R.I.P. Mr. Spock

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
Hoopwaiian
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: s.f. giants
NBA: ALL
NFL: s.f. 49ers

Re: R.I.P. Mr. Spock

Post by Hoopwaiian »

He got beamed up with Scotty. Watched a lot as a kid.

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Remembering Leonard Nimoy on his birthday: Spock’s legacy lives long, and we prosper

Steve Hockensmith
March 26, 2015

Leonard Nimoy, who died last month from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, would have celebrated his 84th birthday Thursday. The beloved actor is best known for playing the iconic “Star Trek” character Mr. Spock. Author Steve Hockensmith examines Nimoy’s legacy in a guest essay for Hero Complex.

He was Spock — even if, as obituary after obituary recently reminded us, he once tried to deny it.

Fortunately, Leonard Nimoy seemed to have made his peace with the character that largely defined his career. When he passed away in late February at the age of 83, Nimoy was a sort of benevolent father figure to the flourishing nerd culture he helped create.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Apple Building ‘Live Long and Prosper’ Spock Emoji

Daniel Bean
April 6, 2015

“I have noted that the healthy release of emotion is frequently very unhealthy for those closest to you.” – Mr. Spock

Ignoring the often sage advice of the great Enterprise science officer, Apple is working on a new Spock-inspired emoji for you to express yourself via mobile devices and computers.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Spock Documentary Sets $600,000 Kickstarter Campaign

Dave McNary
Film Reporter
JUNE 3, 2015

Three months after the death of Leonard Nimoy, his son Adam Nimoy is launching a Kickstarter campaign to raise
$600,000 for a documentary about his father titled “For the Love of Spock,” Variety has learned exclusively.

The project is aimed at celebrating the 50th anniversary of “Star Trek,” which aired for the first time on Sept. 8, 1966.
Zachary Quinto, who portrayed the Spock character in last two “Star Trek” films, will narrate the film. David Zappone,
the owner and president of Paramount-based 455 Films, will produce.

“The funding of this film through Kickstarter will enable us to continue with production — which will mostly take the form
of filming interviews of dad’s friends, colleagues and family members,” Adam Nimoy said. “It will also enable us to license
the hundreds of film clips and still photographs of Mr. Spock as he has appeared on television and in feature films over the
last 50 years.”

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

William Shatner Crowdsources Touching Leonard Nimoy Tribute

Tom Butler

William Shatner may not have been able to attend Leonard Nimoy’s funeral (he was
out of town at a charity function), but that didn’t stop the original Captain Kirk from
paying tribute to his old friend in the most amazing fashion.

The former ‘Star Trek’ actor cryptically put out a request for “Live Long and Prosper”
selfies to his 2.2m Twitter followers at the start of August, saying: “I need everyone’s
help. Take a selfie of you doing the LLAP sign and email the photo to
NIMOYTribute@gmail.com”.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

A Nimoy back on the bridge: Cruising the con with Mr. Spock's Son

By Jordan Hoffman
August 12, 2015

Adam Nimoy said because of all the time he spent on the “Star Trek” set as a boy, he felt right at home in a mockup of the Enterprise at a Las Vegas convention.
(455 Films / For The Love Of Spock)

Whirrs, bloops and pings greet visitors inside a darkened non-nondescript, corporate-friendly ballroom. Half hotel, half life-sized reproduction
of the famous bridge of the NCC-1701, this is Starfleet's flagship Constitution Class vessel of exploration, the Enterprise.

"This really feels like coming home," Adam Nimoy says with a laugh as we're granted permission to take a stroll where few fans have gone before.

I'm in Las Vegas with Adam Nimoy at the first official "Star Trek" convention since his father, Leonard Nimoy, died in February. Gatherings that his
father referred to as "victory laps." It's been more than five months since the 83-year-old's passing, and while there was a cloud of melancholy, fans
were ready for what the convention was dubbing a "celebration of life" in the renamed Leonard Nimoy Theater.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

The 'Star Trek Beyond' Cast Pay Tribute to Leonard Nimoy

Jordan Zakarin
August 25, 2015

Link

In the latest message beamed from the Star Trek Beyond set, the new Mr. Spock honors the original Vulcan superstar.

Zachary Quinto takes center stage in the third charity video cut by the film’s cast, fondly remembering the late Leonard Nimoy
and asking fans to honor his memory by donating to their fundraising initiative. The campaign, being run through Omaze, is called
“Star Trek: To Boldly Go,” and will ultimately help out nine different causes. The lucky beneficiary this week is the St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

What the set of the original 'Star Trek' series was like 49 years ago

By MEREDITH WOERNER
September 8, 2015

Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock in the "Star Trek" episode "Charlie X." The second episode of Season 1 first aired Sept. 15, 1966. (CBS Photo Archive)

Editor's note: The first episode of "Star Trek" premiered today ( Sept. 8 ) on NBC in 1966. The L.A. Times was there 49 years ago on the
bridge of the Enterprise interviewing show creator Gene Roddenberry and taking in the "spectacular" set.

Not sure what to make of this highly ambitious sci-fi series, L.A. Times staff writer Don Page seemed impressed with the look but skeptical
of the series' potential longevity, writing: "If the show happens to fail on television, they could easily turn the set into a tourist attraction."

Below we've republished Page's article, originally titled "Star Trek is Costly Sci Fi Epic," from Sept. 21, 1966. It's a quick behind-the-scenes
glimpse of a series that would live on and inspire television spinoffs for decades.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Beyond the final frontier

By Peter Keough
September 26, 2015

“Live long and prosper.” Many a “Star Trek” fan has repeated this hallowed greeting uttered by the Starship Enterprise’s science officer, Mr. Spock.

Leonard Nimoy, who played the iconic, half-human, half-Vulcan rationalist, fulfilled that goal, but not without challenges. He died last February, at
the age of 83, from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, a term for several lung diseases, including emphysema. Smoking, a habit Nimoy had given
up 30 years ago, is the number one cause of the disease.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Sadly, cigarette smoking was much more common and accepted several years ago. The fatal consequences have taken awhile to become common knowledge but amazingly, some people still smoke cigarettes to this day.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.