Coronavirus

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Coronavirus

Post by shrek2 »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:29 am
shrek2 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:53 am Germany has a very low rate of deaths for those stricken with the coronavirus.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ge ... d=primedhp
Germany has a special place in my heart because I loved the people when I was there and I spent some time in a German hospital because of an injury. They have socialized medicine. The article doesn't really do justice to explaining how culture has an effect on dealing with crisis like the coronavirus.
Maybe it because they start drinking beer at ten years old.
I've lived across the US and I've found the Germans to be more CIVILized than Americans. I never saw road rage, civil disobedience, police brutality or serious altercations and no reading of gun violence. Kids are allowed to drink drakma which is a combination of coke and beer at age 15 at the bars. Although people enjoy going out for a beer, its more for companionship and comradery and I rarely saw people staggering out of a pub or a fight at a bar. People didn't drink to get drunk. The food there does not have a lot of additives as there is in the US. Most of the food is fresh. They also didn't allow bratwurst from Turkey because it didn't have adequate meat content. They wouldn't accept US beef because of the chemicals being injected in the cows. If people watched "Supersize Me" which was an HBO special, they changed the diet of kids living in Wisconsin at a detention center of eating canned goods (lots of preservatives) to fresh food and they found that kids exhibited better behavior. Eat healthy and it not only affects the ability to fight diseases but it also may help in positive behavior. BTW, the beer and wine also does not have the sulfates to prolong it's life except for the beer that's shipped overseas.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

New FDA approved 5 minute coronavirus tester developed by Abbot Labs. Game changer.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-gam ... d=primentp

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

29 more cases reported today. Total as of 3/28, noon is 151.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:41 am My very simpleton understanding of exponential is ... 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256

Right now we are seeing something like ... 12, 18, 8, 14 ...

Ok, so 29 today ... I am praying this is not an exponential pattern

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:41 am My very simpleton understanding of exponential is ... 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256

Thousands have been tested. I think we might avoid a catastrophe. The next couple weeks will tell us if this thing gains momentum.

This doesn’t make it easier for the dozens or perhaps hundreds that will likely get this in their lungs. This is some nasty craap if your body fails to reject it.
The exponential growth rate that the epidemiologists are concerned about is how often the total cases doubles. From what I've read, it's bad if it's in a 2 to 4 day cycle and continues at that rate.

Starting in mid-March the doubling rate in Hawaii was 2 days. Then it goes to 3 days, 4 days and now is nearing 5 days. We need this trend to continue and it takes longer and longer to double the cases. Eventually the numbers each day will start going down if the lockdown and quarantine are working.

But a big concern is that testing only started ramping up recently and it's taking long to get results in some cases. We could start seeing more big increases like the 29 today with more test results coming in.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

uhwarriors wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:24 pm

Thousands have been tested. I think we might avoid a catastrophe. The next couple weeks will tell us if this thing gains momentum.

This doesn’t make it easier for the dozens or perhaps hundreds that will likely get this in their lungs. This is some nasty craap if your body fails to reject it.
The exponential growth rate that the epidemiologists are concerned about is how often the total cases doubles. From what I've read, it's bad if it's in a 2 to 4 day cycle and continues at that rate.

Starting in mid-March the doubling rate in Hawaii was 2 days. Then it goes to 3 days, 4 days and now is nearing 5 days. We need this trend to continue and it takes longer and longer to double the cases. Eventually the numbers each day will start going down if the lockdown and quarantine are working.

But a big concern is that testing only started ramping up recently and it's taking long to get results in some cases. We could start seeing more big increases like the 29 today with more test results coming in.

Thanks, that helps. I am no scientist ... had to get a BA instead of a BS. :D I do think we throw out the doubling at the beginning because the sample size is too small. So it seems we are near the beginning of the useful part of the graph. So maybe we look from March 15 forward?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Dr. Fauci says that number of deaths in the US may get up to 200,000.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u-s-c ... d=primentp
A slide show in the news article shows the World Health Org (WHO) donating 250,000 masks to NYC. I follow the JHU (John Hopkins University) coronavirus map and noticed that the NY outbreak is growing a lot faster than any other state.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:12 am .... BTW, the beer and wine also does not have the sulfates to prolong it's life except for the beer that's shipped overseas.
I have had some smelly German beer.

I agree with you on eating unprocessed food.

From an anthropological or social science perspective, I also like learning about cultures or people’s that excel at things. I am impressed by the quality of life Mormons seem to be able to live even though I am not interested in joining their religion. I think as the world becomes smaller we should incorporate the best of different cultures in our lives. In some ways, we do that in Hawaii.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

24 new confirmed cases in Hawaii. Total is now 175 as of noon, 3/29. Will be using the KHON graph now rather than my own.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/hawai ... recovered/

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

I still see the cup as half full. If we get 20 or 30 a day that is a far cry from new cases in the hundreds. Still hoping our warm weather and tourism shut down causes this thing to have an early demise. The rest of the country is in bad shape. Scary.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

uhwarriors wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:16 pm 24 new confirmed cases in Hawaii. Total is now 175 as of noon, 3/29. Will be using the KHON graph now rather than my own.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/hawai ... recovered/
Nice graph. One good news is that there was no new hospitalizations. Hope it stays that way.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Song I heard on KNBR Sports Talk radio show in the Bay Area. Emphasizes the need to isolate. May be offensive to some because of swearing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTODB54JalU

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Jack Johnson did a #TogetherAtHome concert in Support of the World Health Organization and globalcitizen yesterday on his IG. It freezes up around the 4 minute mark due to technical difficulties, skip ahead a minute or so at that point and it continues on. Pretty nice, I'm listening to this while working from home right now

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-VQOFCHxAW/

-
it gets a little choppy at times during the vid. here's a link for other artists doing concerts for globalcitizen: https://www.youtube.com/user/GlobalPove ... ect/videos

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

ImageImageImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

29 new cases as of 3/30/20 for a total of 204 cases. KHON hasn't put up their graph yet. This is my graph. I'll change it out later when KHON posts their's.