September 8th Chat with Jim Donovan (Live Thread)

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
2left
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: September 8th Chat with Jim Donovan (Live Thread)

Post by 2left »

Jim: I wanted to add on to Maverick's thoughts about internet viewing. I live outside of Hawaii, and have been scrambling to watch UH games ever since we lost the contract with Prime Ticket. I think it would benefit UH to look at internet streaming as more than a throw-away item that doesn't produce significant revenue. I would guess there are a huge number of UH fans like me who live outside of Hawaii and are dying to watch the games. Last year, it really felt like there was a "Warrior nation" that snowballed to culminate in the turnout in New Orleans at the Sugar Bowl. I really don't think this would have happened if all we mainland fans had to keep in touch with the team were news clippings and word of mouth. I urge UH to look seriously at internet viewing as a vital part of fan and alumni relations.
Last edited by 2left on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Manoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Manoa »

Jim:

Thanks for your time.

Regarding the live streaming over the internet, this is a big issue for Hawaii fans outside of Hawaii-- and there are many-- who have come to depend on this since it is often their only way to access the games. I accessed it when I was traveling on business. We should find a way to do this directly through the Athletic department using a UH server or through Oceanic. The feed can be blocked locally.

The information on this was handled poorly by Hawaiiantel-- there website is still offering the service-- and Oceanic where it was not clear whether it would be offered on the mainland or not.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Scott Posting For: goodfaith
Aloha,

Thanks for answering questions here. Can you mention anything about possible staff changes? Would you consider hiring Keith Amemiya for a position?
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

2left wrote:Jim: I wanted to add on to Maverick's thoughts about internet viewing. I live outside of Hawaii, and have been scrambling to watch UH games ever since we lost the contract with Prime Ticket. I think it would benefit UH to look at internet streaming as more than a throw-away item that doesn't produce significant revenue. I would guess there are a huge number of UH fans like me who live outside of Hawaii and are dying to watch the games. Last year, it really felt like there was "Warrior nation" that snowballed to culminate in the turnout in New Orleans at the Sugar Bowl. I really don't think this would have happened if all we mainland fans had to keep in touch with the team were newws clippings and word of mouth. I urge UH to look seriously at internet viewing as a vital part of fan and alumni relations.
And there are fans inside of Hawaii that do not have Oceanic or Road Runner that used HawaiianTelCom as an alterative. As internet streaming has been restricted to Road Runner customers in Hawaii you have lost the customers who do not have it.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Manoa wrote:Jim:

Thanks for your time.

Regarding the live streaming over the internet, this is a big issue for Hawaii fans outside of Hawaii-- and there are many-- who have come to depend on this since it is often their only way to access the games. I accessed it when I was traveling on business. We should find a way to do this directly through the Athletic department using a UH server or through Oceanic. The feed can be blocked locally.

The information on this was handled poorly by Hawaiiantel-- there website is still offering the service-- and Oceanic where it was not clear whether it would be offered on the mainland or not.
HawaiinTelCom is not offering the service anymore at their website. I just checked. They have cited a cost increase in broadcasting rights as being the reason.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

Hello Jim,

I'm a current student attending at HCC and I was wondering if someone brought up the student season ticket situation where only UH Manoa students can purchase online. There have been many fliers at the HCC campus where it said "All UH system students can purchase online at the Hawaii Athletics Website" so I was confused. I know this is the first year but I was hoping when it could become available to all UH system students since you have to pay for parking at UH and the gas prices traveling to the box office. Thanks!

-couz808
Last edited by couz808 on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Scott wrote:Scott posting for: Craighoops
RESURFACING COOKE FIELD
Aloha Jim, and Congrats again on being named our new AD at UH. I think you're doing a great job so far. Thanks again.

*Jim, what are we going to DO with Dennis Sadowski, Co-Ha Builders and the Resurfacing of Cooke Field being DELAYED AGAIN!! He lost out fair and square in the bidding process, but filed a grievance because he said additional licensing was needed. As you know he's also on the State Contractor's Licensing Board, and also has a Field Turf Installation Business...which to me is an OBVIOUS CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

He pushed through a "recommendation" that additional licensing was needed, but the Exec. Officer of the Board said IT WAS JUST A RECOMMENDATION, and NOT a Requirement. How much CLEARER can it be??

Jim, you are using STATE TAX PAYER DOLLARS via the amount allocated to you from the Senate for Improvements at the UHAD. This DELAY is NOT ACCEPTABLE, and as State Tax Payers I feel we have a right to COMPLAIN about it to you and to ask you to PLEASE FIX THIS SILLY SITUATION asap, sir!! It's an OBVIOUS Greed play by Sadowski and Co-Ha Builders. DENY his complaint and LETS GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD, Jim!!!! Please. Just take care of the People's Business, and help REGAIN THE TRUST of the State of Hawaii in how the UH handles it's affairs. Very LITTLE confidence in that right now..but sir YOU CAN HELP CHANGE THAT.

Mahalo sir, God bless and Aloha for TAKING CARE of this matter. Our Boys will NEED that field, and that's THIS season esp. once the Rains come in mid. November. Cooke Field is a EMBARASSMENT and a Abomination, and every day it sits that way is an AUWE to all in charge. Thank you for Taking CARE of this matter asap, Jim. Aloha and Mahalo!
-------------------------

Craighoops -

Okay, here's the situation.... The State of Hawaii has a very cumbersome procurement code that must be followed when purchasing almost anything and especially something of this magnitude. I, along with many others here at the University, am very frustrated with the current situation for at least two reasons:

1) Because of the state procurement code, we cannot start the construction of the field turf at the Clarence TC Ching Complex until all protest processes have been completed -- it's the law; and

2) It's my sense that we had a fair bid process for the construction of the new field turf at the Clarence TC Ching Complex, but at least one of the "losing" bidders (meaning they came in with a bid higher than the lowest bidder) are trying their best to get the bid thrown out. Why this is so frustrating is because we teach our student-athletes to compete as hard as possible until the clock reads 0:00 and the game is over. We teach them once the game is over, to go over and shake their opponents' hands and congratulate them on a great contest no matter whether they won or lost. We teach them that after the game is over, they need to take the lessons learned and apply them to the next game or season. In this case, it appears that at least one of the bidders wants to keep on "playing the game after the game is essentially over".

As it stands right now, we will have to continue the appeals process as outlined by the state procurement code until all appeals are exhausted or upheld. It's unfortunate that our student-athletes, the students on campus, intramural participants, ROTC cadets, and many others will have to wait while this issue plays out.

Maybe this whole situation can be the catalyst to have the state procurement code reviewed and hopefully revised so that construction of state projects can happen in a more timely and efficient manner.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Jim I will continue posting question that people had who couldn't make today's chat. If you have any time constraints and have to leave, don't worry about it, we can pick it up again next month again. Thank you so much for your time and effort!

Mahalo,
Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Scott Posting For: laiho03 (disregard, repeat question)
Hi,

I ask you last time about the student ticket online but why is that only UHM student are allow to use that all other UH system student can only get like season ticket and other at the main ticket office. also i dont mind going there to get it but i went twice the last two day and the parking is always full so i end up not being able to go to the football game or the volleyball game.

Mahalo,
Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Scott Posting for Hawkpeter
Jim,

Peter here from Sydney, Australia. I was introduced to you in 2006 by Paul Manera.

My question for you is in regards to the internet streaming service offered by Oceanic Cable. In recent seasons this service has been offered by Hawaiian Telmedia.com and last year in particular this was an excellent product, great value for money and very reliable. It also serves as the only way for non-hawaiian based Warrior fans to watch the game live.

I write this to you as the Weber State game has already kicked off. Oceanic Cable has been unavailable, logging on and ordering has been impossible and others have communicated the same problem around the globe. The service was only offered for purchase 1 hour before kick off and that management planning alone suggested a possible problem could occur due to a mass of internet ordering traffic all at once.

Can you please investigate this on behalf of non-Hawaiian based fans, what is Oceanic going to do to improve this service and make sure that this does not happen any again.

https://secure.oceanic.com/Streaming/

Mahalo,
Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Scott Posting For: uhwarriors
Jim,

I know several neighbor island fans who fly over for football games. Do you have any plans for joint promotions with the Superferry to make it easy for neighbor island fans to come over for games? They could bring their cars over packed and ready for a tailgate. Obviously there wouldn't be a large number doing it, but it would a way to reach out to the neighbor island fans.

Your neighbor down the street (aka uhwarriors)

Mahalo,
Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Scott Posting For: kkv2000
Aloha Jim, in future scheduling with bcs teams will your preference be for 2home and 1 away, home and home or single encounter games either home or away. I like playing premier programs on an occasional basis however it is hard to estimate our team strength in future years. It seems that often we have these teams on our schedule when we are rebuilding. I would like to see more games with big 12 opponents, are their any possibilities? Thank you.

Mahalo,
Scott

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Scott wrote:Scott Posting For: Luke96792
Luke96792 wrote:
From the Aug Chat:
Are their any plans in place of creating lower campus to look more "eye appealing" and "fan friendly" for the average fan and for visitors especially in walk ways leading up to the facilities? It seems to be very bland, and I would hope we could spruce those up with potential landscaping, light fixtures, beautiful new walkway paths that will stand out and look very appealing for the typical "fan" and make lower campus look more "inviting" as well.

I know it takes money of course, but are their renderings or visions that fans could take a peek at to see what the officials envision for lower campus? Because like I mentioned earlier, if you give fans an idea of what "could" happen, it will in turn encourage folks to give to the athletic program. So it works hand-in-hand.
-------------------------------

Luke96792 -

Actually, we have been working hard over the past 5 months to improve the facilities and grounds on makai campus. Our groundskeepers and facilities staff have worked to improve the landscaping all around the Stan Sheriff Center and athletic complex. Things like removing dead growth and weeds and replacing them with new plants and decorative garden settings. In addition, we had a makai campus "Manoa Makeover Day" about 2 weeks ago in which more than 100 volunteers from the UH athletic department came out and did various improvements to areas around the athletic complex (over 500 man hours were put into this endeavor). The Chancellor and her husband Bill even showed up to help us out. We will continue to make improvements in this area, but please continue to have some patience with us as it is a big job that takes some money and a lot of man hours to get it to where I want it to be. But rest assured we're going to get it done. Thanks!

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

2left wrote:Jim: I wanted to add on to Maverick's thoughts about internet viewing. I live outside of Hawaii, and have been scrambling to watch UH games ever since we lost the contract with Prime Ticket. I think it would benefit UH to look at internet streaming as more than a throw-away item that doesn't produce significant revenue. I would guess there are a huge number of UH fans like me who live outside of Hawaii and are dying to watch the games. Last year, it really felt like there was a "Warrior nation" that snowballed to culminate in the turnout in New Orleans at the Sugar Bowl. I really don't think this would have happened if all we mainland fans had to keep in touch with the team were news clippings and word of mouth. I urge UH to look seriously at internet viewing as a vital part of fan and alumni relations.
------------------------------

2left -

First of all, thanks so much for your support from the mainland! I'm not saying we won't have an internet streaming of our games. What I am saying is it is not a significant source of net revenue from our Oceanic Time Warner Cable contract and therefore, we are limited on what upgrades and product options we can provide. In addition to the Oceanic internet streaming, K5 has entered into an agreement with IPTV which allows you to watch the games on your television even though it is streaming over the internet. If you'd like more information on this product, please visit:

http://www.tvfromhawaii.com/index2.htm

In addition, quite a few of our games seem to be making it onto ESPN or ESPN2, and with the new ESPN/WAC contract, there may even be more of our games being broadcasted this way. As I said before, we will continue to work on these products as the economics of the situation allow. Lastly, you can always visit our website at:

www.hawaiiathletics.com

You can view video and see all the new features of UH Athletics and find out information about your favorite athletes and sports programs (not to mention scores and schedules). Thanks for your feedback and support!

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Scott wrote:Scott Posting For: goodfaith
Aloha,

Thanks for answering questions here. Can you mention anything about possible staff changes? Would you consider hiring Keith Amemiya for a position?
--------------------------
goodfaith -

Let me start by stating that I think the world of Keith Amemiya and the job he's done as Executive Director of the HHSAA. He has consistently shown leadership ability on various issues that have a diverse and complex set of opinions from high school administrators and he has done a great job fundraising and increasing the number of post-season athletic events. He's more than capable of doing many of the jobs here at UH Athletics, but I'm sure the Executive Board of the HHSAA is doing everything possible to keep him happy and right where he's at.

As far as staff changes here, there's not much I would ever discuss in public in regards to employee matters. I will say I was asked to come in and fairly evaluate all the administrators without any preconceived opinions and I'm doing that. Let me add that in most cases, I'm very pleased with the effort and results of the administrative team and staff to address the issues that I have deemed a priority (i.e. ticket pricing; facilities and grounds improvements; customer service issues; budget issues; etc.) Can't really add more than that, but thanks for your question.