Coronavirus

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Coronavirus

Post by Kailuaboy »

Coronavirus explained: 15th US case confirmed after MWC cancelled

Case numbers jump by 15,000 in Hubei province, the epicenter of the outbreak, after new reporting methods were adopted.

By Jackson Ryan
February 14, 2020 11:43 AM PST

Robert Rodriguez/CNET

Chinese health authorities continue to battle an outbreak of a pneumonia-like illness, first detected in the central city
of Wuhan in December. The disease is caused by a novel coronavirus, officially known as SARS-CoV-2, which has now
infected over 64,000 people and claimed more than 1,380 lives. On Thursday, the CDC confirmed a 15th case in the
US under quarantine at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in Texas.

The illness was first reported to the World Health Organization on New Year's Eve and in the intervening weeks was
linked to a family of viruses known as coronaviruses, the same family responsible for the diseases SARS and MERS,
as well as some cases of the common cold. On Feb. 11, the WHO and other organizations agreed on the name
COVID-19 for the illness.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Coronavirus

Post by cabanalane »

I was at Vegas a few weeks ago. Used to get plenty of tourist from China. Get none now since they suspended all flights.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

This may affect the 2020 Tokyo Olympics more than the officials are saying. Japan will lose money in the gazillions of yen.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Last edited by Kailuaboy on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I don't quite understand the mentality of trying to buy a lot of toilet paper and stocking up on cleaning products because of the virus. Does Hawaii fear a dockworker absenteeism?

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:20 amI don't quite understand the mentality of trying to buy a lot of toilet paper and stocking up on cleaning products because of the virus. Does Hawaii fear a dockworker absenteeism?
like before hurricanes, the hoarding mentality kicks in for some, and shelves are emptied of certain things until the next boat arrives.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

ubercow wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:25 am
shrek2 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:20 amI don't quite understand the mentality of trying to buy a lot of toilet paper and stocking up on cleaning products because of the virus. Does Hawaii fear a dockworker absenteeism?
like before hurricanes, the hoarding mentality kicks in for some, and shelves are emptied of certain things until the next boat arrives.
I had my regular Costco list on the refrigerator for my once, every couple months trip to the big box. Didn't have much on it yet but Mrs Cats took it yesterday and asked me what was needed for COVID-19 preparation in case of having to self-quarantine. I just said non-perishables. There was nothing that she bought for $300+ that I would consider to be non-perishable for potential self-quarantine. She did buy toilet paper (we had plenty on-hand already), and a bunch of perishables. And she was not in the islands back when we had that initial dockworkers strike that started the toilet paper hoarding that we continue to see now. SMH. And she always scolds me for buying too much in bulk (canned goods). SMH2. And she bought a case of bottle water - like the tap and our pitcher filter won't do. SMH3.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I hope there is TP left. Needed some because we're low. I never stock up of anything, even during hurricaine season. Sure ain't going to do it for this. Another view on the virus.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWY0oZV ... _TaGU9S7uQ[/youtube]
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:53 am I hope there is TP left. Needed some because we're low. I never stock up of anything, even during hurricane season. Sure ain't going to do it for this. Another view on the virus.

Meanwhile, 24 days after this YouTube posting, there are now 82,000+ cases of coronavirus.
As of 27 February 2020, 82,791 cases have been confirmed, including in all provinces of China and more than fifty other countries.[9] Of these, 8,469 cases were classified as serious.[10] There have been 2,858 deaths attributable to the disease, including 80 outside mainland China,[4] surpassing that of the 2003 SARS outbreak.[11] More than 32,000 people have since recovered.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_c ... s_outbreak
Dr. Drew may have spoken too soon. Meanwhile the DOW has dropped 3,000 points this week. Hmmm, hysteria or valid concerns.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Funny thing my Aunt was adamant about getting bottled water. I’m like “what you need bottled water for? Coronavirus isn’t going to knock out power.”

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:30 pm
Irse wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:53 am I hope there is TP left. Needed some because we're low. I never stock up of anything, even during hurricane season. Sure ain't going to do it for this. Another view on the virus.

Meanwhile, 24 days after this YouTube posting, there are now 82,000+ cases of coronavirus.
As of 27 February 2020, 82,791 cases have been confirmed, including in all provinces of China and more than fifty other countries.[9] Of these, 8,469 cases were classified as serious.[10] There have been 2,858 deaths attributable to the disease, including 80 outside mainland China,[4] surpassing that of the 2003 SARS outbreak.[11] More than 32,000 people have since recovered.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_c ... s_outbreak
Dr. Drew may have spoken too soon. Meanwhile the DOW has dropped 3,000 points this week. Hmmm, hysteria or valid concerns.
What's the fatality rates in the US? May be a little more than the flu. the flu has killed a lot more, but we're not so worried about that.
ImageImage