The Rebirth of Warrior Football

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
CoachKen
Insider
Insider

The Rebirth of Warrior Football

Post by CoachKen »

Like the mythical bird, the Phoenix rising from the ashes, Warrior football is about to experience a rebirth and no one is more excited than the players. I sit here and type at 7 am Eastern Standard Time and feel like I will be waking my son up for Christmas morning to give him the news that Santa has arrived again! First we have to thank June Jones and all we owe him for bringing the program to grand and glorious heights. Because of him the greatly needed faciliity changes and upgrades will be a reality and the Warriors have learned a valuable lesson...they can compete with anyone in the nation. What does the appointment of Greg McMackin as head coach of Warrior football really mean?

First, as soon as he came back to paradise, there was a new energy. I know he touched even the offensive players when he told the offensive scout team the first day how important they were and he would not allow any defensive player to take cheap shots at them...he was true to his word. He complimented these players daily and inspired them to give the best look possible. A great head coach is far more than football knowledge (which McMackin is a genius!). If we go down the checklist how does McMackin come out?

1. Inspirational leader- Players must love and respect you....check!
2. You must have a solid football philosophy you live by....check!
3. A sense of humor is not a necessity but adds a special touch....check!
4. You must believe in the value of hard work....check!
5. You must inspire your assistant coaches and honor their input....check!
6. You must rally the fans, the press, recruits, team members and coaches....double check!
7. You must be organized and demand the best from those around you....check!
8. Experience is a bonus (NFL, head coach, player, DI assistant)....double check!
9. Game preparation must be a way of life and outcoaching others wins the close games....check!
10. You must love where you are, you must believe in the Ohana...triple check!

There was never a choice other than this man. What can we expect to see?

Offensively

The appointment of Smith and Rolovich is both refreshing, logical and brilliant!

Nick knows the system in his sleep and proved both his confidence, skill and intelligence to run the system. He is a young coach who will inspire QB's and the entire team with his passion, love for UH and his coaching skill. An injection of youth and experience at the same time. I posted last night that I hoped UH made this hire....great move and welcome Rolo!

Smith knows our offense, our line calls and once again brings the youth and passion that mixes well with our extensive experience. These two combined with Ron Lee create a close alliance of master and pupil that brings new ideas and a cohesive offensive staff ready to bring new innovation.

Ron Lee has been the man behind the scenes who year after year formed a receiving corp that was the backbone of this offense. No matter who graduated others were ready to take their place immediately. What to expect:

1. More precision on the offense. Ron demands perfection in routes. You can make the run and shoot too complicated and less effective. Look for the running game to be a bigger part of the offense which will open whole new opportunities and adjustments.
2. More openness to change if necessary to adapt to each team week to week. This is big!
3. More receivers playing every game. Often not known to fans, many receivers played hurt or had the legs tired toward the end of the season. Ron believes that any player who has worked hard and shown himself ready in practice should get on the field and starters need to rest their legs during the game for maximum efficiency. This is great for morale and competition. Guys like Michael Washington and Aaron Bain who could have contributed more of course will be the odds on favorites to start at slots with Greg Salas and Malcolm Lane at the widouts but expect at least four other receivers to get substantial playing time if they prove themselves in the off season and the spring.
4. Many players fighting for their chance to prove something to new coaches! Look for the most exciting spring in the history of UH football!

Defensively Cal Lee will be a proponent of McMackin's philosophy of gap control defense with numerous zone blitzes and highly calculated risk. An attacking swarming defense that gang tackles and makes big plays with emotion!

I am not sure where Jeff Reinbold fits in, he is a fantastic coach and I hope he stays. Whatever choice he makes I wish him the best. If I were head coach I would instantly make him Recruiting Coordinator, he is a master at this!

The rest of the defensive staff is solid. Rich Miano's knowledge of the secondary is the best and have always respected his coaching, love of the kids, and his personality and knowledge!

Lumpkin is the glue and means a lot to the kids and the coaches in solidifying the defense.

Things I hope to see:

1. A change in the home dress policy. All kids who work hard are deserving to put on the Warrior uniform, not set in the stands. Total team morale is critical right now and this would inspire even walkons to new heights.
2. Open up special teams to all players not just defense with only a few offensive opportunities.
3. The university come through on its promises to improve the facilities. They have a rate opportunity to show their love and support of this team and now is the time to do it.
4. Full support by all of us for this new (and old) rebirth.

Change in life is inevitable, without change their is no progress. June laid the foundation, let the transformation begin! The Phoenix has risen and is getting ready to take full flight when the sun arises on a new era in paradise. Let the games begin!

CoachKen
Character, strength, and honor!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: The Rebirth of Warrior Football

Post by Irse »

Great insight as always Coach. I hope the higher ups keep their words and follow through. Also would like to see JR here.
ImageImage

2ScoopRice
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by 2ScoopRice »

"2. Open up special teams to all players not just defense with only a few offensive opportunities."

I didn't know this was the policy, but I would hope that special teams would be open to everyone with the best people earning spots. I did notice that there were some people playing on special teams that didn't really have the necessary skills, such as tackling to be starters on kick-off and punt teams, but it seemed they were there as a reward for working hard in other areas and not getting as much playing time there.
Last edited by 2ScoopRice on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some folks are wise and some folks are otherwise. ~ Old English Proverb

A teacher affects eternity. He can never tell where his influence stops. ~ Henry Adams

Lucky you live Hawaii !!!

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

I always wondered why some of the team members didn't dress out during the games and sat in the stands. I would think that they would be better served on the sideline with the rest of the team. That is what being a part of a family is all about.

I also like the idea of getting more players in the game which will accomplish a a couple of things. It will give the non starters more experience. It will cause more competition. It will give the starters more rest time to allow them to finish the game strong.

I'm happy we get to keep McMackin attacking defense.

I look forward to the Lee brothers getting it done. I believe they will make their mark. This football team will be more exciting than ever before to watch. I can't wait until spring practice begins.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I like Mac as the pick and CoachKen your points are on the spot.

Change in this case is good.

But didn't an LB move to RB so he could play on special teams?

I am excited about the changes and the new opportunities that it presents coaches and players.

808havok
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808havok »

CoachKen wrote:1. A change in the home dress policy. All kids who work hard are deserving to put on the Warrior uniform, not set in the stands. Total team morale is critical right now and this would inspire even walkons to new heights.
i don't have a source or link, but, i thought the reasoning behind this came after JJ got in the car accident. having too much players on the sidelines can result in possibility of players getting hurt when plays go out of bounds and JJ and coaches may have no where to go if the sideline is crowded should the play come their way. i believe JJ always stood 10 yards or so behind the LOS in case the play went out of bounds and he'd be in the way. he said that after the accident, he wasn't mobile. having a crowded sideline also can create problems in subbing or players getting on the field on time. anyone remember the usc kickoff fiasco?

i believe it was for safety reasons... again, no link or anything but that's what i seem to recall...

having said that, i agree that its a total morale booster and if it can help the team, and the coaches are all in agreement, that's cool wif me.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

I always thought that it was Jerry Glanville who started the "not everyone gets to dress" thing. Basically I thought that he thought the sidelines were too crowded and chaotic and had a hard time finding people...

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

I don't know about "Rebirth". GM just said a couple times that it's a continuation of June's Legacy. "Rebirth"? Maybe not. But even before the news conference we knew it would be basically the same D and almost the same O. Feels a little more like Retooling.

Red Gun
Starter
Starter
MLB: Royals
NBA: ---
NFL: All Warriors!!!

Post by Red Gun »

H20 wrote: With the same D and almost the same O, feels a little more like Retooling.
And that is just fine with me! Let's get this thing rolling! Tyler Graunke now has his chance to show the world what he can do!

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

H20 wrote:I don't know about "Rebirth". GM just a couple times that it's a continuation of June's Legacy. "Rebirth"? Maybe not. With the same D and almost the same O, feels a little more like Retooling.
After the roller coaster ride of the last 3 weeks especially the last 9 days, it sure feels like a "rebirth".

H20

Post by H20 »

Red Gun wrote:
H20 wrote: With the same D and almost the same O, feels a little more like Retooling.
And that is just fine with me! Let's get this thing rolling! Tyler Graunke now has his chance to show the world what he can do!
Oh I'm not complaining, like coach said why mess with what's working, I agree. I just thought Rebirth was kind of strong when the changes are actually going to be a lot less than most times when Head coaches change at colleges. Also, did our Warriors die that they needed to be reborn? :wink: Retool, Restart, Reinvigorate, Re.......um......mind us that we had a good thing going so let's make a few tweaks and keep it going. :lol:

The team wasn't gone, they were still there. Now if Mac brought back the Rainbows, THAT would have been a Rebirth.

2ScoopRice
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by 2ScoopRice »

managerr wrote:I always thought that it was Jerry Glanville who started the "not everyone gets to dress" thing. Basically I thought that he thought the sidelines were too crowded and chaotic and had a hard time finding people...
That's how I remember it.

A teacher affects eternity. He can never tell where his influence stops. ~ Henry Adams

TemeculaWarrior
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TemeculaWarrior »

H20 wrote:...Now if Mac brought back the Rainbows, THAT would have been a Rebirth.
May that never ever happen!!!!

TW 8)
GO WARRIORS!!!

H20

Post by H20 »

2ScoopRice wrote:
managerr wrote:I always thought that it was Jerry Glanville who started the "not everyone gets to dress" thing. Basically I thought that he thought the sidelines were too crowded and chaotic and had a hard time finding people...
When you know people by numbers and not faces and names there's bound to be confusion anyway.

2ScoopRice
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by 2ScoopRice »

H20 wrote:
2ScoopRice wrote:
When you know people by numbers and not faces and names there's bound to be confusion anyway.
That's the truth! Did you notice when players were asked about Coach McMackin they usually mentioned that HE KNOWS THEIR NAME.