June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job

Post by WarriorTyme »

This is a pivotal point in Hawaii Football, the #braddahhood was started because the young Football Warriors believed that Matlin was going to do the right thing for their future, by giving them a chance to be coached by June Jones and some of the legends that built this house! 2 years is way too short, 3-4 years should be enough to hand the reigns over to Timmy Chang and he can carry the torch. Let June Jones pick and choose his own staff and when the time comes for June to pass on the torch? Just like with McMackin, hire from within and elevate Timmy Chang to head coach.

Matlin you are shortchanging the program, the fans and the #braddahhood movement. Offer June Jones a contract that makes more sense, then everyone wins. Negotiate for the win-win, not the lose-lose.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

According to KHON2 news in a statement Jones said he is still interested in the job and that no one on their right mind would accept whatever it is Marlin was proposing.

Hopefully they can meet again and come an agreement.

C’mon Matlin make it happen for the sake of the school and the football program!
"I am still interested in this job for the people of Hawaii but the job offered to me today there is no way I could accept the conditions offered me," Jones wrote in his post. "No coach in their right mind would accept!"
https://www.espn.com/college-football/ ... atform=amp
Last edited by ulua on Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

https://twitter.com/coachjunejones/stat ... 18721?s=21

https://twitter.com/coachjunejones/stat ... 407360?s=2

Right now I’m sick to my stomach with Matlin and the higher ups. If they wanna put UH to the ground, then just drop football and be a man about it instead of these dumb decisions.

Termite22
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Termite22 »

I am not surprised by what has transpired you have an AD that wants to call the shots. An head coach that is willing to help the program but can’t pick his own assistant coaches. And to add insult Jones is told to have a succession plan to have someone (Timmy Chang) take over the program. If I’m correct sounds like age discrimination and an insult to Jones intelligence.He has being around football for a while and I’m sure he has a plan in mind going forward. His recommendation who should take over as head coach when he decides on his own terms when to hang it up. Just my to cents.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

I’m hoping and I know it’s a long shot.
But like some one mentioned earlier I hope that this is all a down play to the leakage that said Jones was the next HC of UH to avoid any penalties due to him coaching the Polynesian Bowl and that come Sunday he is the HC.
Ike I said this is probably reaching way out into space. Hey anything is possible

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

Here’s a interview video of June Jones. He said he’s willing to take a 5 year contract and if they want to fire him with no penalty he would accept that. Why is Matlin soooooo dumb????

https://twitter.com/c_shimabuku/status/ ... 44994?s=21

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

couz808 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:56 pm Here’s a interview video of June Jones. He said he’s willing to take a 5 year contract and if they want to fire him with no penalty he would accept that. Why is Matlin soooooo dumb????

He's definitely not a genius. I could have written a speech for him after the Twitter fiasco last year that was better than the one he gave. I could have written a better response for him before the legislature. Just a weak sister.

HawaiiToNIU
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiToNIU »

couz808 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:56 pm Here’s a interview video of June Jones. He said he’s willing to take a 5 year contract and if they want to fire him with no penalty he would accept that. Why is Matlin soooooo dumb????

This is disrespect to a Hawaii legend. He's not wrong. Who would take a two year job? What kid will commit to a two year system? This isn't setting anyone, himself or his successor up for success.

Who would work at a place that gives you the deal of "we will give you two years to train your replacement... After that, you're fired!!! Regardless of performance on you or your successor."

WarriorMojo
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by WarriorMojo »

Some of you guys need to think a little more carefully about why Matlin is taking the position he is in my opinion. Seriously, do you think he wants UH football to fail? That's ridiculous. Should we just give JJ a 10 year contract and let him write in whatever salaries he wants for himself and his assistants and whatever expenditures for facilities? This is a NEGOTIATION and Matlin has a duty to manage operations in UH's best interests. He cannot agree to salary ranges for assistants and infrastructure improvements without funding from the Leg, who last I saw, was busy trying to set up UH for a law suit.

The three year term offered? Isn't that standard these days in coaching contracts? If JJ replicates 2006-2007-2008 or even 1999 and wants to extend, would Matlin force him out? No way. That's crazy. And what if JJ wasn't successful in improving things? We would be faced with buying out the remnants of a five year contract with even less money to do so. I think JJ is the best hire at this point, but it's NOT a sure thing he'll succeed. Not without a stadium and ticket revenue.

And as for staff hiring input? If Matlin had demanded absolute veto power over all hires, I would understand JJ's position to some extent. But if Matlin just wanted some oversight or input, what's wrong with that? We all just got over bitching about TG hiring Bo as OC. And as Duster said, what if JJ wanted to hire C. Stutz, BR Stutz, and Rolo despite their refusal to get vaxxed. Matlin HAS to try to anticipate and avoid those kind of problems. I can imagine JJ just saying "Oh, that's BS" but it's really NOT. Remember, at UH JJ hired a staff of coaches who refused to go out to recruit (Mouse, Glanville, McKnight, even JJ himself. Guys like Suan, the Lee Brothers and the former O-line coach after Cav (forget his name) were not known for flying all over to recruit. We CANNOT have that type of situation recur. ESPECIALLY in Hawaii, coaches gotta be willing to fly all the time to recruit. They also gotta be familiar with social media, texting, Zoom, etc. Coming at this issue from the other direction, is JJ concerned that Matlin would try to force him to sign someone incompetent or otherwise inappropriate? There's NO way. Matlin wants the program to succeed as much as anyone.

The situation is dire. Time is wasting. As I've posted earlier, I think JJ is the best guy of the known candidates for the job at this time. But that doesn't mean Matlin should throw every other consideration to the wind. JJ shouldn't have taken this to Twitter. Not at this point. He should have walked away and let it stew. He knows he has the inside track and he knows Matlin thinks so too. By going public like this, he makes it that much harder for Matlin to accommodate his demands (Steinberg not doing his job again).

Just saw the posts about JJ being willing to accept a 5 year contract with a unilateral termination clause. If that can be reduced to language in the contract, Matlin should jump on that. But that is not easy language to incorporate and would have to pass legal review by a number of entities, including HGEA I believe.
UH Warrior fan for life, baby!

Arcumfortis
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Arcumfortis »

It seems to me the AD is simply in over his head here. It must have been a rough time trying to swim through the Graham mess. If the AD let’s JJ walk away he will get the Herman Frazier memorial award. If JJ’s statement is accurate that no coach would accept the terms he was offered then it is an insult. Should JJ speak publicly? Not sure. But if you want a coach that is going to cower I guess you better not hire JJ. Hire a nice submissive type who lets you choose their staff and while you’re signing the contract kiss the program goodbye.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

I don't know how Matlin still has a job after the insulting offer to June Jones? If June Jones is not hired I will be on the fire Matlin bandwagon. If Matlin promised Timmy Chang the job or owe some favors by giving Timmy Chang the job, which I suspect happened behind closed doors. Nobody that is involved with the hiring in any official capacity would contact/call a candidate to apply for a Government job that could cause potentially be an EEO hiring infraction on the Merit-based system? Then intentionally sabotages the negotiations by in bad faith offering an unprecedented contract that has never been done before at UH for a Head Football coach? Does this sound illegal? Think about it?

No, 3 years is not the standard term for head coaches in FBS, it's 5 years. June Jones said he would be willing to take a no buyout clause and Matlin could fire him at any time during his 5 year contract. And every head coach has the ability to hire the assistants they determine are qualified? But not in this case because apparently June Jones is a first time Head Coach that coaches tight end/WR for Colorado State, right?! But going to the media shows that Matlin is negotiating in bad faith and look how fast Matlin post on the UH site that June Jones didn't accept his ridiculous offer? Because Matlin wanted to say, Oh well I offered he declined, next! That was a smart move on June Jones and his agent to let the media know that Matlin is negotiating in bad faith. June Jones agent has negotiated with professional league front offices and knows when someone is not on the up and up and lets the media know why its not on the up and up.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

WarriorMojo wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:16 pm

The three year term offered? Isn't that standard these days in coaching contracts?
They offered him 2 years. Pretty unheard of.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

i was not aware of a conflict of interest with jones coaching in the polynesian bowl and his being named as the u.h. coach. if this is just kabuki, great. sunday will be a good day. february second is a hard deadline, though, so if there is no announcement this sunday, i hope there is an opening for renegotiations. after all there is nothing written in stone, here.

sixteen years ago, jones led hawaii on a magical tour de force securing a national ranking and a sugar bowl game in new orleans. the u.h. ad, frasier, began hawaii's fall from national rankings and led us to matlin now refusing to give jones the keys to ching field.

jones will bring in winning coaches, he will motivate players, fill the stands and bring food and drink to the ching.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Why offer a coach like Jones a succession plan?
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

June Jones is a total disgrace. I have been getting dragged all week for being against him but today he really shows his true colors. What an ego this guy has on him. How unprofessional can someone be to go to Twitter with his grievances? I’m so sick of everyone acting like he a Nick Saban.

Do you people remember when he tried to hire Art Briles as OC 2 years ago to his CFL team? Maybe the AD is right to want to have say over his hires.