bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Chang's Offense: An argument for the Run and Shoot

Post by bigislandkurt »

Every coach comes in with their own version of what they think will work. When Rolovich first came back to UH, he utilized the spread/pistol elements he had been used to while an OC at Nevada. After marginal success, he made a well-publicized announcement and switched to the run and shoot. We all know what happened from there. Cole McDonald went on to place his name up on the mantel of some of UH's greatest QBs, Rolo gets the WSU job, UH finishes with a 10 win season. In his initial press conference, TChang hints that his offense will be a spread offense with elements of the run and shoot. Again, every coach has their right to choose what offense they want. And most often, they will choose the one that they have worked with he most. Chang has been away from the run and shoot for a long time. His rumored hire in Sheffield calls for he to be hired as Associate head coach, special teams coordinator and TIGHT ENDS coach. Chang's greatest success as a player came under the run and shoot offense. As it was for Nick Rolovich. It took Rolo a couple of years to come to his senses as head coach and bring UH back to its bread and butter offense. Seems like the same script might be playing out for Coach Chang. Perhaps that is one of the reasons so many of us are disappointed that JJ did not get the job. There would have been no question what our offense would look like. Why the run and shoot? Because Mouse Davis created this offense specifically for schools who did not have the biggest and baddest players. It was a way for schools like Portland State (and UH) to neutralize opposing defenses who had greater players, greater depth and more resources. While folks have criticized the run and shoot as a "gimmick" offense, it is the offense that brought UH its greatest success. The service academies have utilized the tripple option, wishbone and flexbone offenses because they simply do not have the personnel that other larger schools have. They too have "gimmicks" that work for them.

Norm Chow learned quickly that UH does not have the players or resources of a USC. Todd Graham learned (I think) that UH does not have the players that ASU and most Texas schools have. Rolo learned that UH is not like other schools. Coach Chang should learn from the patterns established by these past coaches. If he does not keep the run and shoot as the foundation of the UH offense, he will be making a big mistake. He should have JJ on speed dial. My opinion, at least.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Chang's Offense: An argument for the Run and Shoot

Post by EITSwarrior »

bigislandkurt wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:56 am Every coach comes in with their own version of what they think will work. When Rolovich first came back to UH, he utilized the spread/pistol elements he had been used to while an OC at Nevada. After marginal success, he made a well-publicized announcement and switched to the run and shoot. We all know what happened from there. Cole McDonald went on to place his name up on the mantel of some of UH's greatest QBs, Rolo gets the WSU job, UH finishes with a 10 win season. In his initial press conference, TChang hints that his offense will be a spread offense with elements of the run and shoot. Again, every coach has their right to choose what offense they want. And most often, they will choose the one that they have worked with he most. Chang has been away from the run and shoot for a long time. His rumored hire in Sheffield calls for he to be hired as Associate head coach, special teams coordinator and TIGHT ENDS coach. Chang's greatest success as a player came under the run and shoot offense. As it was for Nick Rolovich. It took Rolo a couple of years to come to his senses as head coach and bring UH back to its bread and butter offense. Seems like the same script might be playing out for Coach Chang. Perhaps that is one of the reasons so many of us are disappointed that JJ did not get the job. There would have been no question what our offense would look like. Why the run and shoot? Because Mouse Davis created this offense specifically for schools who did not have the biggest and baddest players. It was a way for schools like Portland State (and UH) to neutralize opposing defenses who had greater players, greater depth and more resources. While folks have criticized the run and shoot as a "gimmick" offense, it is the offense that brought UH its greatest success. The service academies have utilized the tripple option, wishbone and flexbone offenses because they simply do not have the personnel that other larger schools have. They too have "gimmicks" that work for them.

Norm Chow learned quickly that UH does not have the players or resources of a USC. Todd Graham learned (I think) that UH does not have the players that ASU and most Texas schools have. Rolo learned that UH is not like other schools. Coach Chang should learn from the patterns established by these past coaches. If he does not keep the run and shoot as the foundation of the UH offense, he will be making a big mistake. He should have JJ on speed dial. My opinion, at least.
I believe, if I remember correctly, Rolo stated why he did not fully go to the RNS right away was that the players on the roster at the time of his arrival did not fit the RNS, so he used an offense that he thought best utilized what was available. Now whether was the right call or not is not for me to decide.
Last edited by EITSwarrior on Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:19 am
bigislandkurt wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:56 am Every coach comes in with their own version of what they think will work. When Rolovich first came back to UH, he utilized the spread/pistol elements he had been used to while an OC at Nevada. After marginal success, he made a well-publicized announcement and switched to the run and shoot. We all know what happened from there. Cole McDonald went on to place his name up on the mantel of some of UH's greatest QBs, Rolo gets the WSU job, UH finishes with a 10 win season. In his initial press conference, TChang hints that his offense will be a spread offense with elements of the run and shoot. Again, every coach has their right to choose what offense they want. And most often, they will choose the one that they have worked with he most. Chang has been away from the run and shoot for a long time. His rumored hire in Sheffield calls for he to be hired as Associate head coach, special teams coordinator and TIGHT ENDS coach. Chang's greatest success as a player came under the run and shoot offense. As it was for Nick Rolovich. It took Rolo a couple of years to come to his senses as head coach and bring UH back to its bread and butter offense. Seems like the same script might be playing out for Coach Chang. Perhaps that is one of the reasons so many of us are disappointed that JJ did not get the job. There would have been no question what our offense would look like. Why the run and shoot? Because Mouse Davis created this offense specifically for schools who did not have the biggest and baddest players. It was a way for schools like Portland State (and UH) to neutralize opposing defenses who had greater players, greater depth and more resources. While folks have criticized the run and shoot as a "gimmick" offense, it is the offense that brought UH its greatest success. The service academies have utilized the tripple option, wishbone and flexbone offenses because they simply do not have the personnel that other larger schools have. They too have "gimmicks" that work for them.

I believe, if I remember correctly, Rolo stated why he did not fully go to the RNS right away was that the players on the roster at the time of his arrival did not fit the RNS, so he used an offense that he thought best utilized what was available. Now whether was the right call or not is for me to decide.
I recall the same thing. The personnel that you have should dictate what you run. An extreme example of that was Fred von Appen trying to run the west coast offense in year 1 with spread option QBs Glenn Freitas and Hunter Young. JJ could start the conversion to RNS because von Appen recruited a throwing QB in Dan Robinson.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

My gut tells me is that we won't see anything close to the r&s we are used to. We'll probably see something more like what we saw the last 2 seasons, but hopefully better executed.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:19 am

I believe, if I remember correctly, Rolo stated why he did not fully go to the RNS right away was that the players on the roster at the time of his arrival did not fit the RNS, so he used an offense that he thought best utilized what was available. Now whether was the right call or not is for me to decide.
That's correct. And Dru Brown left. IMO, Dru Brown could have done well in the RNS -Rolo version.

I want to see what the "COVID Restrictions" will be for the program. Todd Graham never had the "bonding" moments like past coaches.

Like military service, when the DI called you dogshlt, it's ok because you guys become close over the weeks, there is a bonding. If there is not enough bonding (local HC or not) with the players, dogshlt will not go well.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

You are correct EITSwarrior! Thanks for the reminder. Rolo talked about inheriting "a lot of big linemen, running backs and tight ends" built for Chow's run first approach when he first took over. That does not seem to be the case right now. While we do have some tight ends, most of our running backs and linemen have been depleted. The Roster appears to be quite open to implement the run and shoot foundation. We got a throwing QB (and might recruit more), we got receivers who could shine. For the start of the TChang era, I just don't see the same "round hole/square peg" issues Rolo allegedly faced when he took over for Chow. (I think that was more saving face after sucking his second year).
Friendship is Essential to the Soul