Does anyone have questions about Wyoming in general?

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Does anyone have questions about Wyoming in general?

Post by wyokie »

If you all have any questions about anything about Wyoming not related to college or high school sports, please ask them. I would like to "educate" y'all about my heritage, the Great State of Wyoming.

I probably love Wyoming more than y'all love Hawaii.

GO WYO!

ktownwarrior
All-conference
All-conference

Post by ktownwarrior »

You know, Wyoming sounds like a nice place. I do want to know how many people live near or around you, considering Wyoming is one of the least populated states in the U.S. despite its size.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Good question. Wyoming is the 9th largest state in the Union but only has 490,000 people which explains in part why we have a hard time averaging 20,000 at UW football games!

Plus, during the winter you have to deal with some major league winter conditions. Also, travelling from one end of the state is time-consuming! For example, going from Cody in northwest Wyoming to Laramie in southeast Wyoming and where the university normaly takes 5-6 hours. Now add in super bad travel cconditions during the winter and you talking 7-8 hours ONE WAY!

That's why Wyoming always requested to either the WAC or to the MWC to have no more than one home game in November. Last year's schedule with two games at War Memorial in November was a killer attendance-wise.

Any more?

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Post by Ldub20 »

LDUB HAS A QUESTION. ARE ALL PEOPLE FROM WYOMING HILLBILLIES AND COWRIDING OR MANRIDING INBREDDED REDNECKS? YOU TAKE OHANA TO A WHOLE NOTHER LEVEL! HAAAAAH! :lol:

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Wyokie,

Any other NAIA, DIII, DII, or DIAA football teams in the state? UH is the only one for Hawai'i, unless UH Hilo fields a team sometime soon.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

WA Warrior wrote:Wyokie,

Any other NAIA, DIII, DII, or DIAA football teams in the state? UH is the only one for Hawai'i, unless UH Hilo fields a team sometime soon.
Nope. Just 1 university and 7 junior colleges.

However, back in the early 20th Century, there was supposed to be a second university, a "Wyoming State University" in Lander which is located in central Wyoming. However the idea never got off the ground due to politics (no surprise there :roll: ).

Although Casper College has tried to become a four-year college for several years since the 1970s but again, politics stepped in.

Cheyenne-Laramie area wanted to keep UW as the ONLY university in Wyoming. So, Casper and all of the northern counties kept the university from having a dome be put on War Memorial Stadium.

'Aint politics wonderful!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Then in many respects Wyoming Football is like Hawai'i's UH, the only game in town.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

WA Warrior wrote:Then in many respects Wyoming Football is like Hawai'i's UH, the only game in town.
BINGO! :)

With one major difference, Hawaii can get the big boys like Michigan State, Notre Dame, etc. to come to Honolulu. Wyoming doesn't have that luxury. I'm just glad Texas A & M and Ole Miss honored their contracts.

MisterPurple
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MisterPurple »

wyokie wrote: With one major difference, Hawaii can get the big boys like Michigan State, Notre Dame, etc. to come to Honolulu. Wyoming doesn't have that luxury. I'm just glad Texas A & M and Ole Miss honored their contracts.
Well, there are two big reasons why:

1. A trip to Hawaii is an easy sell. If you can raise the money for the trip, who in their right mind would turn it down? It even excites the fans, giving them an extra reason to make the trip. I always wondered if travel agencies in other areas sell package deals to Hawaii with air/hotel/ground transportation/tickets to the game. Because whenever UH goes on the road, you sure see travel agencies advertising such packages... especially if they're going to Las Vegas!

On a side note... the other team's fans always seem to be so glad to be in Hawaii. I give them a lot of credit for spending the money to come out here. It can be fun to razz other team's fans at some places, but I gotta admit, a lot of those that come here are in such great spirits that I can't bring myself to do that most of the time - especially with the drawl that those southern belles spoke with. :P The Alabama fans seemed especially friendly, coming here two years in a row. If I had the money to travel (and so did my friends), I wouldn't mind making a trip out to Tuscaloosa to repay the visitors' hospitality.

2. Extra game exemptions. They have 'em in football and in basketball, not so sure about other sports. That is, if the NCAA allows 12 games to play in a football season, you can play at Hawaii and not count it toward the 12. In basketball, I *think* it only counts if you play in a tournament, and you can only take the exemption twice in four years. This part changes periodically, but I believe the NCAA just put it back to two in four. Thus, tourneys like the Rainbow Classic (and Chaminade's Maui Invitational) can draw big name teams consistently. I only wish the Classic could draw a more prestigious field more consistently. It's always at least a pretty good field... but I think Chaminade on average attracts a stronger bunch of teams.

If I am not mistaken, isn't part of the trouble with drawing teams to Wyoming the school's location? Whenever UH has had to play there, there's always a big deal made about how they have to fly to Denver then to Caspar (or is it Cheyenne?), then take some long bus ride out to Laramie. Whatever the nearest big (or semi-big) airport is to Laramie is still hours away by bus.

Okay... so to get back to the point.... what do I want to know about the great state of Wyoming....

Oh okay...

What do you call residents of the state?

Wyomingers?
Wyomingites?
Wyomericans?

BTW, this is stolen from the episode of Taxi, where the Reverend Jim is wacthing so much TV that he is enthralled by a Delaware state legislature debate over calling residents "Delawarians" or "Delawarites".

Kobayashi
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Kobayashi »

does Wyoming have a major problem with suburban sprawl?

If you are wandering what suburban sprawl is... it is uncontrolled development that is built around the automobile... Here is your typical southern suburban area...

Or does life still revolve around the historic downtown area?

Do you have any pictures of some towns in Wyoming?

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

MisterPurple wrote:
wyokie wrote: With one major difference, Hawaii can get the big boys like Michigan State, Notre Dame, etc. to come to Honolulu. Wyoming doesn't have that luxury. I'm just glad Texas A & M and Ole Miss honored their contracts.
Well, there are two big reasons why:

1. A trip to Hawaii is an easy sell. If you can raise the money for the trip, who in their right mind would turn it down? It even excites the fans, giving them an extra reason to make the trip. I always wondered if travel agencies in other areas sell package deals to Hawaii with air/hotel/ground transportation/tickets to the game. Because whenever UH goes on the road, you sure see travel agencies advertising such packages... especially if they're going to Las Vegas!

On a side note... the other team's fans always seem to be so glad to be in Hawaii. I give them a lot of credit for spending the money to come out here. It can be fun to razz other team's fans at some places, but I gotta admit, a lot of those that come here are in such great spirits that I can't bring myself to do that most of the time - especially with the drawl that those southern belles spoke with. :P The Alabama fans seemed especially friendly, coming here two years in a row. If I had the money to travel (and so did my friends), I wouldn't mind making a trip out to Tuscaloosa to repay the visitors' hospitality.

2. Extra game exemptions. They have 'em in football and in basketball, not so sure about other sports. That is, if the NCAA allows 12 games to play in a football season, you can play at Hawaii and not count it toward the 12. In basketball, I *think* it only counts if you play in a tournament, and you can only take the exemption twice in four years. This part changes periodically, but I believe the NCAA just put it back to two in four. Thus, tourneys like the Rainbow Classic (and Chaminade's Maui Invitational) can draw big name teams consistently. I only wish the Classic could draw a more prestigious field more consistently. It's always at least a pretty good field... but I think Chaminade on average attracts a stronger bunch of teams.
Well said and yes, I know the 12 game exemption rule well. If you remember both schools were conference mates from 1979-97.
If I am not mistaken, isn't part of the trouble with drawing teams to Wyoming the school's location?
That and the fact that War Memorial only holds 33,500 seats plus the super low population of the area around Laramie. Both Cheyenne and Laramie combine for only roughly 60,000.
Whenever UH has had to play there, there's always a big deal made about how they have to fly to Denver then to Caspar (or is it Cheyenne?), then take some long bus ride out to Laramie. Whatever the nearest big (or semi-big) airport is to Laramie is still hours away by bus.
First off, Casper is spelled with an e. The funny thing is that it's namesake, Lt. Caspar Collins of the U.S. Cavalry during the 1860s or 70s., is spelled with an a. I was born and raised in Casper (pop. 46,000).

The reason for the "misspelling" of Caspar: the postmaster in town got lazy and misspelled the town name on the official papers to be sent to the main U.S Post Office back east.

Secondly, Hawaii's travels to Laramie went this way: fly to Los Angeles, then fly to Denver, and then, bus from Denver to Laramie (which is a 2 hour ride).
Okay... so to get back to the point.... what do I want to know about the great state of Wyoming....

Oh okay...

What do you call residents of the state?

Wyomingers?
Wyomingites?
Wyomericans?

BTW, this is stolen from the episode of Taxi, where the Reverend Jim is wacthing so much TV that he is enthralled by a Delaware state legislature debate over calling residents "Delawarians" or "Delawarites".
People in Wyoming are called Wyomingites.

BTW, both Fort Collins, Colorado and Casper, Wyoming are named after the same man, Lt. Caspar Collins. There's a fort in Casper named after him, Fort Caspar.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Kobayashi wrote:does Wyoming have a major problem with suburban sprawl?

If you are wandering what suburban sprawl is... it is uncontrolled development that is built around the automobile... Here is your typical southern suburban area...
No really except for the major cities. The population is so low that only Casper, Cheyenne, Laramie, and Rock Springs has populations of more than 20,000. All of the other "cities" in Wyoming are less than 10,000. These's one town that has a population of 5. NO JOKE!!!
Or does life still revolve around the historic downtown area?
To be blunt, life in Wyoming revolves around rodeos, hunting, and fishing. Whole families during the fall goes hunting almost every weekend which is part of the reason why UW has a heck of a time drawing at least 20,000 average in football.
Do you have any pictures of some towns in Wyoming?
Try this site:
http://www.wyokies.com/wyotour03.htm

It's my parents' website. They love to go cycling.
The pic reminds of when you first enter Cheyenne from the south.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

From the picture you posted, Wyoming looks a lot like Colorado Springs.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: .................

Post by wyokie »

warriorfan808 wrote:From the picture you posted, Wyoming looks a lot like Colorado Springs.
Thought I should bring this back after a TWO year and 1 month hiatus.

Warriorfan808, parts of Wyoming DOES look like Colorado Springs. Like Jackson only MUCH smaller!

NiCkOwNsRTR
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Chicago White Sox
NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder
NFL: Indianapolis Colts

Post by NiCkOwNsRTR »

Does Wyoming "really" mean "No state here." ?

Can someone tell me what show that was on????