Do you like buildings in Honolulu?

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Do you like buildings in Honolulu?

Post by cabanalane »

I also visit another Group on FB, where they remember Oahu from the past. Often times, people would post pics of Honolulu (Waikiki) from the 1930s, where there wasn't much buildings or constructions. Many would comment "I wish we can go back to that...."

I kind of like "buildings" in Honolulu. Before anyone get the wrong idea, I mean buildings like from the 1970s-80s-90s. I think it was done "right" back then. Recall the "Honolulu City Lights" song. There is a beauty to the lights and skyline. I recall looking out from Tantalus at night into the city.

Anyone with me on this? Where progress and buildings were done "right" back then. Or would you prefer an Oahu that's Pre-Statehood? I'm not saying to keep the old Alexander Young building. Pauahi Tower on Bishop was cool.

I do agree the recent builds really made things ugly. I saw a photo of Ala Moana area that my sister took. I'm sadden I can't see the mountains anymore from where I used to fish. So I get how some residences feel.

Maybe cause this is the time I grew up. I wonder how kids or younger adults feel today. They never know anything else.

I remember catching the elevators of the Ilikai. That was an experience.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Do you like buildings in Honolulu?

Post by Irse »

I don't really like how they're building up Kakaako. Too many high rises.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I'd rather prefer that they keep building high rise towers in Kakaako and Ala Moana area. Keep the city congestion in the city. Don't want to ever see monster houses in Mililani either.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:26 pm I'd rather prefer that they keep building high rise towers in Kakaako and Ala Moana area. Keep the city congestion in the city. Don't want to ever see monster houses in Mililani either.
You won't. The Mililani Association is pretty strict.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Irse wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:59 pm
My3Cats wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:26 pm I'd rather prefer that they keep building high rise towers in Kakaako and Ala Moana area. Keep the city congestion in the city. Don't want to ever see monster houses in Mililani either.
You won't. The Mililani Association is pretty strict.
Tell me about it. I had some lumber that I was storing in the back of my carport to keep it out of the rain and the landscape police had them send a warning letter that if I didn't clean it up within 30 days that I would get fined.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I think they’re fine, but I would like to see at least one building go above the established height limit to give city skyline a, for a lack of a better term, an “exclamation point”.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

if Honolulu looked exactly the same as it did 30 years ago, to me that would be a huge red flag that the state is in trouble. it means everything is just 30 years older wear-and-tear wise, and in all that time, there wasn't anyone making enough money here, or anyone who saw enough of a future here to invest anything on infrastructure. if Hawaii had centuries of history and architecture to maintain (like say, paris, kyoto, etc.) then by all means keep the neighborhoods looking the same.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Thanks for sharing. Make sense. Glad to hear a different perspective.