BYUH-Manoa?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

BYUH-Manoa?

Post by BigWave96744 »

Multiple BYU Coaches Reportedly Linked to Open Head Coaching Position at Hawaii
BYU assistant head coach and special teams coordinator Ed Lamb was linked to the job shortly after the news broke. ESPN's Adam Rittenberg reported that Lamb "finished second for the job two years ago."

Lamb, who also coaches safeties for the Cougars, has been responsible for recruiting the Hawaiian islands during his tenure at BYU. Lamb has recruiting connections beyond the island of O'ahu - where most FBS schools recruit. In 2020, for example, Lamb traveled to the island of Hawai'i to recruit defensive end prospect Alex Muti. Muti eventually signed with BYU as part of the 2020 signing class.

On Saturday morning, The Athletic reported that the list of candidates to replace Graham "starts with BYU special teams coordinator Ed Lamb, who was a finalist for the job when Graham was hired."

The Athletic also listed BYU defensive coordinator Ilaisa Tuiaki as a candidate for the job. Tuiaki came to BYU with Kalani Sitake in 2016. In six years at BYU, Tuiaki has coordinated three defenses that finished in the top 25 in scoring defense (2016, 2018, 2020).

Should either Lamb or Tuiaki be offered the head coaching job at Hawaii, they could bring a few BYU assistant coaches with them. We will monitor this situation as it continues to progress.

BigWave96744

Re: BYU-Manoa?

Post by BigWave96744 »

Robert Anae, played OlIne at BYU and coached at BYU on 3 occasions from GA to OC
Of Anae, Vannini wrote that Hawaii had asked him to apply for the job that Graham was ultimately hired for. Noting that Virginia’s passing offense finished second in the country in 2021, Vannini wrote of Anae, “He pulled out of the Hawaii search last time, choosing to stick with Bronco Mendenhall at UVa. Maybe he gives it another look.”

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:14 pm
BYU assistant head coach and special teams coordinator Ed Lamb was linked to the job shortly after the news broke. ESPN's Adam Rittenberg reported that Lamb "finished second for the job two years ago."

Lamb, who also coaches safeties for the Cougars, has been responsible for recruiting the Hawaiian islands during his tenure at BYU. Lamb has recruiting connections beyond the island of O'ahu - where most FBS schools recruit. In 2020, for example, Lamb traveled to the island of Hawai'i to recruit defensive end prospect Alex Muti. Muti eventually signed with BYU as part of the 2020 signing class.

On Saturday morning, The Athletic reported that the list of candidates to replace Graham "starts with BYU special teams coordinator Ed Lamb, who was a finalist for the job when Graham was hired."

The Athletic also listed BYU defensive coordinator Ilaisa Tuiaki as a candidate for the job. Tuiaki came to BYU with Kalani Sitake in 2016. In six years at BYU, Tuiaki has coordinated three defenses that finished in the top 25 in scoring defense (2016, 2018, 2020).

Should either Lamb or Tuiaki be offered the head coaching job at Hawaii, they could bring a few BYU assistant coaches with them. We will monitor this situation as it continues to progress.
What the heck? A special teams coach is the top candidate for HC? Guess that's what happens when shopping with welfare budget.

In my humble opinion, we need a OC with a specialized O bc we can't recruit to line up and push opponents around.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Well, if we get a lousy hire, I guess the person to blame is the same person who couldn't control this fiasco when it first started. Matlin's true colors showed with his inability to handle adversity both with the coach and then at the hearing. All he and Lassner could point to was the positive testimony/transfer portal and unwillingness to address some of the issues. Way too defensive. I think that Hawaii has a great opportunity to develop a great program considering all the negativity that has occurred in the past months. Lots of kids out there that don't have scholarships because of the Covid situation in 2020 allowing for 5th and 6th year seniors. My take is that they have an executive search group who are involved in the interviews for head coach including all the major stakeholders which include but not limited to, a student representative (preferably a student athlete), a respected alumni, a respected member of the business community and UH supporter, along with the administrative staff at UH.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:16 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:14 pm

What the heck? A special teams coach is the top candidate for HC? Guess that's what happens when shopping with welfare budget.

In my humble opinion, we need a OC with a specialized O bc we can't recruit to line up and push opponents around.
Don’t sleep on ST coaches. John Harbaugh, coach of the Ravens was a ST coach for better part of two decades at various levels of football before becoming Ravens head coach.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:22 am Well, if we get a lousy hire, I guess the person to blame is the same person who couldn't control this fiasco when it first started. Matlin's true colors showed with his inability to handle adversity both with the coach and then at the hearing. All he and Lassner could point to was the positive testimony/transfer portal and unwillingness to address some of the issues. Way too defensive. I think that Hawaii has a great opportunity to develop a great program considering all the negativity that has occurred in the past months. Lots of kids out there that don't have scholarships because of the Covid situation in 2020 allowing for 5th and 6th year seniors. My take is that they have an executive search group who are involved in the interviews for head coach including all the major stakeholders which include but not limited to, a student representative (preferably a student athlete), a respected alumni, a respected member of the business community and UH supporter, along with the administrative staff at UH.
Last time a “executive search group” happened we got Chow. People like to blame Matlin, but he was the one that hired Rolo who got us out of the Chow ball mess.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:15 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:22 am Well, if we get a lousy hire, I guess the person to blame is the same person who couldn't control this fiasco when it first started. Matlin's true colors showed with his inability to handle adversity both with the coach and then at the hearing. All he and Lassner could point to was the positive testimony/transfer portal and unwillingness to address some of the issues. Way too defensive. I think that Hawaii has a great opportunity to develop a great program considering all the negativity that has occurred in the past months. Lots of kids out there that don't have scholarships because of the Covid situation in 2020 allowing for 5th and 6th year seniors. My take is that they have an executive search group who are involved in the interviews for head coach including all the major stakeholders which include but not limited to, a student representative (preferably a student athlete), a respected alumni, a respected member of the business community and UH supporter, along with the administrative staff at UH.
Last time a “executive search group” happened we got Chow. People like to blame Matlin, but he was the one that hired Rolo who got us out of the Chow ball mess.
Into this one.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The last former BYU football coach at Hawaii was a disaster.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

Might as well rehire norm chow and bring back the pro style and hire ikaika Wolsey as the OC

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

RedZone wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:29 am
Into this one.
The search committee recommended Dirk Koetter. Expecting the recommendation to be approved, the press ran the story. But VP Rockne Freitas and Pres. MCR Greenwood nixed it and we got Chow.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

uhwarriors wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:52 pm

Into this one.
The search committee recommended Dirk Koetter. Expecting the recommendation to be approved, the press ran the story. But VP Rockne Freitas and Pres. MCR Greenwood nixed it and we got Chow.
This is interesting. It would be nice to get a successful OC or DC with ties to the islands that's looking for an opportunity.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

uhwarriors wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:52 pm

Into this one.
Thanks for correction now I remember that’s what happened.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:17 am The last former BYU football coach at Hawaii was a disaster.
Agreed. No more BYU coaches.
ImageImage