Travel/Food Blog

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Travel/Food Blog

Post by My3Cats »

Was ono for Hayashi Rice after all of these exchanges here. We had half a block of the S&B roux so I had to resort to making the rest from scratch to create enough for two and leftovers a couple of nights ago. Made the mistake of not putting enough Worcestershire sauce the first time. Made up for it with last night's leftovers and put a lot more Worcestershire sauce and that was much better.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Kailuaboy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:14 pm Cool, excellent writing man. Maybe later on could you add some video too?

I love watching the Travel Channel - especially the various programs by Andrew Zimmern.
It would be cool if you add a short video showing you enjoying the food you're writing about. :thumbup:
Yes I want to see you making faces like the Samurai Gourmet

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Freddie20
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Freddie20 »

Great job! Don't give up on it and keep improving. Seems like more and more people are interested in such content. :)

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Cool stuff! It's so hard to keep up with a food blog and I respect everyone who can do it.

I was about to start a nice side gig food blogging but the pandemic had other plans. I had a couple projects in the works, but they got shelved when the focus of my editors had to shift to helping local restaurants survive (and rightly so).

Here's my one piece that got published:
https://www.honolulumagazine.com/heres- ... -so-good/

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Good stuff poidog. Gives me a new appreciation for the simplicity of saimin.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

poidog wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:05 am Cool stuff! It's so hard to keep up with a food blog and I respect everyone who can do it.

I was about to start a nice side gig food blogging but the pandemic had other plans. I had a couple projects in the works, but they got shelved when the focus of my editors had to shift to helping local restaurants survive (and rightly so).

Here's my one piece that got published:
https://www.honolulumagazine.com/heres- ... s-so-good/
nice article. I personally think the love for saimin in Hawaii is very much based in nostalgia, and there is nothing wrong with that. maybe a month ago, I told my friend who was back on Oahu from the mainland to go try papa kurts in moiliili. I said that you'll probably dig it, but your wife (who's not from Hawaii) will probably think, "this is okay" and won't get the same kind of satisfaction from this as you would.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

ubercow wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:41 am nice article. I personally think the love for saimin in Hawaii is very much based in nostalgia, and there is nothing wrong with that. maybe a month ago, I told my friend who was back on Oahu from the mainland to go try papa kurts in moiliili. I said that you'll probably dig it, but your wife (who's not from Hawaii) will probably think, "this is okay" and won't get the same kind of satisfaction from this as you would.
Thanks!

To me, people here like saimin because it fits the local flavor palate well. we like a lot of simple, salty things that people from elsewhere don't understand or don't appreciate as much as we do. Chicken long rice is a good example. i don't think that i'll ever be able to travel and explore other cuisines (keep up the good work!), so perhaps I need to spend time on gaining a deeper understanding of why locals like what we like. I guess I know what my next piece should be about!

HiroariTillWhen
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HiroariTillWhen »

I've managed to get ahold of S&B curry roux recently (something that's easy to do in Hawaii, less so in France, even if the country is borderline obsessed with everything Japanese) and it's really a game changer when it comes to eating rice! It made me want to look for recipes from Japanese people as to how to do Japanese-style curry at home... only to learn that most of them just buy the ready-made thing and throw it in their rice.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

HiroariTillWhen wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:44 am I've managed to get ahold of S&B curry roux recently (something that's easy to do in Hawaii, less so in France, even if the country is borderline obsessed with everything Japanese) and it's really a game changer when it comes to eating rice! It made me want to look for recipes from Japanese people as to how to do Japanese-style curry at home... only to learn that most of them just buy the ready-made thing and throw it in their rice.
Correct. Curry is really an export to Japan. Curry-rice is as Japanese as Omu-rice. They're more of a fast food culture than traditional Japanese cooking...even if it is pervasive.

sevarino3
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by sevarino3 »

there are some awesome youtube channels of reg people doing amazing stuff like Mark Wiens thai guy born in texas. great content!

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

:hello1:

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

ubercow wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:56 pm Might try to get a blog post out about Lahaina Noon in the next couple weeks.
LOL, took almost a year to finish that Lahaina Noon post I wanted to write. (not food related)
Lāhainā Noon and Sky Gate by Isamu Noguchi

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Let's return to the culinary origin of this thread.

Link

I absolutely hate the way Asian cooking has been berated by all the British celebrity chefs. While I don't think Uncle Roger is all that, he has a point.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Nigel Ng (aka Uncle Roger) is hilarious.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Link

Steve Smith did a fantastic job filling in at the Vikings food service.