State is a very good but not great team. They have shown they can play against tough opponents and this game will have special significance to them. Tomey will have his team ready. The key to this game will be our offense, not our defense. The defense will play well for reasons I will go into in the scouting report. Tomey has shown he knows what to do against the run and shoot so it will come down to "efficiency" on offense. We have to do the following with the last one being the most important:

CoachKen
I hope all the coaches, players and fans read this. This is what I'm talking about, coach!!!! Amen!!!!!!!!!!