Post by BigWave96744 »

https://twitter.com/1stDownDesign/status/1485332163566481409

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Da Braddahood

Post by RedZone »

I really like this one.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

"Braddahhood" Discussion

Post by cabanalane »

I like to know who (at UH) came up with Braddahhood" campaign? So simple, and yet means so much. One of those too easy things that I'm surprise no one thought of before.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Lawndale HS (CA.) RB Derek Boyd II signs

Post by kapakahi »

cabanalane wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:37 am I like to know who (at UH) came up with Braddahhood" campaign? So simple, and yet means so much. One of those too easy things that I'm surprise no one thought of before.
Timmy said that the players came up with it on their own.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

kapakahi wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:58 am
cabanalane wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:37 am I like to know who (at UH) came up with Braddahhood" campaign? So simple, and yet means so much. One of those too easy things that I'm surprise no one thought of before.
students and alumni have referred to the saint louis culture as the brotherhood almost forever. this covers everyone in academics and sports during school and after graduation. where there is one, there is brotherhood.

just saying. memor et fidelis.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Sounds like almost hard-core as the Marines. Semper Fidelis.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Normally I post only on the high school threads, but cabanalane's post was on the opening screen of Sportshawaii, so it caught my eye, and I've read the posts that followed it. I think one problem with the "Braddahhood"/brotherhood tag is that it might turn-off guys who aren't St Louis alumni. I mean, we all know that since St Louis is an all-boys school, students and alumni of that school see themselves all as "brothers". Nothing wrong with that, of course. And, of course, Chang himself is a St Louis alumnus. But, I think there's a danger that when we try to apply the "Braddahhood" term to UH, it might smack of insularity. After all, UH is UH, and St Louis School is St Louis School. I'm a UH alumnus, so I want the UH football team to get as many good players as they can from anywhere and everywhere. Strong football schools like Kahuku, Punahou, Kamehameha, and Mililani are rivals of St Louis. Since UH is coed, as are most colleges, "Braddahhood" doesn't really apply as much to UH as it does to St Louis. So, my concern is that we not turn-off players from other Oahu schools by making UH smack too much of St Louis. Nothing wrong with St Louis School, but we're talking about UH, and UH has to belong equally to alumni of all high schools. UH needs to attract good players from all high schools; we don't want to turn them off in any way by making one high school seem pre-eminent. After all, as a college, UH has to compete with a gazillion other colleges for good football players; UH needs to make all good high school players here feel equally welcome and appreciated, so that they would want to enroll at UH and go out for the football team. We can't afford any kind of insularity or clubbiness revolving around any one high school.

Go Bows.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I don't go to the high school football threads because I remember (go back to) how tough Roosevelt was, when you got Hawaiians from Papakolea as your pipeline for big, strong, and talented players. And you also get some big haole guys from the Manoa area who's parents don't believe in private schools (meaning they didn't go to Punahou.)

You have some great insight on UH football too. Stick around HS Football Fanatic.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

st808 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:52 am
kapakahi wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:58 am
students and alumni have referred to the saint louis culture as the brotherhood almost forever. this covers everyone in academics and sports during school and after graduation. where there is one, there is brotherhood.

just saying. memor et fidelis.
ok, maybe i laid it on too thick with the shoutout to st louis as the source for "bradahhood", because in reality just about every high school, college and professional football team boasts about their "brotherhood" formed by playing with each other against opponents. i don't see "braddahhood" as limiting recruiting as the construct is common in most team settings as with sisterhoods formed on girls' and women's sports.

i can see the u.h. marketing hoodies now with "braddah" scrawled across a u.h. stylized "h". or maybe someone reading this and a light going on $$$. like maybe "bra" stylized u.h "h" followed by "dah" written across the hood, which would make it a "brahdah" hood.

apologies, meant to quote "hs football fanatic" in this post.

uhwarriors

Re: "Braddahhood" Discussion

Post by uhwarriors »

The "Braddahhood" posts came out of a collaboration between a few players and the UH athletics sports media office. The snowballing participation and response exceeded what UH sophomore receiver Jonah Panoke expected when he helped get it rolling.

"A couple of my teammates and I, we thought it was a good thing to make a post for people to know that there are people on this team who were still excited to represent the University of Hawaii," Panoke told Spectrum News after a team training session on Friday.

"Everybody says brotherhood, and where we play and where we represent it’s unique, so we decided to correlate ‘Braddahhood,'" Panoke said. "That’s how we got that hashtag. With everything going on, with the coaches, with the incoming head coach, we thought this week would be a good week to get it out there, just to let people know that we’re excited for whoever it is."

Former UH backup quarterback Kamali‘i Akina, who finished his eligibility in 2021, is helping coordinate with the player quotes the accompany the posts, Panoke said.

Panoke’s post read, in part, “Hawaii is my home…. Come ride with us in 2022.”
Rest of article:
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/hi/hawaii ... th-program

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:10 pm I don't go to the high school football threads because I remember (go back to) how tough Roosevelt was, when you got Hawaiians from Papakolea as your pipeline for big, strong, and talented players. And you also get some big haole guys from the Manoa area who's parents don't believe in private schools (meaning they didn't go to Punahou.)

You have some great insight on UH football too. Stick around HS Football Fanatic.
@cabanalane:

Well, the Hawaiian pipeline to Roosevelt High hasn't dried-up completely. Look at DE Akana; he's probably the top recruit in the state. I don't know if he's from Papakolea, but he's Hawaiian and he goes to Roosevelt. Today you don't have as many haole kids going to Roosevelt. I mean, they're there, but they're at just about every high school on Oahu, too.

Thanks for asking me to stick-around on this UH thread. Again, I'm a UH alumnus, but I hang-out on the high school threads.