Rail shortage

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: Rail shortage

Post by UnBiasFan »

808Hawaii wrote:
UnBiasFan wrote:
My3Cats wrote:The anti-H3 people complained that H3 would bring much unwanted development to the Windward side. Took 30 damn years for that road to be built. Take a look now. Where's the new development on that side?
Nothing can ever be built along the H3 corridor and the windward side is largely built out already.

The Kapolei/Ewa area is specifically targeted for tens of thousands of houses, a business district (that is currently being converted to a housing district), and a mega-mall.

There is very little comparison between H3 and the massive development plans along side the rail project.
Then give the residents between Ko'Olina and Makaha another way in and out. All it takes is one critical accident and these people can't even get home because the one highway is closed. And add two more lanes to the H-1 in each direction so we can get home in less than an hour. Or bridge the mouth of Pearl Harbor with a new highway from Ko'Olina to Sand Island.

I don't think we would even have to cross the mouth of Pearl Harbor.

A freeway (or four lane express toll road) could be built along the mauka side of Pearl Harbor (along the north shore/in front of the power plant). It would be a long bridge (but it would not have to be elevated much over the water because it would be north of where navy boats are). It could start in the West Loch area, traverse the north shore of Pearl Harbor and then empty out onto the H-1 past the stadium. This would take Ewa Beach/east Kapolei traffic away from the H1-H2 merge.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

here is a bridge built close to the water

Link

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

UnBiasFan wrote:

A freeway (or four lane express toll road) could be built along the mauka side of Pearl Harbor (along the north shore/in front of the power plant). It would be a long bridge (but it would not have to be elevated much over the water because it would be north of where navy boats are). It could start in the West Loch area, traverse the north shore of Pearl Harbor and then empty out onto the H-1 past the stadium. This would take Ewa Beach/east Kapolei traffic away from the H1-H2 merge.
I always thought that they should build across the mouth of PH but it's gov't land and it would affect the operations of PH and the ships if something would happen to it, like it gets blown up by some terrorists or gets bombed and it blocks the ships.

Not sure how it would be makai of the current freeway. still on gov't land I believe, and not sure what would be affected underneath of it. I like the idea of a toll road though.
ImageImage

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Irse wrote:
UnBiasFan wrote:

I always thought that they should build across the mouth of PH but it's gov't land and it would affect the operations of PH and the ships if something would happen to it, like it gets blown up by some terrorists or gets bombed and it blocks the ships.

Not sure how it would be makai of the current freeway. still on gov't land I believe, and not sure what would be affected underneath of it. I like the idea of a toll road though.

I think a second freeway (or bypass around the h1-h2 merge) is inevitable

In our community participation from regular people is not wanted. Community meetings are just vehicles for developers to use the public for their own good. They don't give a crap about you unless you sell out to them.

I have no interest in being the guy at the neighborhood board meeting asking for something. Life is short and I don't want to be trashed for coming up with an idea that the power brokers haven't offered as their own.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

UnBiasFan wrote:here is a bridge built close to the water

Link
That's exactly what we need from somewhere between Ko'Olina and Ft. Weaver Road to around Sand Island.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

That's a long bridge! What bothers me is what looks like a dead bug on the windshield (top right of the screen). Made me itchy. If the State built a bridge like that around the south shore to connect the west side to downtown it would probably take 50+ years or more from conception to completion. Think of the lawsuits and counter lawsuits! The protests by (not in any particular order) surfers, fishermen, the Military, NIMBYS who don't want to lose their view of the ocean, Native Hawaiians, East Honolulu residents, Windward Oahu residents, etc, etc, etc. Because it makes too much sense, it will never get done. Lucky we live Hawaii.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

My3Cats wrote:That's a long bridge! What bothers me is what looks like a dead bug on the windshield (top right of the screen). Made me itchy. If the State built a bridge like that around the south shore to connect the west side to downtown it would probably take 50+ years or more from conception to completion. Think of the lawsuits and counter lawsuits! The protests by (not in any particular order) surfers, fishermen, the Military, NIMBYS who don't want to lose their view of the ocean, Native Hawaiians, East Honolulu residents, Windward Oahu residents, etc, etc, etc. Because it makes too much sense, it will never get done. Lucky we live Hawaii.
Actually when I really think about this, the permits would probably be really hard to get - Coastal Management Zone, Special Management Zone, etc. I forget the permit for changing the shoreline at the abutments. Probably not be able to obtain them all. The reef runway was built a long time ago, prior to all them permit requirement - back in the good ole days. :wink:
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I was just talking story with a friend of mine who works for the State. He remembers when there was of talk about moving State and City offices out to Kapolei several years ago and that there was a lot of push back from the government employees and the unions. He said now a lot of government employees are crying that there is not enough government jobs on the west side.

You harvest what you sow, and very little was planted back then.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

My3Cats wrote:I was just talking story with a friend of mine who works for the State. He remembers when there was of talk about moving State and City offices out to Kapolei several years ago and that there was a lot of push back from the government employees and the unions. He said now a lot of government employees are crying that there is not enough government jobs on the west side.

What's new? State and C&C employees always going complain about something.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

808Hawaii wrote:
My3Cats wrote:I was just talking story with a friend of mine who works for the State. He remembers when there was of talk about moving State and City offices out to Kapolei several years ago and that there was a lot of push back from the government employees and the unions. He said now a lot of government employees are crying that there is not enough government jobs on the west side.

What's new? State and C&C employees always going complain about something.
Sounds like some of us on the sportshawaii board eh?