Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
User avatar
shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2228
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 pm
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers
Location: Mainland

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:55 am
My3Cats wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 am
That's just tooooooo hilarious!
Should they win the Academy Award for a short film? I'm down on the Republican knuckleheads, but often neglect to show respect to those Republicans who are not afraid to stand up to Trump. The Lincoln Project is Republican. I'm sorry, but looking at this tragedy unfold from the outside has been agonizing. America has been the most powerful country in the world for some time now. How can they mess up a simple public health situation? How did America become the worst affected country in the world, despite being one of the last to be affected? Everyone knew Florida, Texas, and Louisiana...among other knucklehead states...would reap the effects of their callousness months ago. OMG...that Republican representative from Texas blaming his recent mask use for an increased possibility of infection...it's just...it just...perfectly embodies the sentiment of that short film.


Link

User avatar
shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2228
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 pm
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers
Location: Mainland

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by shrek2 »

Does Trump have more propaganda to spread through a doctor in Dr Birx?
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/nancy-pe ... 17445.html
When will this deceitful man actually come to grips with the situation and try to solve the problems without brute force.

User avatar
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 6756
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by SundayJam »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... nd-tuesday
The government on Tuesday reported one new case of Covid-19, a Russian woman in quarantine, and no new deaths.

No local transmissions of the virus have been reported for the past 71 days.

...Of the 529 people who have arrived from Russia, 1.82% have been found to be infected with the novel coronavirus.

The new case raised the accumulated total to 3,321, 3,142 of whom have recovered, leaving 121 in hospitals. The death toll has remained unchanged at 58 since June 2.

Globally, Covid-19 cases rose by 208,548 over the past 24 hours to 18.44 million. The death toll increased by 4,394 to 697,188. The United States had the most cases at 4.86 million, up by 48,527, and the most deaths at 158,929, up by 564.
Guys, I have been posting on this forum for years. There is no locally spread Covid here. This country did it right. Wear a mask and stop listening to Trump. Enclosed spaces like bars and political rallies are the worst. Trust me, I like bars more than most of you, and yeah, you'd never catch me at a political rally to save my life. The deaths in my country of birth are 10-times what they are here in totality--in a single day! WAKE UP!



Link

This is the full interview with AXIOS. It's just plain nuts.



Link

User avatar
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 6756
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by SundayJam »

SundayJam wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 am
[

This is the full interview with AXIOS. It's just plain nuts.



Link
This video has 11 million views already and has been banned in my country of residence.
I don't understand this kind of censorship. I mean, with all the commentary and highlight videos still available, why would someone think the raw video itself would be more damaging to the president? Okay, okay...I saw the video and the complete content is very damaging.

User avatar
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 6756
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by SundayJam »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... s-infected
The government on Thursday reported two new cases of coronavirus disease 2019, returnees from the United States, as the total rose to 3,330.

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said the two new patients were a man aged 42 and a woman, 62, both Thai nationals. They tested positive for Covid-19 on Tuesday, but were asymptomatic. So far, 4,739 people have returned from the US and 9.41% of them have tested positive for the disease.

Globally, Covid-19 cases rose by 272,252 over the previous 24 hours to 18.97 million and the death toll increase by 6,824 to 711,189.

The US had the most cases at 4.97 million, up by 55,148, and the most deaths at 161,601, up by 1,311.
10% of all returnees from America are testing positive in Thailand. This is plain science. Follow the rules and be done with this demon. Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Keep social distance. Stay away from enclosed spaces with a lot of people! Do this for 2 weeks and you're good. We're all good.

User avatar
My3Cats
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2260
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am
Location: Mililani, HI

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by My3Cats »

Hawaii's count has been climbing, climbing, climbing. 173 more positives in the state yesterday. Many people think this thing is over and are not wearing masks (under the chin don't count), and social distancing. See gatherings all over. Covidiots all.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

User avatar
shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2228
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 pm
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers
Location: Mainland

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:01 pm
SundayJam wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 am
[

This is the full interview with AXIOS. It's just plain nuts.



Link
This video has 11 million views already and has been banned in my country of residence.
I don't understand this kind of censorship. I mean, with all the commentary and highlight videos still available, why would someone think the raw video itself would be more damaging to the president? Okay, okay...I saw the video and the complete content is very damaging.
Here's a shortened version of the original 30 minute program above with highlights of the interview where the interviewer was actually able to get in some words. Most of the original interview is Trump interrupting, not answering questions and taking a word and expanding it to say how great he's done on the word mentioned.


Link

User avatar
shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2228
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 pm
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers
Location: Mainland

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:17 am
Hawaii's count has been climbing, climbing, climbing. 173 more positives in the state yesterday. Many people think this thing is over and are not wearing masks (under the chin don't count), and social distancing. See gatherings all over. Covidiots all.
I wonder how much of that is related to people actually coming into Hawaii. Ie, I read in the HSA that there was an 18yo boy and his father cited for failure to heed the 14 day quarantine and they were caught at Foodland before it was open. They both tested positive. I wonder how many of people are taking the quarantine less serious and not reporting violations.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2067
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:33 am
My3Cats wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:17 am
Hawaii's count has been climbing, climbing, climbing. 173 more positives in the state yesterday. Many people think this thing is over and are not wearing masks (under the chin don't count), and social distancing. See gatherings all over. Covidiots all.
I wonder how much of that is related to people actually coming into Hawaii. Ie, I read in the HSA that there was an 18yo boy and his father cited for failure to heed the 14 day quarantine and they were caught at Foodland before it was open. They both tested positive. I wonder how many of people are taking the quarantine less serious and not reporting violations.
I think out of state travelers have a part in this, but data from DOH and in my opinion, this is now more community spread. Drive by any beach and you’ll see groups of people maskless and clearly not separated the recommended 6 feet. People having large parties. I think locals need to stop blaming tourists in this instance.

User avatar
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 6756
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by SundayJam »

EITSwarrior wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:02 am
shrek2 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:33 am
My3Cats wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:17 am
Hawaii's count has been climbing, climbing, climbing. 173 more positives in the state yesterday. Many people think this thing is over and are not wearing masks (under the chin don't count), and social distancing. See gatherings all over. Covidiots all.
I wonder how much of that is related to people actually coming into Hawaii. Ie, I read in the HSA that there was an 18yo boy and his father cited for failure to heed the 14 day quarantine and they were caught at Foodland before it was open. They both tested positive. I wonder how many of people are taking the quarantine less serious and not reporting violations.
I think out of state travelers have a part in this, but data from DOH and in my opinion, this is now more community spread. Drive by any beach and you’ll see groups of people maskless and clearly not separated the recommended 6 feet. People having large parties. I think locals need to stop blaming tourists in this instance.
Again, this is a failure of government. People arriving here do not have a choice to self-quarantine. They are taken from the airport to a quarantine hotel which the visitor pays for. The only option given is for a deluxe or basic accommodation. After 14 days, they can leave. When the president and vocal rights advocates say it's not right to wear a mask, we have a problem.

Image
This is what arrivals look like over here.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2067
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by EITSwarrior »

SundayJam wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:14 pm
EITSwarrior wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:02 am
shrek2 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:33 am

I wonder how much of that is related to people actually coming into Hawaii. Ie, I read in the HSA that there was an 18yo boy and his father cited for failure to heed the 14 day quarantine and they were caught at Foodland before it was open. They both tested positive. I wonder how many of people are taking the quarantine less serious and not reporting violations.
I think out of state travelers have a part in this, but data from DOH and in my opinion, this is now more community spread. Drive by any beach and you’ll see groups of people maskless and clearly not separated the recommended 6 feet. People having large parties. I think locals need to stop blaming tourists in this instance.
Again, this is a failure of government. People arriving here do not have a choice to self-quarantine. They are taken from the airport to a quarantine hotel which the visitor pays for. The only option given is for a deluxe or basic accommodation. After 14 days, they can leave. When the president and vocal rights advocates say it's not right to wear a mask, we have a problem.

Image
This is what arrivals look like over here.
I did not say that the US government doesn't deserve some blame as well. Of course they do. My point was that this current spread in Hawaii is more than just tourists.

User avatar
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 6756
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by SundayJam »

EITSwarrior wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:00 pm

I did not say that the US government doesn't deserve some blame as well. Of course they do. My point was that this current spread in Hawaii is more than just tourists.
I agree that the average person is indeed responsible. How can so many people believe in conspiracy theories, disinformation, and just-plain-nonsense? However, my point was that this kind of behavior has been promoted from the very top. America and Hawaii, I've got news for you: The emperor is not wearing anything. I can verify that science does, in fact, work. Please use a mask and stay out of enclosed, crowded spaces. Social distancing is almost impossible to practice, but when you're wearing a mask...you've got that much less of a chance of breathing in those monsters. With more than 2 months here being covid-free, we still all wear masks.

User avatar
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 6756
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by SundayJam »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -indonesia
Image
Three new Covid-19 cases reported on Saturday were Thais from Saudi Arabia and Indonesia, bringing the total to 3,348. The death toll remained unchanged at 58.

Global Covid-19 cases rose by 284,567 over the past 24 hours to 19.54 million and the death toll was up by 6,370 to 724,050. The United States had the most cases at 5.09 million, up by 63,345.
Why? Chicken Thigh! Recently, Trump called Thailand, Thigh-land. WTF?! Following science makes sense. Get educated, Mr. Trump. In-line with Mr. EITSwarrior: get educated people of Hawaii and the rest of America.

User avatar
shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2228
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 pm
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers
Location: Mainland

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:42 am
Why? Chicken Thigh! Recently, Trump called Thailand, Thigh-land. WTF?! Following science makes sense. Get educated, Mr. Trump. In-line with Mr. EITSwarrior: get educated people of Hawaii and the rest of America.
There was a visiting professor from the UK in graduate school at UH who had been teaching in Hong Kong at the time and he said all the Aussies pronounce it as Thigh as opposed to Tai. He said he didn't know whether it was a Freudian slip. :lol:

User avatar
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 6756
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:37 pm
SundayJam wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:42 am
Why? Chicken Thigh! Recently, Trump called Thailand, Thigh-land. WTF?! Following science makes sense. Get educated, Mr. Trump. In-line with Mr. EITSwarrior: get educated people of Hawaii and the rest of America.
There was a visiting professor from the UK in graduate school at UH who had been teaching in Hong Kong at the time and he said all the Aussies pronounce it as Thigh as opposed to Tai. He said he didn't know whether it was a Freudian slip. :lol:
I know a lot of Aussies. They pronounce it /tie-land/. Aussies and Thais have done a considerable amount of work together...and play each other in international competitions. Your professor must've been exposed to a few bubble-boys like Trump. It's shocking that the leader of the free world cannot honor a long-time ally by pronouncing the name correctly.

https://www.state.gov/u-s-relations-with-thailand/
OVER 200 YEARS OF FRIENDSHIP WITH AN ENDURING TREATY ALLY

*Thailand is a key U.S. security ally in Asia. Since World War II, the United States and Thailand have significantly expanded diplomatic, security, and commercial relations.

*The first documented contact between the United States and Thailand was recorded in 1818. The first agreement signed with Thailand was the 1833 Treaty of Amity and Commerce, ratified by King Rama III, the U.S. Congress, and President Van Buren.

*United States and Thailand are signatories of the 1954 Manila Pact of the former Southeast Asia Treaty Organization (SEATO), which, together with the Thanat-Rusk communiqué of 1962 and the 2012 Joint Vision Statement for the Thai-U.S. Defense Alliance, constitutes the basis of U.S. security commitments to Thailand. In 2003, the United States designated Thailand a Major Non-NATO Ally.

Post Reply