Grumman F-14 Tomcat

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Grumman F-14 Tomcat

Post by Kailuaboy »

Elite F-14 Flight Officer Explains Why The Tomcat Was So Influential

Tyler Rogoway
7/24/14 12:00pm

We sat at the end of the runway, our F-14's GE-110 motors humming, awaiting our clearance to begin what would be the last F-14 Demonstration ever.
The Air Boss's voice crackled over the radio: "Tomcat Demo, you're cleared to five miles and 15k feet. The air show box is yours" At that very moment,
I distinctly remember what my Commanding Officer told us before the show: "Fellas, make it a memorable one… just not too memorable!"

LCDR Joe "Smokin" Ruzicka was the Radar Intercept Officer (RIO) to fly the last F-14 Demonstration before the Tomcat's final demise in 2006.
Commander Ruzicka took the time to sit down with Foxtrot Alpha to talk Tomcats and share his amazing experiences and lasting impressions of being
part of one of the most competitive, demanding and rewarding cultures in American history- the F-14 Tomcat community.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Grumman F-14 Tomcat

Post by Kailuaboy »

Watch This F-14 Tomcat Spin Out of Control

On purpose.

By Kyle Mizokami
August 15, 2017

The legendary Grumman F-14 Tomcat is widely considered the best fleet air superiority fighter the U.S. Navy ever
put to sea. But the Navy wasn't the only one to fly F-14s, NASA had two of the formidable fighters too, and together
the planes helped provide valuable flight test research that helped fix a dangerous problem vexing the Tomcat fleet.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

F14 is rank (still #1) in my book. And that was before the movie TopGun came out.

There will be those who say it's not the fastest and not "the best" and they are probably right. Like cars. Sometimes the most badass car is not the one with the highest top speed or the fastest. They are just badass. Of course, that's subjective.

BTW, #2 fighter plane in my book is F4 Phantom.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The Fokker DR.I (dreidecker or triplane) and the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog) are my favorites.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

America's F-14 Tomcat Was Retired Years Ago. But She Still Flies for Iran.

Five decades in, Iran’s F-14s are only getting better and better. And more and more important to the Persian state’s defense.

By David Axe
August 8, 2018

Whether it’s producing parts itself or acquiring them abroad, Iran is clearly succeeding in its efforts to supply its F-14 squadrons.
In October 2013, Taghvaee estimated that more than 40 of Tehran’s surviving F-14s were in flyable condition, possibly the highest
number since the mid-1970s. Iran has begun upgrading the Tomcats with new radar components, radios, navigation systems and
wiring while also adding compatibility with R-73 and Hawk missiles.

On April 9, 1972, Iraq and the Soviet Union signed an historic agreement. The USSR committed to arming the Arab republic with
the latest weaponry. In return for sending Baghdad guns, tanks and jet fighters, Moscow got just one thing — influence … in a
region that held most of the world’s accessible oil.

In neighboring Iran, news of Iraq’s alliance with the Soviets exploded like a bomb. Ethnically Persian and predominately Shia, Iran
was — and still is — a bitter rival of Iraq’s Sunni Arab establishment, which during the 1970s dominated the country’s politics.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage