June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: JUNE JONES OR BUST!

Post by shrek2 »

Even if Matlin hires June Jones, he should find another job. This situation with Graham was terrible. He needed to address the problem early to avoid making it a circus. He used Graham to address the problem. Weak. Having the potential abuser address the abuse claims.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Think about this. What if June bring Art Briles as his OC as he planned to do in the CFL. Then Bring Timmy as the QB coach to be groomed to take over at UH
https://www.sportshawaii.com/sh/viewtop ... =1&t=49793

Art is coaching a High School team in Texas.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1483919710123036674 https://twitter.com/Brian_McInnis/status/1483918641523347456

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:01 pm Think about this. What if June bring Art Briles as his OC as he planned to do in the CFL. Then Bring Timmy as the QB coach to be groomed to take over at UH

Didn't Briles have some issues at Baylor? Too lazy to look it up right now.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:48 pm
BigWave96744 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:01 pm Think about this. What if June bring Art Briles as his OC as he planned to do in the CFL. Then Bring Timmy as the QB coach to be groomed to take over at UH

Didn't Briles have some issues at Baylor? Too lazy to look it up right now.
Huge issues follow him. Helped cover up sexual assault cases at Baylor and was fired. At the Texas HS, they were sanctioned for using ineligible players and coaches.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:52 am Even if Matlin hires June Jones, he should find another job. This situation with Graham was terrible. He needed to address the problem early to avoid making it a circus. He used Graham to address the problem. Weak. Having the potential abuser address the abuse claims.
Address to what degree? What will satisfy the mob? Matlin addressed the team without the coaches almost right after the twitter space. What else did you want him to do without first investigating said claims? Keep in mind there are some student privacy issues involved.

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:20 pm
shrek2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:52 am Even if Matlin hires June Jones, he should find another job. This situation with Graham was terrible. He needed to address the problem early to avoid making it a circus. He used Graham to address the problem. Weak. Having the potential abuser address the abuse claims.
Address to what degree? What will satisfy the mob? Matlin addressed the team without the coaches almost right after the twitter space. What else did you want him to do without first investigating said claims? Keep in mind there are some student privacy issues involved.
Just my thoughts…David Matlin is a decent leader, but his leadership style does not deal well with confrontation. He’s more the behind the scenes kind of leader and has to work hard to be an extrovert. He needs to be out front or appoint someone to be out front to address public issues. I have no doubt he’s an astute person and understands the bottom line. Sometimes you gotta get off your okole to answer the questions the public wants/needs to know — minus privacy concerns. It should have NEVER gone to the State Senators. He was also caught flat footed during the State Public hearing. He read, and not eloquently I might add, his statement. Good dude, just needs the right teammates around him.

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

202Warrior wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:40 pm
Just my thoughts…David Matlin is a decent leader, but his leadership style does not deal well with confrontation. He’s more the behind the scenes kind of leader and has to work hard to be an extrovert. He needs to be out front or appoint someone to be out front to address public issues. I have no doubt he’s an astute person and understands the bottom line. Sometimes you gotta get off your okole to answer the questions the public wants/needs to know — minus privacy concerns. It should have NEVER gone to the State Senators. He was also caught flat footed during the State Public hearing. He read, and not eloquently I might add, his statement. Good dude, just needs the right teammates around him.
For the record….I don’t think I could do his job and I don’t think he should be fired. Introverts can lead well too!

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

202Warrior wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:44 pm
202Warrior wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:40 pm

For the record….I don’t think I could do his job and I don’t think he should be fired. Introverts can lead well too!
As a fellow introvert I agree. Just cause people don't see us doing things doesn't mean nothing is being done.

WarriorMojo
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by WarriorMojo »

I'm not the world's biggest JJ fan. Not close. But at the same time, I fully acknowledge what he brings to the program. He specializes in rebuilding programs that are in shambles. He also brings instant name recognition and credibility. I can just hear Neal Everett bragging about his return to UH on Sports Center. That kind of thing is EXACTLY what UH needs right now.

There are times in life to take chances and reach for the unexpected. I wanted to hire Rolo when Mack left and I wanted to hire Stutz when Rolo left. Those would both have been reach picks at the time as both guys were probably not quite ready. TG was a reach pick, but I can understand why Matlin went that way. TG had a name. He did have a history of coaching success at a high level. And I'm sure he talked a good story about learning from his past mistakes, about having time to reflect on how he'd be better, about promising to BE better. UH has a history of giving second chances, right? I mean Colt, Davone, Pisa and on and on. So I don't fault Matlin there, at least not entirely.

But TG didn't work out for a number of reasons. We all have our thoughts as to why and where he failed. But TG was NOT totally horrible. The team was competitive. He opened up recruiting pipelines to Texas and other areas. There have been no real team discipline -- as opposed to morale -- issues as far as I know. The team hung together and played for each other. Significantly, many players apparently did not view the situation being as bad as others. And the team accomplished all of that during covid, without a stadium, and without fans in attendance at games. I don't care what anyone says, that's not half bad.

But TG is now gone and the program is floundering. We need somebody to stabilize the program, to provide a team identity, and to get some positive publicity. And we need somebody to get the job done WITHOUT fail. This absolutely has to be a sure thing this time, not a reach. Well, JJ, in all his JJ arrogance, is perfect for that role. He will satisfy the "local" element (most of it at least) and will restore an offensive identity. He will ignore the detractors which, in this instance, is a good thing.

And there are many detractors indeed. Part of why the program is in dire straits is specifically due to that Senate hearing in my opinion. I hope EVERYONE reading this is as pissed about that hearing as I was. That was NOT a fact finding hearing. Rather, that hearing was orchestrated to attack TG and, even more, to attack UH Athletics in general. The testimony was cherry picked to place UH in the worst light possible.

Seriously, what did the covid vax issue that Uahinui raise have to do with TG? That's not even a UH issue, much less a TG issue. It's a State issue. So WHY was that testimony cherry picked?

The Wahine bball player who allegedly got her scholarship revoked because she was injured and not getting treatment? Matlin absolutely denied that happened, but in any case what does that have to do with TG or UH football?

Eletise's CTE/TI issue or whatever. He played at Arizona for three years before transferring back. He was my favorite interior O-lineman in 2019-20, but I don't recall him sustaining a head injury. Was it in practice, I dunno. In any case what did the Eletise family expect the coach (an assistant, not TG) to do when they complained? I don't think any coach can diagnose an injury or prescribe medical treatment for a player. That would have to come from a team doctor. Did they not understand that? Was the coach too stupid to tell them that? Who diagnosed the CTE/TBI condition in the first place? Why did that person not prescribe treatment? Did an insurance company deny treatment? SO many questions about why that issue was cherry picked for this hearing.

Also, Senator Kim kept going on and on about UH not attending to athletes' mental health issues. Where did that come from? I know what Dae Dae said when he announced his transfer, but I've not heard anything about that being an issue otherwise so how did it become a focus of the hearing? Again makes no sense unless it was to set UH up for not providing adequate medical care to athletes. And who in the world benefits from making a claim like that...

... oh, yes, here comes Michael Green, Esq. An attorney who would sue his grandma if he could make a buck out of it. For him it's not personal. It's just business. But you guys do know he has said that he wants to sue the State over covid vax mandates, right? Nothing better than to combine a covid vax suit with allegations of improper medical care by UH Athletics. I hope I'm wrong about the possibility of suit, but I'm certain there was a distinct agenda of some kind at play during that hearing and it was absolutely NOT to benefit UH. Hope you guys see that too.

But back to JJ. JJ can rescue programs. We know that. He will provide instant name recognition and stability even if just for a short term. He is also arrogant enough to ignore heat from politicians or to throw it right back at them. Still waiting for the Senate hearing on how Aloha Stadium was allowed to become structurally unsound due to YEARS of unfunded maintenance and without a replacement even in the design stage. Senate can't blame Matlin or TG for that one. Oh, but football is still supposed to fund all the other sports? WITHOUT any TICKET REVENUE? Sure, Dela Cruz, Fevella, Mercado Kim and Wakai. Let's see how YOU'D accomplish that. It's EASY to issue orders and demand OTHERS do stuff.

Anyway, if JJ is the guy, these things need to happen in my opinion:

1. Hire/retain an excellent NCAA compliance officer. Tsai has said Amanda Paterson is that person. If so, great. Assuming she is still there, make sure she is retained and continues to have supervisory authority consistent with her position. We don't need no rubber stamps.

2. Hire an excellent Director of Scouting. We cannot have a return of situations where coaches don't know if they have authority to offer scholies or if UH even has scholies available. No more getting sued for pulling scholies that don't exist. ALL offers, scholies, PWOs, recruiting visits, etc. should be run through this person. Everything.

3. Hire a great O-line coach. Coach Cav, where are you?
UH Warrior fan for life, baby!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:59 am All these predictions are valid. The past does not always equal the future. (Wait...TG,nevermind).

I like the JJ choice too. It looks like he already has a plan and can "get to work" ASAP.

When Chow was hired, I was expecting PAC12 2.0. None of the Assistants came to join Chow. When Rolo was hired, he had his guys (and took his guys with him). That's a plan.

If we are wanting to rebuild the program, I have to agree with some of you that JJ is the best choice.

Past does not always equal the future. We all change (as we get older). Timmy Chang was a moke. That's not him anymore.
this is such an odd situation and the solution is unique. after Chow was canned, I was very against JJ coming back. We didn't need him back then. We kind of need him and what he brings with him now.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

poidog wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:02 pm
cabanalane wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:59 am All these predictions are valid. The past does not always equal the future. (Wait...TG,nevermind).

I like the JJ choice too. It looks like he already has a plan and can "get to work" ASAP.

When Chow was hired, I was expecting PAC12 2.0. None of the Assistants came to join Chow. When Rolo was hired, he had his guys (and took his guys with him). That's a plan.

If we are wanting to rebuild the program, I have to agree with some of you that JJ is the best choice.

Past does not always equal the future. We all change (as we get older). Timmy Chang was a moke. That's not him anymore.
this is such an odd situation and the solution is unique. after Chow was canned, I was very against JJ coming back. We didn't need him back then. We kind of need him and what he brings with him now.
Me too. I was glad we got Rlo. We need June now.
ImageImage

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

bigislandkurt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:50 am
gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:56 pm It’s becoming a situation where if June isn’t named the coach there will be a revolt which I am strongly against and really blame JJ for. Shame on him for what he is pulling. Talk to some SMU folks, they will tell you about JJ.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just stop already. You made your point. You hate June Jones and that is it. We get it.

Like you, I too have made my point clear. There is no better choice than JJ to fix this broken UH program. I support him 1,000% +1. And given his title as the most successful coach at UH ever, it should be no surprise (nor fault) that all news media will be all over JJ for his thoughts and intentions. To shape it all as "What he is pulling," simply illustrates your personal hatred towards the man and his success. I believe the operative statement is....haters gonna hate. :lol:

Bring it on! JJ 2.0 at UH.
It’s not that I dislike June Jones or Miano, I appreciate what they did for the program. But unlike you I think the program can do better than guys that have t coached college of nfl in years. You people act like June Jones is Nick Saban.

And I also strongly disagree with they June has publicly lobbied for the job. As I said, he is putting the AD in an impossible situation.if he actually cared about the direction of the program he wouldn’t have done that to the AD.

But to state clearly, I would support June if he was named head coach. I’m the biggest fan in the east coast of this program and really just hope for better times.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

“National Letter of Intent Day is on Feb. 2,” said UH spokesperson Dan Meisenzahl. “We need to get this position filled as soon as possible.”

So soon that the state’s largest public worker union, of which coaches are members, had to sign off on an exception to the 10-day minimum university job posting requirement.

“Given the nature of Coach Graham’s departure and the need to get a head coach in place quickly as recruiting is critical, the HGEA agreed with UH to waive the normal vacancy posting period in favor of an expedited 5-day posting,” said HGEA Executive Director Randy Perreira.
https://www.khon2.com/always-investigat ... placement/
https://twitter.com/KHONnews/status/1484025669008773121

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 pm
kapakahi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:33 pm
Irse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:16 pm Looks like June is really pushing for the job

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/01/ ... -uh-coach/
Must've tried the more subtle approach with Matlin the last 2 times (when Chow got fired & when Rolo took the Wazzu job)....'cuz he never made any public statements then.....which turned out to be unsuccessful for him....so would make good sense to try a different approach this time around.
gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:27 pm Also I am the only one who thinks it’s unprofessional and wrong for him to public ally push for the job? He really put Matlin in a really bad spot. Really just shows his character, which I would say is lacking at best.
gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:56 pm It’s becoming a situation where if June isn’t named the coach there will be a revolt which I am strongly against and really blame JJ for. Shame on him for what he is pulling. Talk to some SMU folks, they will tell you about JJ.
No doubt that JJ is definitely taking a different not-so-subtle approach this time around by making openly public statements to gain public support which probably exerts external pressure on Matlin (who is solely responsible for selecting the next UH FB HC)....instead of limiting his discussions to private conversations with Matlin which were obviously unsuccessful the last 2 times he evidently had interest in the applying for the UH FB HC position.

Regardless of JJ's public comments, Matlin cannot afford to make another mistake in hiring the next UH HC this time around....otherwise it might end up being his last opportunity as UH AD to hire the UH FB HC.

I agree that Matlin needs to perform his due diligence research for all prospective HC candidates (including checking with SMU who still has the same AD from JJ's last 3 seasons there) more thoroughly than he evidently researched with ASU (who still has the same AD from Graham's last 3 seasons there when the same verbal abuse issues were claimed by players resulting in starters transferring out) before hiring Graham as the new UH FB HC.
gpmcconnell wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:32 pm And I also strongly disagree with they June has publicly lobbied for the job. As I said, he is putting the AD in an impossible situation.if he actually cared about the direction of the program he wouldn’t have done that to the AD.

But to state clearly, I would support June if he was named head coach. I’m the biggest fan in the east coast of this program and really just hope for better times.
I completely understand that JJ isn't everyone's (and especially your) "cup of tea".....but his "style" in how he carries himself and what & how he says things is really a matter of personal preference....that is not really relevant in comparison to the higher priority issues currently facing UH's football program and the new HC.

I just hope that Matlin is thick-skinned and doesn't let his personal preferences dictate the HC selection process.