Coronavirus

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Kailuaboy »

ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

ImageImageImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

looks like our national "flattening the curve" chart is currently at our highest point ever.

source

Hawaii had a bit of a spike last week, but that chilled out over the past couple days. The current Hawaii 'hotspots' being:
96819 (Moanalua, Fort Shafter, Kalihi Valley) with 60 new cases per 100K in the last 4 weeks
96797 (Waipahu) with 54 new cases per 100K in the last 4 weeks
96750 (Kealakekua, Captain Cook) with 57 new cases per 100K in the last 4 weeks
96786 (Wahiawa, Whitmore Village, Wheeler) with 38 new cases per 100K in the last 4 weeks

source

To put these (X per 100K) numbers in layman's terms, say you're zip code is at just '50'. In the last 4 weeks, you decided to go to parties each weekend and were in reasonably close contact with 200 different people in this zip without taking any precautions.

200 x 50 / 100K = 0.1 (10%) so there's a 1-in-10 chance someone you were in close contact with someone infected.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I'll be surprised and very happy if we can keep it under 20/day for the next month. I would expect it to rise quite a bit once we open to tourists.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:47 am
SundayJam wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:38 pm
UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:40 pm

I don’t think the temperature testing is very effective. I think there could be days in the life of this virus where no abnormal temperature is exhibited

The widespread mask use helps because it means some carriers are containing their virus
Yes, but the ritual temperature test is an awareness measure. I am made aware of my own body on a daily basis and that I should be careful about the things I come into contact with. I live in an Asian hub that has regular contact with Hong Kong, Singapore, and China. A sure sign of a Chinese tourist is Thai elephant pants. During the outbreak, I couldn't tell you how many times I saw Chinese tourists in 'elephant pants' : at the mall, at my home gym, and even on the bus! I do not have any symptoms and am grateful.
I think the virus went from Asia to Europe to mainland USA to Hawaii ...
I reflected upon this story with my buddy on Maui...and he said the same thing: He had never seen so many Chinese visitors in his life. I don't think this was something insidious...just ill-timed. As I look back on my experience, I still can't remember having ever encountered that many Chinese tourists at ANY time. Well, maybe I was hyper-alert due to the overt pandemic news.

I am still constantly tested for temperature every day. I agree that this is not an effective test...just a reminder.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Irse wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:50 am
SundayJam wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:38 pm

Yes, but the ritual temperature test is an awareness measure. I am made aware of my own body on a daily basis and that I should be careful about the things I come into contact with. I live in an Asian hub that has regular contact with Hong Kong, Singapore, and China. A sure sign of a Chinese tourist is Thai elephant pants. During the outbreak, I couldn't tell you how many times I saw Chinese tourists in 'elephant pants' : at the mall, at my home gym, and even on the bus! I do not have any symptoms and am grateful.
That really helped us since our leaders seem clueless. It would be more devastating if it was the other way around.
Do you really think no Chinese tourists...or visitors from Asia...didn't bring the virus to America as well? Seriously?!!

Irse

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:24 am

That really helped us since our leaders seem clueless. It would be more devastating if it was the other way around.
Do you really think no Chinese tourists...or visitors from Asia...didn't bring the virus to America as well? Seriously?!!
So you think it came directly from Asia to Hawaii?
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Irse wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:14 am

It makes sense, doesn't it? We know now that it was a tenacious bug that didn't promote obvious symptoms right away. All the while, the bug was being spread. Back in the day, Japanese used to be the number 1 visitor to Hawaii. I can only guess that Koreans and Chinese have increased as well. I can't remember so many Europeans visiting Hawaii. Americans...making a second trip to Hawaii after vacationing in Europe...I doubt it.

Irse

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:13 pm

It makes sense, doesn't it? We know now that it was a tenacious bug that didn't promote obvious symptoms right away. All the while, the bug was being spread. Back in the day, Japanese used to be the number 1 visitor to Hawaii. I can only guess that Koreans and Chinese have increased as well. I can't remember so many Europeans visiting Hawaii. Americans...making a second trip to Hawaii after vacationing in Europe...I doubt it.
I would think that if it came directly from Asia, we would have seen it much earlier and much more severe than the east coast. Americans could have gotten if from friends or family that went to Europe or from Europeans that came to America for a vacation then the Americans came to visit Hawaii.
ImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

china was blocked from entering the US at the end of january

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Irse wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:30 am
SundayJam wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:13 pm
I would think that if it came directly from Asia, we would have seen it much earlier and much more severe than the east coast. Americans could have gotten if from friends or family that went to Europe or from Europeans that came to America for a vacation then the Americans came to visit Hawaii.
All I know is that Hawaii hosts an awful lot of Asian tourists. Asia was hit first and is the source of bug. Don't you remember that Japanese cruise ship early on? Those are typical Hawaiian tourists. Do the math. In Thailand, we diagnosed the first external spread of the virus, and yet we received very little damage. So, I think there are many factors as to why one place gets hit harder than another.

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

ImageImageImageImage