What is your favorite fine dining restaurant?

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Re: What is your favorite fine dining restaurant?

Post by Haynr8dr »

I'm not sure what it's called, but a couple of weeks ago when I was in Vegas, we went to a steak house on the top of Binnion's.

Set up by a friend of ours, I initially thought, "town" - yuk. At the bottom of Binnion's, there's a "steak-n-lobster" deal for $18 or something like that - it totally sucked. So, I thought it might be something like that.

The place on top however, was definitely "fine dining", complete with the white table clothes. Food was good. But the "steak-n-lobster" was $72. :o

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Post by The808Chef »

Haynr8dr wrote:The place on top however, was definitely "fine dining", complete with the white table clothes. Food was good. But the "steak-n-lobster" was $72. :o
If the food was "good" then you definitely over paid. Well...let's see. What cut of steak was it and how big was the lobster? Did it come with sides or were like any upscale steakhouse, were they a la carte? What were sauce options? If you say A1 bro...I dunno you man.
Often wrong...seldom in doubt!

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

EDGE808:

I too ate at the DUO. Good grinds and atmosphere.
But, my friend bought and sent me a complimentary bottle of champaigne for over $50.00. I get home and found out they charged me for it (when my friend had bought it). Oh well.

I prefer local hole in the walls. But, some of places in Maui County I like:

Mamas (though it's a rip off nowadays)
Roys (Kahana)
The Lodge at Koele, Lanai (though a small MOI, rice and salad cost over $50. I catch um for free.)
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Mama's was always too busy and touristy for my taste. I would always argue with my good buddy about it, who says he loves it. I mean, there is fish is good, but...

Then, my friend had lunch on a $100 gift certificate with his wife. Dude end up paying on top of that for nothin' special. Overpriced.

Don't forget on Maui: Nick's Fishmarket at the Kealani (although the service has gone down lately) and Sea Watch at the Gold/Emerald golf course in Wailea.

Hy's steakhouse is it still on Kuhio Avenue...downstairs of some apartment...near the zoo end? Man, that was sooo good. I miss Alfred's...did he reopen somewhere else?

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Yeah - I guess I like Mama's mostly for it's location . . . tucked away in a cove. Kinda romantic with wifey. :D But, yeah, over-priced and food is average.

I've yet to try Nick's on Maui. I'll have to check it out.
I used to like Buzz's Wharf in Ma'alaea - especially the Prawns Tahitian and steak. But, not sure what happened but last time I went - prices went up, and quality and quantity went way down.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Doubt there's one in Hawaii but Rib Crib here in OKC near my place has great bar-b-que food. But, the fries are the best I ever tasted.

The catfish sandwich is the major bomb!!!!

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

OKIE: One of my best friends (originally from the San Fran - Oakland area) just moved back to Maui from the South. He keeps telling me about how great catfish sandwiches are (and, some other sandwich called (something like) a "poaboy" or "poor boy".

He said he goin make them for me one day soon. :o

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Just checked the official site and there's no Rib Crib restaurant west of New Mexico.

http://www.ribcrib.com/flash/locations.htm

For those in the areas that there is a Rib Crib, you have to try the catfish sandwishes!

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Back to "fine dining" in Hawaii:
Oahu: Nicks
Maui: Roys (Kahana)
Lanai: Koele Lodge
Kauai: ?
Big Island: ?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Anywhere I don't encounter George Demello and his Nazi beliefs (it happened Thursday)! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In all honesty, I can't think of anything.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

wyokie wrote:Just checked the official site and there's no Rib Crib restaurant west of New Mexico.

http://www.ribcrib.com/flash/locations.htm

For those in the areas that there is a Rib Crib, you have to try the catfish sandwishes!
You can bet my wife would like that place. Just let my family know that Big Dog won't be anywhere near the vicinity of a Rib Crib.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

Grinch wrote: But, my friend bought and sent me a complimentary bottle of champaigne for over $50.00. I get home and found out they charged me for it (when my friend had bought it)....
:o Whoa.....that doesn't sound so "complementary" to me if YOU had to pay for it! Sounds like the "paradise" tax was ineffect for your meal. [-X Shame on them.....you should have gone back the restaurant and raise hell or have a cow. Maybe ribeye? :P
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

kik050
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by kik050 »

Paul B wrote:My Uncle Almar has been in the restaurant business for more than 25 years and he took me to ALL the locations on Oahu, Maui, and Los Angeles (if it's FREE, why not?).

Of course, I have to recommend my Uncle's current restaurant Formaggio Grill and previous restaurant Hy's Steak House.

(in no particular order, they're all good)
Roy's Restaurant
Sam Choy's
DK's
Alan Wong's Restaurant
Hailemaile General Store (Maui)
Ruth Chris
Avalon (Maui)
David's Restaurant (Maui)
Longhi's
Onjin's Cafe--but heard it closed down.
John Dominis
3660 on the rise
Hoku's

Too many to name on my list. All these guys and a few girls are my Uncle's friends.
These are good places.
I stumbled onto Onjin's for lunch when we did the Public Storage and Wedding Ring Shop. Best Kalbi sauce. My wife and I went there for dinner one time and it was really good. Don't know if she opened up again somewhere else.

Sam Choy's Kapahulu isn't what it used to be. I swear the first time I ate there, it was the best place ever with all the food he gave. The last two times I went there with my wife, made me say let's choose to spend our money elsewhere.
Hawai'i has the best fighters in the world. F___ that's all we do. --BJ Penn

thanohano44
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: baseball aint a sport.
NBA: Suns
NFL: Raiders

Post by thanohano44 »

RUTH's CHRIS

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Paul B wrote:My Uncle Almar has been in the restaurant business for more than 25 years and he took me to ALL the locations on Oahu, Maui, and Los Angeles (if it's FREE, why not?).

Of course, I have to recommend my Uncle's current restaurant Formaggio Grill and previous restaurant Hy's Steak House.

(in no particular order, they're all good)
Roy's Restaurant
Sam Choy's
DK's
Alan Wong's Restaurant
Hailemaile General Store (Maui)
Ruth Chris
Avalon (Maui)David's Restaurant (Maui)
Longhi's
Onjin's Cafe--but heard it closed down.
John Dominis
3660 on the rise
Hoku's

Too many to name on my list. All these guys and a few girls are my Uncle's friends.
Avalon was closed ten years ago due to some drug bust. Mark Eleman started with Maui Taco's and has opened a couple of Ma la grills since here.

David Paul's...Yes a good restaurant. I haven't been there for some time though.

I have never had a good experience at Longhi's. (in Wailea.)