Books on Hawaiian History

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Books on Hawaiian History

Post by cabanalane »

There was a good Hawaiian history text book we used back in the 7th grade. It was public school DOE approved. I believe there were several printings and updates, but this was back in the late 1970s. The hardcover was tan and maybe about 1" thick.

Any chance you recall the title or publishing details? I know that book is old, and etc, but really enjoyed reading that book - when you consider most kids no like read. Some of you old-times may recall this book if you went to public school.

Anyhow, I doubt I can find a copy today.

So I'm asking for recommendations on a good "Hawaii History" book. Basically, I'm looking for from the beginning when the Polynesians arrived, till maybe modern times, post statehood.

I'm asking for recommendations because I glanced at some that are "too political." I just want basic history, events, dates, happenings, and not have the author add his/her "agenda." On the flip side, there are some books that are bland, stiff, and therefore boring. I hope that make sense. Maybe a good balance of both.

If you know of a good Hawaiian History book, please recommend.

Mahalo.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Books on Hawaiian History

Post by My3Cats »

That's a good question. I don't remember any books from my hanabata days at all.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Michener used to do a lot of research for his books so if you can deal with the first 350 pages, "Hawaii" has a lot of fact mixed in with fiction like Jefferson School being the English language standard school whereas it really was Roosevelt. His book goes up to 1951. Then there's Fuch's book "Hawaii Pono" which goes up to 1964 which is a sociological perspective. These are the only ones other than the ones they gave you in school. There are probably some newer perspectives on Hawaiian history but some of what might be lost is the stories that were passed down like the guy in Punaluu in Fuch's book. I don't know what they consider history these days because if you look at the US, the pilgrims arrived it was 1620 so US history is only 399 years old although the slaves arrived in 1619. It all depends on who decides when history started and how they want to present it.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

It is said that history is written by the victors. But no one can find any attributable quotes by anyone to verify that.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

google found "A History of Hawaii Student Book " by Linda K Menton
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller