Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

UH Spring Practice 3/31 + Photos

Post by ubercow »

Got some photos from this morning's practice, will post them when I get home tonight. Channel 7+8 were taping at the time, and there were about 40 or so spectators on the hill. Only caught the first half of practice, and they were doing mostly drills. Anyone else got an update?

-update- gallery link
http://www.sportshawaii.com/gallery2/ma ... emId=18994

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Re: UH Spring Practice 3/31

Post by bigislandkurt »

First thing I checked for this morning was an update on this morning. Anybody with info? Please?

I heard on Liz Chun's KGMB report that the whole team went through some of the opening drills.....QB's and all. Coach Mack is definitely continuing to establish his presence.

BIK
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

DaveR's Blog had a play by play call from "THE HILL"
http://starbulletin.com/blogs/uhsportsextra/

YpoWarrior
All-conference
All-conference
NFL: Oakland Raiders

Post by YpoWarrior »

Go to Dave Reardon's blog at the star-bulletin site for updates:

http://starbulletin.com/blogs/uhsportse ... /football/
Go Warriors!!!

fuzzylogic
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by fuzzylogic »

From the UH Athletic Department site.

http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/pr.html?prid=15069&p=3

Warriors Open Spring Practice, McMackin Era Begins

Release Date: 03/31/08
HONOLULU - The reigning Western Athletic Conference champion University of Hawai`i football team officially began spring practice Monday with a spirited effort at the UH grass practice fields. The Warriors took the field under new head coach Greg McMackin, who spent last season as the team's defensive coordinator.

"It was really exciting to get out here today," McMackin said. "What impressed me the most was the attitude of the players. The energy level was way up, everyone was fired up and we played fast. It really showed how hard these guys have worked in the off-season."

The Warriors return a total of 12 starters, four on offense, five on defense and three on special teams, from last season's perfect 12-0 regular season squad. Of the 114 players participating in spring camp, 63 lettered, 21 redshirted, eight grayshirted, and seven were four-year transfers.

UH will be rebuilding on offense with the loss of nearly all of its skill players from last year. McMackin was nonetheless enthusiastic with the initial performance.

"The timing of our quarterbacks and receivers for this time of year was a good as it gets, which shows they've been working hard," he said.

The strength of this year's team figures to be the defense, including perhaps one of the best linebacking corps in program history.

"On offensive we'll be rebuilding and on defense we'll be working to get better," McMackin said. "Our defense, especially the front seven, will be the face of the team. It's a physical group and they gave a great effort today."

This season is the first for McMackin and his newly assembled staff. Four assistant coaches from last season were retained including new offensive coordinator Ron Lee and new defensive coordinator Cal Lee. Also returning are associate head coach Rich Miano, who'll continue to coach the secondary and assistant head coach George Lumpkin, who'll handle the linebackers.

McMackin brought in five new assistant coaches including former Warriors Nick Rolovich (quarterbacks) and Brian Smith (offensive line). Rolovich lettered for UH from 2000-01 while Smith was the team's center from 1998-2001. Dave Aranda (defensive line), Ikaika Malloe (defensive tackles/special teams) and Alex Gerke (offensive line/running backs) are also on board.

"I was really impressed with the teaching of our coaches today," McMackin said. "The stayed on plan and showed a lot of enthusiasm."

The 15-date spring practice concludes Saturday, April 26 with the annual Football `Ohana Festival at Aloha Stadium. Most practices run from 7-9 a.m. and are open to the public.
-UH-

Garret
Starter
Starter

Post by Garret »

Video from Spring Practice by Leila Wai.

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs ... 5/80331045

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Garret wrote:Video from Spring Practice by Leila Wai.

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs ... 5/80331045
That was awesome! I like the fact that the RB's are being pushed more harder w/ the new regime in place.

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

Who's the WR #80 toward the end of the vid?

I'll get the news uploaded later tonight for everyone.
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

chawan_cut wrote:Who's the WR #80 toward the end of the vid?

I'll get the news uploaded later tonight for everyone.
Daniel Lofton

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Ho, the Advertiser video site is sah-lo-ho-ho-ho.
I think I'll try to watch it again around midnight.

This is really exciting. New coaches. New skill players. New recruits and transfers.

NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NFL: Dallas

Post by NelsonO »

Some of my thoughts and observations on the first day:

Safety Viliami Nauahi has some sort of injury. You can tell which players are on the injury list as the injured player is not allowed to wear a helmet on the practice field. Nauahi was not wearing a helmet today, but that did not prevent him from participating in some of the defensive back drills. Being that today was the first day of spring practice, there was not a lot of hitting going on. And even though Nauahi ran through some of the drills, nobody actually delivered hit on Nauahi. Safety Erik Robinson is also injured and he did not participate in any of the drills.

I think the Warriors will get their money’s worth from graduate assistant Craig Stutzmann. With the way Stutzmann was running the show with the receivers, you would think he was more than a graduate assistant. And it’s kinda weird to see Rolovich and Stutzmann conducting the passing drills, instead of June Jones and Dan Morrison.

It looks like Coach George Lumpkin will be assisting Coach Rich Miano with the defensive backs.

Former UH linebacker Chris Brown is also helping out with the defense.

If you have been paying attention you know the first group on defense. Here is the second group as they lined up today; Purcell, Tufaga, Savaiigaea, and Allen-Jones on the d-line. Kafentzis, Satele, and Kiesel-Kauhane at linebackers. Roberts, Smith, Porlas, and Dowling in the secondary.

Dowling is probably the biggest cornerback I have seen in a UH uniform in quite some time. And speaking of big guys, defensive lineman Quentin Beaver is one massive guy.

Sideline warning- I know it’s called Cooke Field, but there is actually no “field” on Cooke Field. This lack of a field, however, does not prevent the ROTC guys and gals from conducting their work-outs and calisthenics on Cooke “Field.” And the ROTC group is working up a sweat even before football practice begins at 7:00am.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

Haha! I like the sound of that!

"Coach Rolo"

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

thanks for the scoops NelsonO 8)
NelsonO wrote:Sideline warning- I know it’s called Cooke Field, but there is actually no “field” on Cooke Field. This lack of a field, however, does not prevent the ROTC guys and gals from conducting their work-outs and calisthenics on Cooke “Field.” And the ROTC group is working up a sweat even before football practice begins at 7:00am.
ahh, such is military life :lol: :tv:

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: UH Spring Practice 3/31 + Photos

Post by ubercow »

Images have been added to the gallery.

http://www.sportshawaii.com/gallery2/ma ... emId=18994

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Re: UH Spring Practice 3/31 + Photos

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

thanks for the pics!

anyone know who the guy in the plain clothes is?