Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by My3Cats »

Clueless people. This will be the death of us all.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

A business has the right to refuse service to anyone, and to ask them to leave. Karen has no say in the matter, except that she tried vociferously, valiantly, but ultimately vainly.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ses-monday
The deputy spokeswoman said some of the new cases in Bangkok were traced back to a New Year party in Chiang Mai held between Jan 1-5.

The CCSA said a man who attended the party in the northern province was possibly a superspreader. He then travelled to Bangkok and attended the birthday party of Techin "DJ Matoom" Ploypetch on Jan 9 at the Banyan Tree Hotel in Bangkok.

The celebrity DJ and actor was later infected with the virus.

People in direct or indirect contact with the infected inter-provincial party goer are thought to have further spread the virus at another birthday party on Jan 16.

"One infected person could be a superspreader," she said.
I have not been able to work this month. Everyone must do their part. For me, work is not a labor, but the joy of helping others. I can enrich the lives of the youth. I am angry that everyone can't do their part in this global struggle. Here, we were free of this bug for many months, but with neighboring countries not following science due to economic problems...and others within, who also have economic necessities, we have a problem again. Then, when you mix in the privileged elite, and you have an even bigger problem.

I know the problem here is much less than anywhere else, but...please...just listen to the science.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

How Trump and his aides manipulated data for what I believe to be the sake of the election.
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/deborah- ... 17349.html
I kinda wish that there weren't so many people yet in government and politics continuing to manufacture lies. I guess because they can but unfortunately there are some segments of the population that still listen to the lies. How do you undo four years of the misuse of the term "fake news" that Trump created and try to discern the difference between fact and fiction.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:04 pm How Trump and his aides manipulated data for what I believe to be the sake of the election.
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/deborah- ... 17349.html
I kinda wish that there weren't so many people yet in government and politics continuing to manufacture lies. I guess because they can but unfortunately there are some segments of the population that still listen to the lies. How do you undo four years of the misuse of the term "fake news" that Trump created and try to discern the difference between fact and fiction.
Trump has manipulated the truth about everything because he has been enabled. He has manipulated data about hurricanes, trade, immigration, wall-building, and his own personal transgressions against the state. America has been damaged by the Republican party, the Tea Party, and Trumplicans. There are no two ways about it. Wake up people. Respect science, democracy, and morality. Stop living your life off of twitter feeds.

This global pandemic is not a joke. Thailand has handled the response better than most. Still, we've suffered a puncture in the bubble. As a result, our daily infections have increased to around 800 a day. A total of 76 have died to date. I cannot tell you how many elderly treasures I encounter every day. Old people are not worthless and they should not be discarded so callously.

Also, herd immunity is a farce. The new strains from Brazil, South Africa, and the UK are scary.

Merry Christmas baby and happy new year too.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam, your country made Hawaii news.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/01/ ... rus-rules/
What's interesting to me that there will be no followup on is how many of the foreigners will actually get jail terms. I hope all of them get at least a month for failing to comply.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:00 am SundayJam, your country made Hawaii news.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/01/ ... rus-rules/
What's interesting to me that there will be no followup on is how many of the foreigners will actually get jail terms. I hope all of them get at least a month for failing to comply.
I can answer that quandary for you: no one will get a jail term. Fines are common. You could call them a bribe too. There have been many police actions against Thai-only parties as well. This kind of police action is usually to harass and shame idiots. The country still has less than 80 deaths to date. No one here connects social distancing/mask wearing with politics...nor racism in regard to police action.

We're coming off of a month long semi-lock-down. I'm back to work next week. In general, the populace here respects precautions.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... d-19-cases

It's Chinese New Year.

We're down to 600 new covid cases a day with most occurring in a factory city. It's not about mandatory mask wearing...but to people everywhere just saying, "dude, put on a mask." I've got a box of around 20 masks on my desk that I draw on each day. I wash the mask that I wear each day. I'm not gonna use an N95 mask unless I'm flying.

Respect science. Do the right thing.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

This is two months old but this is the politics of the pandemic. Something I didn't know was that Regeneron was given $450M for the development of Covid-19 antibodies.

Link
*Warning as usual with Duc Vuong's videos is the swearing.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Article points out how Trump dealing with Covid-19 was more serious than it was presented by Trump.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp
Interesting discussion of Regeneron and how Trump hailed it as the cure especially in light of the company receiving $450M.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/chea ... 35900.html
Let’s get this out of the way: Impeachment trials themselves are relatively inexpensive, especially if the investigations leading to them did not involve a lot of costs. Most expenses fall into Congress’s ordinary costs of operation.
The unproven charges of election fraud, on the other hand, ran up the bills for the taxpayers. The Washington Post estimates that the costs are $519 million so far, mostly due to the need for increased security at the Capitol and other locations in Washington, D.C. Much of this cost was borne by states that deployed their National Guards to provide security for the inauguration.

Georgia did two recounts of the ballots cast in the November presidential election, one by hand. It had to pay election workers to do this, and many counties had to increase security at the counting locations and for senior election staff because of threats that had been received.
President Trump’s campaign paid for the lawyers that filed suit against different state governments. Some states were able to defend the suits with their own legal departments, but others needed to bring in experts to address some of the nuances of the cases. Pennsylvania, for example, paid $1.5 million to its outside legal team.

The riots brought to light problems with security in the Capitol. The annual budget for the Capitol Police is $515 million, an amount that now seems too small. The department had a difficult time fighting the rioters, and one police officer was killed.

The Post’s reporters were unable to get all of the costs, as many states were still tabulating them or were unable to track at the level of detail that was requested.
How exactly are Republicans reducing government?!!!