Lomi Lomi Salmon

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Lomi Lomi Salmon

Post by cabanalane »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Fish and poi. Sweet potatoes. Dog. Thank goodness for the influx of immigrants and their cuisines!
Can any of you recall if something "new" has become a part of Hawaii's local cuisine since the last (I don't know, pick your decades) in the last 50 years? Poke bowl, but that's a different presentation of the same thing. Have any new immigrant groups brought their foods to Hawaii, and is now part of the local culture?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:57 am
My3Cats wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Fish and poi. Sweet potatoes. Dog. Thank goodness for the influx of immigrants and their cuisines!
Can any of you recall if something "new" has become a part of Hawaii's local cuisine since the last (I don't know, pick your decades) in the last 50 years? Poke bowl, but that's a different presentation of the same thing. Have any new immigrant groups brought their foods to Hawaii, and is now part of the local culture?
Actually, almost everything.

Teri beef/chicken, chicken katsu, chili (i.e. Zippy's), "plate lunch", malasadas, chicken/pork adobo, macaroni salad, all kine manapua. You name it.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:46 am
dakineguy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:20 pm If you can get raw salmon then you can just pack it in salt for a few days. I would probably freeze it for a couple days though to make sure no mo worms.
Worms. Ewww. That's why I seriously cut back on how much and how often I eat poke and sashimi now days. Fish really needs to be cooked, or in the case of dakineguy's suggestion, frozen.
Well it's freshwater fish you need to worry about mostly but to be safe you can freeze the raw fish for a couple days then thaw and make salt salmon without worry of worms seeing as salmon is partly in fresh water. You aren't going to get worms from raw ahi
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

uhwarriors wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:59 pm I've often wondered the same thing about how lomi lomi salmon became part of Hawaiian food. My guess is that it replaced some other kind of fish when salmon was introduced to Hawaii.
It's very likely that there was trade or payment with salted salmon from the sailing ships
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

You guys ever feel cheated when you order chicken long rice and all you get is watered down chicken?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:59 pm You guys ever feel cheated when you order chicken long rice and all you get is watered down chicken?
Yup. More like soup than chicken long rice.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I think if you soak the salmon in brine and bake it for a short time, you'll have pretty good salt salmon like they have in stores. One of the dorms I used to stay at used to serve lox, onions, tomato and bagels on Sunday brunch so this mix of lomi salmon is not foreign to a lot of the tourists. I miss my finadene though from time to time. Hard to find da kine small chili peppers here on the mainland.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

The $54 question is does anybody know which Hawaiian food does Al Michaels like to refer to in his national broadcast? Al Michaels worked in Hawaii before going national. Hint, its not kulolo.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:02 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:59 pm You guys ever feel cheated when you order chicken long rice and all you get is watered down chicken?
I don't know how many OG Chinese Po Po are still alive. If your friend's grandma is still alive, have her make you some.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:11 am
My3Cats wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:02 pm
I don't know how many OG Chinese Po Po are still alive. If your friend's grandma is still alive, have her make you some.
If you make your own, its all good but when you go to these festivals where they have Hawaiian plate, the noodles are always over cooked and the lomi is always watered down.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yup, it's like they need to way undercook the long rice, in anticipation, that it will sit. I normally try not to get that at the festivals, and only get stuff I can't find locally in my city (on the mainland), like Lau Lau. It's impossible to find taro leaves. Yeah, I know you can substitute with banana leaves, etc, but not the same. And even that, the banana leaves are old, cause there's not the same kind of turnover in inventory.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I never tried substituting banana leaves for taro leaves. I would imagine spinach leaves might make a better substitute for taro leaves.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yes, spinach leaves are a good alternative, but spinach kind of disappear if you cook them too long, and then you get the spinach taste. It's ok, that's not a bad thing. But for me, I actually like that taro leave soaked in the juices of the meats, and the way it covers up the meat and when you sample both, together at the same time in your mouth.

Banana leaf provide the wrapping, but it does not give it that "taro" leaf flavor. I'm far from being an expert, just like to eat, that's all.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Didn't know that anyone actually ate the banana leaves. Used for wrapping and cooking in, but not eating. Not tough and stringy?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Banana leaves are good when making kalua pig. You wash the leaves and cover the pig then put the wet burlap over the banana leaves before covering up the pig. I miss those days. Nowadays, I gotta use liquid smoke on a pork butt to get something close.