'Gangnam Style', more PSY & K-pop

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 'Gangnam Style', more PSY & K-pop

Post by Kailuaboy »

Girls' Generation 'The Boys' Surpasses 100 Million Views On YouTube

By James B
September 28, 2014 01:15 PM EDT

Girls' Generation continues to prove their power on the internet with another tremendous milestone.

The top K-Pop girl group recently surpassed 100 million views on YouTube for their music video "The Boys." This is Girls' Generation's third music video to hit the 100 million view mark on YouTube after "I Got A Boy" and "Gee."

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Even Girls' Generation Cannot Avoid The '2nd Generation' Girl Group Curse

By Diana Shin
September 30, 2014 10:51 AM EDT

In 2007, Girls' Generation debuted along with Wonder Girls and KARA. These groups were the next generation of girl groups for K-Pop after the 1st generation groups such as S.E.S and Fink.L.

However, these second generation girl groups went through numerous changes in the past couple of years with member changes and other issues.
In the case of Wonder Girls, their quick success and fame also led to an even faster change in their group.

They are also the most changed group out of the second generation girl groups as they changed members during their debut song. HyunA left the group and Youbin joined and took her place.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

808havok
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808havok »

^ it was only a matter of time. it was just a matter of "who" would leave first.

sm entertainment has a horrible past of managing their idol stars and i'm surprised GG lasted as long as they did.

what i do find interesting is that the korean mentality of conformity seems to have reared its ugly head. unlike wondergirls, where they were effectively disbanded due to sunye's decision to go on mission (what with the rather hasty marriage and later being revealed she was pregnant before marriage... i'm not even going to touch on that hypocrisy), from all the media i've seen, jessica has indicated that she wanted to remain a part of GG and continue with its activities. based on pretty firm speculation, jessica will be getting married to her business partner/boyfriend in May 2015. it has been revealed that the rest of the 8 girls have firmly told jessica she is no longer welcome as a member. i find that odd since its well know fact yuri and sunny are good friends with jessica. that all the girls would band together to tell her she is not welcome indicates one of 2 things - either they really are in agreement, or 2 - the rest of the girls are acting on their own self-interest and doing it to survive.

perhaps sm didn't want what happened to the wondergirls to happen to their ultimate cashcow GG. this also indicates that the "idols" don't have all that much star power if not the collective. wondergirls apparently could not survive with just 3 members. my guess is that GG will start to fall apart as well. each member will always have a role to play that keeps the collective strong. once that element is no longer there, they start falling apart.

jessica was one of the 3 main vocals of GG (taeyeon and tiffany making up the rest). i always found it interesting that GG's sub-unit was not taeyeon, tiffany and jessica but rather seohyun. perhaps sm predicted jessica would leave sooner rather than later. how do you make and sell albums when you only have 2 main vocals and 6 tag-alongs? seohyun is pitchy and yelps more than she sings (don't believe me? listen to "twinkle" and "holler"), and the rest... well, to be kind, singing is not their forte. there's a reason they all have less than 10 seconds of lines to sing.

i DO find it rather odd that jessica is still in the SM fold; she may have to sue her way out of her current contract if that is the case to get any kind of relief.

in any case, jessica will be fine - she has her business venture and is a successful musical actress who can continue to earn money.

question is - will the rest of GG be ok without her?

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Wow, 808havok, excellent analysis of SNSD's situation. I may have to ask your opinion on a few things I've been wondering about.

Anyways, I do think there's some info that hasn't been made public regarding Jessica, SM and SNSD. The whole situation just doesn't make sense. I mean all nine girls recently signed a new three-year contract with SM. Also, regarding Jessica's new business, everyone knew what was going on and for ALL of the girls to suddenly have an objection to Jessica's new business venture just doesn't make sense. Also, it's not like the group is promoting a new album right now. Their promotion for Mr. Mr. ended a long time ago.

I watched a couple of SNSD videos and I'm wondering how they're gonna make up for Jessica's absence. Any routine they've performed live in the past is gonna have to be reworked or something to account for her absence. Also, Taeyeon's recent comments at a fan meeting seems kinda strange.
"From the start, all I wanted to do was protect Girls' Generation. I'm sorry. Please trust us one more time."
I dunno ....... until more details of Jessica's ouster is made public, I'm not sure how I feel about SNSD.
ImageImageImageImage

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

Kailuaboy wrote:Wow, 808havok, excellent analysis of SNSD's situation. I may have to ask your opinion on a few things I've been wondering about... :o Also, it's not like the group is promoting a new album right now. .... Also, Taeyeon's recent comments at a fan meeting seems kinda strange.
"From the start, all I wanted to do was protect Girls' Generation. I'm sorry. Please trust us one more time."
I dunno ....... until more details of Jessica's ouster is made public, I'm not sure how I feel about SNSD.
:o Really? Asian cute girls that sing like........chipmunks, are hard to figure out? Oh lordy.....it's the same thing like BUY ME DRINKIE! I'm cute really CUTE!!! Please CONSUME ALL of me? [-X Then it's HOW MUCH MONEY you going give ME?!! I want it ALL! :read: SO then, they dance for you....and you get sucked up it their VORTEX! LOST FOREVER! Run! I said RUN AWAY! :oops: Too late.....Hogster to write more about Asian conspiracies.... :lol: Wait a minute! Holy crap this is TRUE?! :o :-
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

808havok
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808havok »

Kailuaboy wrote:Wow, 808havok, excellent analysis of SNSD's situation. I may have to ask your opinion on a few things I've been wondering about.
shoot. i dunno how much i may be of any help but i'm a recovering kpop-holic so take it for what its worth. heehee.
Anyways, I do think there's some info that hasn't been made public regarding Jessica, SM and SNSD. The whole situation just doesn't make sense. I mean all nine girls recently signed a new three-year contract with SM. Also, regarding Jessica's new business, everyone knew what was going on and for ALL of the girls to suddenly have an objection to Jessica's new business venture just doesn't make sense. Also, it's not like the group is promoting a new album right now. Their promotion for Mr. Mr. ended a long time ago.
the korean culture is as perplexing as the japanese culture when it comes to conformity, saving face, and taking one for the team. there is a lot of PR and damage control that is being done. from what i can gather from recent korean media, both SM and jessica have been quiet after the intial brouhaha. SM will never apologize and jessica in the end will keep quiet and move on with her life. otherwise, she can face an uphill battle like JYJ did being caught up in court battles and facing SM's heavy-handed tactics to ban her from any tv or other media activities.
I watched a couple of SNSD videos and I'm wondering how they're gonna make up for Jessica's absence. Any routine they've performed live in the past is gonna have to be reworked or something to account for her absence. Also, Taeyeon's recent comments at a fan meeting seems kinda strange.
again, taeyeon is doing damage-control. those words actually don't mean anything. that is PR-coached speak for "we are sorry for causing a fuss." the phrase "trust us one more time" is used often in korean culture to ask any party to not lose faith in ones capability and character; business and politicians use this phrase all the time. in terms of accounting for jessica's lines and choreography - the girls are used to modifying their routines because many times all 9 girls are not present due to other obligations be it filming tv dramas or illness. they'll adapt and be fine.

something is definitely not right at SM. just yesterday news broke out that another member of EXO is suing to be released from his contract... for GG, jessica and SM, the true story, as is typical in kpop land will either come out in court battles, or never come out at all... oh, and jessica's bf has recently taken to social media to say they are definitely NOT getting married...
Last edited by 808havok on Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

808havok
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808havok »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
Kailuaboy wrote:Wow, 808havok, excellent analysis of SNSD's situation. I may have to ask your opinion on a few things I've been wondering about... :o Also, it's not like the group is promoting a new album right now. .... Also, Taeyeon's recent comments at a fan meeting seems kinda strange.
:o Really? Asian cute girls that sing like........chipmunks, are hard to figure out? Oh lordy.....it's the same thing like BUY ME DRINKIE! I'm cute really CUTE!!! Please CONSUME ALL of me? [-X Then it's HOW MUCH MONEY you going give ME?!! I want it ALL! :read: SO then, they dance for you....and you get sucked up it their VORTEX! LOST FOREVER! Run! I said RUN AWAY! :oops: Too late.....Hogster to write more about Asian conspiracies.... :lol: Wait a minute! Holy crap this is TRUE?! :o :-
this is more exciting to talk about than UH losing. again. </not sarcasm>

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

808havok wrote: this is more exciting to talk about than UH losing. again. </not sarcasm>
:o WOA! UH won a football game....and I'm thinking, we NEED these K-POP girls to do our half show at ALOHA STADIUM! :hello1:

:wink: They can't hurt us, right? :-
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Link

Love Sick & Don't Touch Me @ Comeback Stage

Link
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Psy Continues His Reign Over YouTube As 'Gangnam Style' Surpasses 2.1 Billion Views

October 15, 2014
03:19 AM EDT

Psy's music video for "Gangnam Style" is as popular now as it ever was and now has surpassed 2.1 billion views.

On October 6, the viral music video sped past the 2.1 billion views mark on YouTube and is continuing to break its own record.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Girl’s Day Cry Their Hearts Out In Emotional “I Miss You (Want To See)” Music Video Comeback

By Michael Jamias
October 16, 2014 07:29 AM EDT

Girl's Day let tears flow freely in their new comeback track, "I Miss You (Want To See)."

Girl's Day captured the sadness of a woman who has lost her love but still remembers the good times they spent together. You can feel the heartache and desperation from the girls as they try to cope with missing someone who has already left their embrace. It was hard to watch them so sad, but the girls remained beautiful even through all the tears and smudged makeup!

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

K-Pop 101: A Look Into the Rigorous Process of Becoming a K-Pop Star

November 7, 2014 10:00 AM

4minute (Photo by Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images)

When we think of K-Pop we automatically think of PSY’s “Gangnam Style,” 2NE1&#8242;s “I Am the Best” or androgynous looking singers and dancers dressed up in colorful clothing and accessories. But behind closed curtains, K-Pop artists have come a long way to where they are today.

K-Pop is pretty much a life long process one must be committed to at a young age. You’re either recruited to a talent agency or you audition for one, and you could be as young as five years old to start your journey to K-Pop stardom.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage