Transfer portal question

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Transfer portal question

Post by Irse »

The Warriors also are hopeful that some players who transferred from UH would consider returning. The NCAA has a loophole in which a one-time transfer can return to his original school if he acts before the start of the next school year.
This was in today's paper. So, if I'm reading it correctly, guys who already transferred like Cordeiro can come back to UH if they come back before the next school year. Is that what they are saying?
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Re: Transfer portal question

Post by BigWave96744 »

I'm thinking if they didn't enroll on school or sign a LOI they can return to their original school.

They may look foolish to those at their destination school but they got to look out what's in their best interest

Also the original school is not obligated to give back scholies to those who entered the portal

Irse

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:50 pm I'm thinking if they didn't enroll on school or sign a LOI they can return to their original school.

They may look foolish to those at their destination school but they got to look out what's in their best interest

Also the original school is not obligated to give back scholies to those who entered the portal
I don't understand how that would be a loophole since the player didn't attend another school anyways. I guess the article could have been worded better. When he used "transferred", I assumed that it was to another school. Entering the transfer portal doesn't mean the player transferred. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

The question is which UH guy, who entered the portal, already enrolled in their new school? 🤔

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:58 pm The question is which UH guy, who entered the portal, already enrolled in their new school? 🤔
I thought it was only a one time deal so if they already enrolled they would lose the the one time deal? So if they wanted to transfer back wouldn’t they have to sit out a year? Don’t know just asking. I can see if they only committed which during the recruiting period many have changed their minds. If they signed something wouldn’t it be a binding contract. Then player would have to seek a release?
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yes one time. But there's a loophole for Graduate Transfers. We may see a lot more of that too because some guys may be in the program 6 years. Redshirt + COVID bonus year. So some may finish their degree.

So if CC was to graduate with a BA degree from San Jose State, CC is "free" to transfer back to UH for his "final" year. (Not going to use the word "Senior.")

Someone correct me if this is wrong.

* Not sure why, but that reminds me. I think Junior Lopati was the player that spent the longest time in UH history, 7 years IIRC. RS + two medical years. I felt like he was on the team forever.

Irse

Post by Irse »

From the NCAA manual
14.5.5.2.8 Return to Original Institution Without Participation or With Minimal Participation
Exception. The student transfers to a second four-year collegiate institution, does not compete at the second
institution and does not engage in other countable athletically related activities in the involved sport at the second
institution beyond a 14-consecutive-day period and returns to the original institution. The 14-consecutive-day period
begins with the date on which the student-athlete first engages in any countable athletically related activity (see Bylaw
17.02.1). A student may use this exception even if the student has an unfulfilled residence requirement at the
institution from which the student is transferring.
Trying to find the one I saw on grad transfers. Grad transfers also only get one free transfer. Don't know how the Cal CB will do it since he already signed with UH. Unless he transfers back to Cal, I think he has to sit out.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Criteria for the one time exception
Q1: What criteria does the student-athlete need to meet in order to utilize the new Division I one-time exception to seek immediate transfer eligibility?
A1: In order to meet the criteria of the one-time transfer exception, the student-athlete must:
• Transfer from a four-year collegiate institution to an NCAA Division I school;
• Leave their current four-year school academically eligible;
• Have not transferred previously from another four-year institution, and
• Certify in writing, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Q3: What if a student-athlete previously transferred from a four-year school and would like to transfer again?
A3: Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school would not qualify for the one-time exception. There is an additional exception to this application if their previous transfer was due to the discontinuation or nonsponsorship of their sport at their original school.

Q13: What if the student-athlete transferred previously from another four-year school as an undergraduate student?
A13: Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school would not be able to use the one-time exception as a postgraduate transfer. However, a waiver process exists for postgraduate students with a previous transfer history.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:49 am From the NCAA manual
14.5.5.2.8 Return to Original Institution Without Participation or With Minimal Participation
Exception. The student transfers to a second four-year collegiate institution, does not compete at the second
institution and does not engage in other countable athletically related activities in the involved sport at the second
institution beyond a 14-consecutive-day period
and returns to the original institution. The 14-consecutive-day period
begins with the date on which the student-athlete first engages in any countable athletically related activity (see Bylaw
17.02.1). A student may use this exception even if the student has an unfulfilled residence requirement at the
institution from which the student is transferring.
Trying to find the one I saw on grad transfers. Grad transfers also only get one free transfer. Don't know how the Cal CB will do it since he already signed with UH. Unless he transfers back to Cal, I think he has to sit out.
The way I read it, any player that transferred away and wants to come back must act immediately. Say the school he is at started the semester last week Monday and the team started strength and condition then (countable athletically related activities) he must stop immediately otherwise the 14 day period will expire this coming weekend and he is stuck.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I would just leave this up to the Bruddahood.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: