Two officers dead after shooting at Diamond Head

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Two officers dead after shooting at Diamond Head

Post by Irse »

Plus fires caused by some crazy guy

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/01/ ... d8a69d8da3

My condolences to the officers family and friends and prayers for the people who lost their homes to the fire.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Two officers dead after shooting at Diamond Head

Post by My3Cats »

Ditto on the above.

How do you deal with wackos? Law and courts are on their side until tragedies like this occur.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Irse

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:09 am Ditto on the above.

How do you deal with wackos? Law and courts are on their side until tragedies like this occur.
Can't really deal with them. Heard that he was terrorizing the neighbors. I couldn't imagine living next to someone like that.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

The landlord had to have done a background check. I kind of wonder if he's one of these crazies coming out of the woodwork from these old missionary families that refused to integrate with the Hawaiians and thus became a product of incest.

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:57 pm The landlord had to have done a background check. I kind of wonder if he's one of these crazies coming out of the woodwork from these old missionary families that refused to integrate with the Hawaiians and thus became a product of incest.
Just heard on the news that he's from the Czech Republic. Needs an interpreter
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:35 pm
shrek2 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:57 pm The landlord had to have done a background check. I kind of wonder if he's one of these crazies coming out of the woodwork from these old missionary families that refused to integrate with the Hawaiians and thus became a product of incest.
Just heard on the news that he's from the Czech Republic. Needs an interpreter
So what is it with this gun mentality in the US? I lived in Europe for 3 years and there was no gun violence that I saw in the news. There used to be more guns in Switzerland per capita than in the US because if you were in the military to got to keep your rifle. Maybe US history only consists of these fake movies of cowboys and the law of the "west." Sorry this is OT but I hate to read about gun violence in my home state where guns were non-existent at one time.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I thought Hawaii had the toughest gun control laws in the country. Have things changed? I simply see no need for guns in this day and age.

Irse

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:18 am I thought Hawaii had the toughest gun control laws in the country. Have things changed? I simply see no need for guns in this day and age.
He wasn't supposed to be in possession of a gun.

When criminals can have guns (illegally), some people feel the need to protect themselves. Personally, I hate guns but other may feel different.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

News reports said that he was not a registered gun owner. But everyone said that he was a mental case.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I wonder how can he afford to live near Diamond Head? Ok, he was suppose to be evicted. But he lived there for 15 years IIRC. Even if it was just renting a room, how did he afford that?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Irse wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:34 am
SundayJam wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:18 am I thought Hawaii had the toughest gun control laws in the country. Have things changed? I simply see no need for guns in this day and age.
He wasn't supposed to be in possession of a gun.

When criminals can have guns (illegally), some people feel the need to protect themselves. Personally, I hate guns but other may feel different.
This may not be in this case, but the biggest seller of guns now are not guns. They are the gun kits. I don't know the details, but it's like 3 different parts. You snap that together, and you have a gun.

It's like how Servco used to import Toyota trucks from Japan. The trucks would come in Honolulu without rear bumpers. So it's not a complete DOT legal truck. Servco attached the bumper, now it's a road legal truck. This is to avoid the 25% "chicken tax."

Anyhow, the kits are just parts, so you don't need license or registration to buy it. A 3 year old can snap that together. The company said, owners are suppose to register it once it becomes a working gun. So it's on the owners. There is no real enforcement or follow up. That's why gun violence has been going up. No stats, just going by what I read. Gangs and kids can get guns easy. Many of these type "guns" fall into this category.

The traditional gun owners are doing their thing and following the laws. And you have this that fill in all the loop holes, and give legit gun owners a bad name.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

This was just a case of an individual not fully understanding the liability of having guns in the house. The homeowner Lois Cain stored her deceased husband's guns under her bed with this crazy guy as a tenant. She should have turned the guns over to police to have them destroyed when her husband died 10 years ago.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/01/ ... iend-says/
I think that guns used in crimes that are not reported stolen should carry a liability that allows the law to prosecute the legal gun owner.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:10 pm
I think that guns used in crimes that are not reported stolen should carry a liability that allows the law to prosecute the legal gun owner.
I like this idea.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:13 am
shrek2 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:10 pm
I like this idea.
You know, sometimes I think the HSA follows some of the posts in here and it becomes their news. There is a US right to sue but its a blue sky law that has to be enacted in each state to make it a law to outlaw gun owners because their weapons were used in a crime.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/01/ ... 52f8b70782

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:02 am I wonder how can he afford to live near Diamond Head? Ok, he was suppose to be evicted. But he lived there for 15 years IIRC. Even if it was just renting a room, how did he afford that?
Landlady let him live in the basement for free in exchange for doing some maintenance around the house. Friends and neighbors said that she had a big heart and that she let other people stay in the house for free as well.