Rail shortage

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: Rail shortage

Post by UnBiasFan »

Irse wrote:
Scott wrote:
It is your fault if you give them the designs and specs to build and it is flawed (poor design).
Wouldn't Kiewit know that the design and specs are flawed? Don't they have engineers to determine that beforehand?
You ever notice how excellent the engineers and contractors are when they have to finish a project like a new "Costco"?

The accountability for this rail project goes back to corrupt political system. Mufi stood before a crowd at a $500 per plate fundraiser proclaiming victory. How can you expect someone to be accountable for a project if they think it is all about their campaign war-chest?. Does anyone think that awhole will ever admit that he was way freakin wrong on his estimates?

Will anyone in this town stand up and admit that the " palin-loving, republican lady (that we got rid of)" might have been right in doing her rail study? Nah .... that would create cognitive dissonance.

Does anyone think that Ben C., the " corrupt politician", might have had good reason to come out of retirement and become mayor? Nah ... that belief would cause some more cognitive dissonance.

The voters buy into this crappy political system. The politicians want the people to be shiit-for-brains losers. Their strategy is to make you feel like you belong to a group. They want you to hate on the other group and all the rest of nutcases that question them. We got to live with the political crap. But, I see absolutely no reason to try to change anything. I will cast my vote which is my duty --- but that is it. I will accept that being screwed over is part of the deal.

So I focus on sports! :lol:
Last edited by UnBiasFan on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

UnBiasFan wrote: Does anyone think that awhole will ever admit that he was way freakin wrong on his estimates?
I think he knew how much it would really cost. He just lied to us to get it passed.
ImageImage

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Scott wrote: It is your fault if you give them the designs and specs to build and it is flawed (poor design).
If they had bad specs. Are you saying HART provided bad specs?
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Irse wrote:
Scott wrote:
It is your fault if you give them the designs and specs to build and it is flawed (poor design).
Wouldn't Kiewit know that the design and specs are flawed? Don't they have engineers to determine that beforehand?
They have to do their due diligence to ensure what they are tasked to build can be built safely. But bad specs wasn't the problem. It was bad construction methods.
I am the one who knocks.

Irse

Post by Irse »

808Hawaii wrote: They have to do their due diligence to ensure what they are tasked to build can be built safely. But bad specs wasn't the problem. It was bad construction methods.
I wouldn't doubt that the design and specs may have been off but it's still Kiewit's responsibility to build a safe product. If the specs were off then it should have been discussed and they should have refused to do the work if it couldn't be done safely. When it comes down to it, it's Kiewit's reputation on the line. Plus they would be sued for any damages if something happens to the part they built.
ImageImage

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Irse wrote:
808Hawaii wrote: They have to do their due diligence to ensure what they are tasked to build can be built safely. But bad specs wasn't the problem. It was bad construction methods.
I wouldn't doubt that the design and specs may have been off but it's still Kiewit's responsibility to build a safe product. If the specs were off then it should have been discussed and they should have refused to do the work if it couldn't be done safely. When it comes down to it, it's Kiewit's reputation on the line. Plus they would be sued for any damages if something happens to the part they built.
There are some serious problems Kiewit has to fix. Real serious problems.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Mufi's Choochoo might have helped on Carmegeddon Tuesday. While not the answer to all of the traffic problems going forward, it would be another commuting option for those of us out in the west and central side. Panos' solution (one of them) for synchronizing traffic signals better would not have helped one iota, but some of his other ideas may help. There will never be one solution to fix the traffic mess and we can all look forward to seeing the situation get worse. How about saying no to Hoopili and Koa Ridge, and building more new homes in the Windward and East sides of the island (still got some green areas to build on), including more skyscraper condos in Kakaako and surrounding areas? These folks are the most vehement against the rail. Give them the traffic back.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

My3Cats wrote:Mufi's Choochoo might have helped on Carmegeddon Tuesday. While not the answer to all of the traffic problems going forward, it would be another commuting option for those of us out in the west and central side. Panos' solution (one of them) for synchronizing traffic signals better would not have helped one iota, but some of his other ideas may help. There will never be one solution to fix the traffic mess and we can all look forward to seeing the situation get worse. How about saying no to Hoopili and Koa Ridge, and building more new homes in the Windward and East sides of the island (still got some green areas to build on), including more skyscraper condos in Kakaako and surrounding areas? These folks are the most vehement against the rail. Give them the traffic back.
+1! Build a Hoopili sized subdivision in Kailua, and a Koa Ridge in Kalama Valley. We already have too much traffic on the west side.
I am the one who knocks.

Irse

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote: How about saying no to Hoopili and Koa Ridge, and building more new homes in the Windward and East sides of the island (still got some green areas to build on), including more skyscraper condos in Kakaako and surrounding areas? These folks are the most vehement against the rail. Give them the traffic back.
+1
ImageImage

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

West Oahu already has the worst traffic on the island and they want to add another Hawaii Kai sized subdivision on that side? No make sense. Build that on the windward side where they already have five ways into and out of the area.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The anti-H3 people complained that H3 would bring much unwanted development to the Windward side. Took 30 damn years for that road to be built. Take a look now. Where's the new development on that side?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

My3Cats wrote:The anti-H3 people complained that H3 would bring much unwanted development to the Windward side. Took 30 damn years for that road to be built. Take a look now. Where's the new development on that side?
Nothing can ever be built along the H3 corridor and the windward side is largely built out already.

The Kapolei/Ewa area is specifically targeted for tens of thousands of houses, a business district (that is currently being converted to a housing district), and a mega-mall.

There is very little comparison between H3 and the massive development plans along side the rail project.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

UnBiasFan wrote:
My3Cats wrote:The anti-H3 people complained that H3 would bring much unwanted development to the Windward side. Took 30 damn years for that road to be built. Take a look now. Where's the new development on that side?
Nothing can ever be built along the H3 corridor and the windward side is largely built out already.

The Kapolei/Ewa area is specifically targeted for tens of thousands of houses, a business district (that is currently being converted to a housing district), and a mega-mall.

There is very little comparison between H3 and the massive development plans along side the rail project.
Actually I agree with this. I grew up in Kailua and recall that one of the main reasons was that H3 was supposed to be more for traffic relief for the folks who live on the Windward side and H3 has done that. I never expected that H3 would bring new housing developments to Windward just because there is very little in the way of large open spaces. And in the meantime and as the years passed, the Ewa side was targeted by the City and State for development. Yes, rail is old technology. But no one has come up with a really good solution to the traffic out west that these poor folks have to face everyday, and will continue to worsen. Windward and Eastside had their traffic improvements. Time to help out Westside and Central Oahu too.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

UnBiasFan wrote:

Then give the residents between Ko'Olina and Makaha another way in and out. All it takes is one critical accident and these people can't even get home because the one highway is closed. And add two more lanes to the H-1 in each direction so we can get home in less than an hour. Or bridge the mouth of Pearl Harbor with a new highway from Ko'Olina to Sand Island.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

My3Cats wrote:
UnBiasFan wrote:

Actually I agree with this. I grew up in Kailua and recall that one of the main reasons was that H3 was supposed to be more for traffic relief for the folks who live on the Windward side and H3 has done that. I never expected that H3 would bring new housing developments to Windward just because there is very little in the way of large open spaces. And in the meantime and as the years passed, the Ewa side was targeted by the City and State for development. Yes, rail is old technology. But no one has come up with a really good solution to the traffic out west that these poor folks have to face everyday, and will continue to worsen. Windward and Eastside had their traffic improvements. Time to help out Westside and Central Oahu too.
Build a high rise affordable housing project in Kailua.
I am the one who knocks.