Are you planning to leave Hawaii?

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Are you planning to leave Hawaii?

Post by cabanalane »

I left Hawaii with about $1,200 to my name and a one way ticket. In some ways, I had to. That was 20+ yeas ago.

I have two long time friends that have decided to leave Hawaii this/last year, but they are loaded with old money. I'm guessing several million. That may not mean much in Hawaii with the price of real estate, but still, you get my example. They kind of had "enough" of everything. Again, these are not struggling people. So money, cost of living, etc is not it.

Anyhow, just want to know if there are people in Hawaii that would say "NO, I'm not leaving Hawaii."

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Are you planning to leave Hawaii?

Post by Irse »

Not planning on it.
ImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

nope. can't think of a place i'd rather be

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Still here. As long as our parents are still alive especially. They took care of me and the wife when we were little and we intend to care for them as they continue to age.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Lots of reason to stay in Hawaii as its rated the "happiest state." People are happy to see you and for the most part you always have some place to go during the special holidays even if you don't go. There's always the feeling of acceptance.
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/02/28 ... tive-year/
But lots of people leave for financial reasons primarily. There was a recent story about a teacher leaving for Utah but felt she could afford it better with her kids and the same pay.
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3712 ... exception/
Personally, I know of a doctor and dentist that made their practice in California but still go back on a frequent basis; for the dentist its four or more times a year. Barrack goes back every year at least at Christmas time. He's not in DC celebrating with friends there. Aloha? I don't know but it certainly holds a certain charm.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Not planning to and don’t want to. But leaving is something that has been on my mind for awhile.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

nope, not leaving ever
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

I'll probably be leaving at the beginning of 2020. My wife is from central Cali, so that's more than likely where we're headed to. At first, I was totally against it, but as I continued to visit Cali, saw the home prices compared to here, and the quality of schooling, I gave in to the move.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

One time, I was at the gas station, and one guy came up to me and asked if I was from Hawaii. I don't know how he can tell. He was from Hawaii too. We were like lost brothers and chatted for a while, like we were telling each other our life stories in the 3 minutes. His wife used to live in Aiea (too at the time).

Anyhow, I love to meet local guys, but at the same time, sad, that they have to leave. So who is in Hawaii now? Why would I even "dream" of going back? I don't know anyone, anymore...

Funny thing, when I left, I thought "My Hawaii" would be there (here) when I return. But My Hawaii is gone. Hawaii is not my place anymore.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Hawaii is where the heart and mind are, no matter where the body is located.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:01 am One time, I was at the gas station, and one guy came up to me and asked if I was from Hawaii. I don't know how he can tell. He was from Hawaii too. We were like lost brothers and chatted for a while, like we were telling each other our life stories in the 3 minutes. His wife used to live in Aiea (too at the time).

Anyhow, I love to meet local guys, but at the same time, sad, that they have to leave. So who is in Hawaii now? Why would I even "dream" of going back? I don't know anyone, anymore...

Funny thing, when I left, I thought "My Hawaii" would be there (here) when I return. But My Hawaii is gone. Hawaii is not my place anymore.
One thing about Hawaii is that the people are more accepting than most other places. It sounds like the tailgate sessions at Aloha stadium would be a blast with the announcements every week. I used to go to a Hawaiian pub in San Francisco and my friend and I would have beers before us as soon as we sat down bought by another patron from Hawaii but a stranger. Of course we never let him get away without reciprocating. Then around Palo Alto, another patron and I didn't know each other but knew we were both from Hawaii and it was another round of who was going to buy the most beers for the other. Then in Hayward some guy working for Parks and Recreation asked me if I was from Hawaii and we talk story for a while. There will always be cliqués in Hawaii but there's a lot more of those accepting of others than any other place in the world spreading their Aloha.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Since we are UH fans, I'll share this story. I used to live in the bay area in the 90s (Fremont). Hekoti Fakava used to be a Deputy at East Palo Alto. I went to Moanalua for 6 months and he was in my PE class. I first saw this "Hawaiian" looking guy, super thick, and far away couldn't think where I seen him. And it was Fakava. Our path never cross during at UH, so it was a surprise.

RIP.