Recall some of your favorite Timmy Chang moments

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Recall some of your favorite Timmy Chang moments

Post by BigWave96744 »

Let gather some great memories of Coach Timmy Chang.
For me it started in Feb 2000 when TC signed his letter of intent to play for Hawaii
Timmy Chang of St. Louis, considered the 21st-best quarterback in the country by Rivals.com., has verbally committed to the Rainbows.

Chang, named offensive player of the year on the Star-Bulletin's All-State football team, is one of 11 players on the elite squad who have indicated that they will play for the Rainbows.

"It's always been important to keep the local kids at home," said quarterback coach Dan Morrison. "The coaching staff knows that the football players here are and have been good and we want them to know that they are wanted here."
If there was an award for sportsmanship, Chang would claim that distinction, too.
"Timmy (Chang) is the most humble guy," St. Louis coach Cal Lee said. "He shies away from all the attention and gives credit to his teammates.

"He was never concerned about throwing more touchdowns or breaking local and national records. All that concerned him was winning the football game. He typifies the ultimate team player."

His statistics were not humble at all.

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound quarterback threw for 64 touchdowns, one shy of the national record held by J.R. House of Nitro (W.Va.). Chang also completed 273 of 439 passes for 4,039 yards.

Chang set Interscholastic League of Honolulu records for touchdowns (38) and passing yards (2,693) in the regular season, and touchdown passes in one game (8).

In December after Chang led St. Louis to the inaugural state football championship and was awarded the Dick Butkus Football Network's C. David Baker National High School Player of the Year award.
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2000/0 ... index.html

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Recall some of your favorite Timmy Chang moments

Post by poidog »

2003 vs Fresno St was one of Chang's most complete performances of his career. 40 of 60 passing, 5 TDs.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Gotta be the Michigan State comeback. Also Hawaii Bowl vs Houston, his first play off the bench a 50 yd TD bomb to Clifton Herbert.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:26 pm Gotta be the Michigan State comeback. Also Hawaii Bowl vs Houston, his first play off the bench a 50 yd TD bomb to Clifton Herbert.
+1. The Northwestern win that preceded Michigan State was a must win as well.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

the fact that this thread only has 4 posts is very telling! people have a complicated relationship with Timmy Chang as a concept. He had some good moments, and there were times where he went full "Wild Thing" from Major League and no one could figure out who he was throwing to, and he got benched because of it. The boos were really unfortunate, but he was frustrating to watch at times. And then there was the effort to break the passing record, which people had a hard time getting behind because it was only in play because of the redshirt year where he started 4 games before sitting out the remainder of the season. It became more of a measure of volume and opportunity than of excellence, and people had a hard time celebrating it as much as they should have. And then there's the fact that so many of his good games were instead amazing games by Chad Owens.

I think he'll be better remembered as a coach than player, when it's all said and done.
Last edited by poidog on Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I think I still have a "TC for Heisman" DVD in storage, also.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

My favorite moment is when he set the school record for INT 80. Nah nah just joking [-X

When he set the NCAA passing record at home then gave the ball to his dad.

Link

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

ulua wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:19 pm My favorite moment is when he set the school record for INT 80. Nah nah just joking [-X
hehe someone had to say it!

My friends and I had planned to go to the UH @ Fresno game in 2004. our plan was to fly to LA and pick up our friends and drive up, but we decided at the last minute that we didn't want to and we drove to vegas instead. what a good thing it was that we didn't go - the final was 70-14 and probably not as close as the score.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:26 pm Gotta be the Michigan State comeback. Also Hawaii Bowl vs Houston, his first play off the bench a 50 yd TD bomb to Clifton Herbert.
These are my favorite moments too. Timmy is not the goat. He was imperfect, but he always had that fight in him coming off of a knock-down. That moxy would inspire others too. We'll see how this guy has weathered the storm. Has it made him a better man or knocked him down a notch? If he's been knocked down, maybe we'll get that knock-down fight from him yet again.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Agree, Chang is NOT the GOAT15. This is no way in disrespect to Chang. Chang may be if #15 did not come along, SugarBowl, undefeated season, etc. But I don't think that matters in the hearts of UH fans.

Chang setting the records was a big deal. But all heard the saying that records are meant to be broken. Even Colt Brennan's records were broken. By who? Don't remember, because someone came later just to have that +1 or more to set a new record. It does not have the same feeling as when the first record was broken. And that's what Chang did.

Cliff: We remember the man who first ran the 1 minute mile. We don't remember all the guys that came after to broke his record.

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

For me, it's his last 4 games at UH. All four wins. Timmy had an up-and-down career. He had some big-time performances, as well as some really ugly games. He had some injuries which play a part in that. But in his last 4 games at UH, he and Owens put together one of the great runs I have ever seen at UH. Not to mention two wins over BIG10 schools and his second straight bowl win and bowl MVP performance. Timmy is often overlooked because of Colt and the 2006/2007 teams. But between 2002-2004 UH was pretty good and Timmy had a lot to do with it. At the end of the 2004 Hawaii bowl, you could see the tears in his eye as he was overcome with emotions at the end of his UH career. He bleeds green and white.

Last four game:
*Idaho - 376yd / 6 TD
*NU - 405yd / 4 TD
*MST - 416yd / 4 TD / 1 td rushing
*UAB - 405yd / 4 TD / 1 td rushing
Total for 4 games - 1602yd / 18 TD / 2 td rushing