So who do you want as HC?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

So who do you want as HC?

Post by Irse »

Mine in order:
Stutz - long shot since he is not vaxxed. Wish it wouldn't be an issue.
Batoon - Wasn't too impressed with his D when he was here but has had good defenses lately. Not sure if he can recruit though.
Banker - Long time coach and has ties to the islands. Little old though
Tuioti - Up and comer.

Due to our restricted budget, our possible candidates are not that impressive. I would prefer someone who has coached here before since we have so many cost-prohibitive issues with the program. Even TG was complaining about them I guess he didn't do his research before applying and Matlin must not have told him about them.

I would be okay with JJ only if he has a successor to train.
ImageImage

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: So who do you want as HC?

Post by gpmcconnell »

Irse wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:08 am Mine in order:
Batoon - Wasn't too impressed with his D when he was here but has had good defenses lately. Not sure if he can recruit though.
Tuioti - Up and comer.

Due to our restricted budget, our possible candidates are not that impressive. I would prefer someone who has coached here before since we have so many cost-prohibitive issues with the program. Even TG was complaining about them I guess he didn't do his research before applying and Matlin must not have told him about them.

I like all of those but my order is below:

1. Rolo
2. Stutz or Brian Smith
3. Timmy Chang
4. Adrian Klemm
5. Lewis Powell
6. Daronte Jones

Legit anyone besides June Jones or Miano or Anae and I’ll be happy

Irse

Post by Irse »

gpmcconnell wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:51 am
Irse wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:08 am Mine in order:
Tuioti - Up and comer.

I like all of those but my order is below:

1. Rolo
2. Stutz or Brian Smith
3. Timmy Chang
4. Adrian Klemm
5. Lewis Powell
6. Daronte Jones

Legit anyone besides June Jones or Miano or Anae and I’ll be happy
Daronte Jones would be interesting but he's probably making 2 or 3 times what we would pay.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I would really like to see JJ come back out of retirement and bring energy back into the program. Jeff Tedford was lured back to Fresno although he had medically retired in 2019 and the QB came back out of the transfer portal. The other names don't seem like they would be quick fixes but work in progress.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

How far back do we want to dig into their past? Are we going to hold it against him when UH is 6-7?

Chang used to get into trouble during is post-playing days. The best thing for him was to move to the mainland, and focus on something - football. We call that growing up.

Miano created BS Education programs so he can bus in Poly players that are out of district. He was the GOAT at Kaiser. Kaiser will never match Miano's record. That was playing "by the rules" (but cheating in another way - IMO)

If doing their "research" about past candidates is something we accuse AD did not do on TG, then UH should dig deeper into their past, no?

Irse

Post by Irse »

I think I change my mind now. Need a quick fix, so JJ would be my pick. But short term only. He needs to groom someone to take over.
ImageImage

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

No Brainer= June Jones.
June knows how to rebuild and recruit in one of the toughest political support and recruiting environments in college football. And he already proved that when he exits, the coaches he groomed (June Jones Coaching Tree) can be elevated upwards within the program. June Jones has National respect, understands the Hawaii culture and has built many connections in the NFL, CFL, XFL and College Football.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

If you had JJ for a year or two, you can look at possible candidates like Jeff Ulbrich who is now the DC for the Jets or someone who can bring this program back to revitalize the program. I don't believe JJ ever tried to sell the program by saying they were going to take the WAC but he sold the program by saying things about the players like saying one of his lineman could be in the pros from high school or Chad Owens was the best returner in the nation. He sold the kids on the program and did not make projections on W-L.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

After seeing that JJ would take the job I am all for it. Great eye for talent. I liked how he took Klemm and moved him to tackle. He wouldn’t have a hard time finding assistants. He created the JJ foundation. High school coaches know him. He knows what to expect from UH Admin and state politicians. He knows what he is doing. I will vote for him if he runs for governor.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

I said it in my thread.

June Jones or bust.

There is no other candidate that will bring proven assets and skill to take on this very very broken program right now. In addition to the X's and O's he will bring, he will also generate an excitement and optimism that no other candidate will bring. It's as simple as that.

With JJ, comes MIano, alums, proven success everywhere he has stopped. And he loves Hawaii and Polynesia. While some of you like to disparage his name (mostly on false claims), his brand is respected and popular as ever in Hawaii and Polynesia. All other coaches that have been mentioned bring their own qualities. But in terms of how they would do inheriting the broken, post todd Graham UH is largely speculative and hopeful at best. June Jones can and will fix this ish. And now we read that he is interested???? Brahhhh. NO brainah.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

bigislandkurt wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:06 pm I said it in my thread.

June Jones or bust.

There is no other candidate that will bring proven assets and skill to take on this very very broken program right now. In addition to the X's and O's he will bring, he will also generate an excitement and optimism that no other candidate will bring. It's as simple as that.

With JJ, comes MIano, alums, proven success everywhere he has stopped. And he loves Hawaii and Polynesia. While some of you like to disparage his name (mostly on false claims), his brand is respected and popular as ever in Hawaii and Polynesia. All other coaches that have been mentioned bring their own qualities. But in terms of how they would do inheriting the broken, post todd Graham UH is largely speculative and hopeful at best. June Jones can and will fix this ish. And now we read that he is interested???? Brahhhh. NO brainah.
Anyone see how it ended at SMU? Times are different in college football now, we need someone who has been in the game.

Jeff Ulbrich would be a dream but way too much $$

FatJeff
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by FatJeff »

I’d like JJ as HC with Timmy Chang as OC. The idea would be JJ would be grooming Timmy to take over in a couple years. No ideas for a DC yet. Excitement, hope, and never underestimate the value of nostalgia.

And for goodness sake, recruit Kahuku for once!

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

FatJeff wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:20 pm I’d like JJ as HC with Timmy Chang as OC. The idea would be JJ would be grooming Timmy to take over in a couple years. No ideas for a DC yet. Excitement, hope, and never underestimate the value of nostalgia.

And for goodness sake, recruit Kahuku for once!

Timmy Chang as head coach in waiting doesn’t really make sense because if he does a good job as OC he will to leave for a higher paying job. And make no mistake June Jones won’t give up power as head coach unless things go terribly wrong.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I like JJ, primarily because I think that he can fix many of the issues with the team after this dumpster fire. But Matlin is his own man, and I seriously doubt that Matlin will hire JJ. Battle of the egos.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

My first pick would be Rolo but I doubt he gets any consideration with his vax status. So my first pick is the obvious, June Jones, just hire him and be done with it.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum