June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: JUNE JONES OR BUST!

Post by kapakahi »

JJ probably just wants to right the ship....which could take at least 3 seasons...while grooming his own replacement. Given the damage with so many starters transferring out (in addition to the amount of graduating seniors), the program simply doesn't have the luxury of time to bring in a brand-new first-time HC to start with the cupboard almost bare (with the few returning full-time & part-time starters going to be seniors for the 2022 season - Bowens, Manning, Parson, Pavihi, Phillips, B. Ta'ala, Tanuvasa, Tufaga, Vaipulu, Vanderpool; also with no returning starting receivers & DBs) while having to learn on-the-job. As successful as Rolo was at UH, it took until his 3rd season (the 2018 season) to establish an offense identity and to stabilize his coaching staff (i.e., same staff for the 2018 & 2019 seasons). Also among the candidates with UH and/or Hawai'i ties, JJ has the largest still-active coaching tree (probably with both UH and/or Hawai'i and mainland ties) to draw from to comprise his coaching staff.
Last edited by kapakahi on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

Looks like all the fans want JJ, I’ll support him if hired but really want someone else. My hope is that all fans rally behind the new coach, even if it’s not June.

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

Also I am the only one who thinks it’s unprofessional and wrong for him to public ally push for the job? He really put Matlin in a really bad spot. Really just shows his character, which I would say is lacking at best.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

face it, the u.h. football team and program is broken. no real stadium for another eight years at least. no state support from the legislature who are only interested in photo ops and sound bites. coaching/recruiting staff in shambles. no 2022 team identity for offense or defense.

the last time the u.h. football team and program was broken this bad there wasn't even soap in the locker room, jones came aboard and with the talent already rostered, he was able to cobble together a team that eventually broke into the national rankings. jones also filled the the u.h. bank account with full stadiums, a popular selling logo and an exciting style of football that entertained fans.

jones should be able to load his staff with recruiters and coaches who will build with those who are on the roster. jones did it once, he can do it again. we already know one assistant coach who will work with jones: miano. that's got to be good.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:27 pm Also I am the only one who thinks it’s unprofessional and wrong for him to public ally push for the job? He really put Matlin in a really bad spot. Really just shows his character, which I would say is lacking at best.
matlin's an adult, if he doesn't want jones, he'll put his own selection in as coach. rather than a lack of character, jones displays a sense of awareness that the u.h. might think he is uninterested because of the way jones' contract was badly mishandled after he took hawaii to the sugar bowl and a national ranking. jones is publicly showing matlin that jones does not hold any animosity toward the u.h. and is more than willing to salvage hawaii football again.

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:27 pm Also I am the only one who thinks it’s unprofessional and wrong for him to public ally push for the job? He really put Matlin in a really bad spot. Really just shows his character, which I would say is lacking at best.
I think it’s just you. But I understand your point of view. It does give an unprofessional perception. However, IMHO, June is advertising himself and putting just the right amount of pressure. What’s wrong with selling yourself for a job you’re passionate about?

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

JJ wants back in as UH Football HC. Rich Miano is withdrawing his application to support JJ as HC. Interesting turn of events.

That said, this may provide a huge opportunity for Matlin, if he wants to consider building a legacy for UH Football with JJ as HC. Jones is 68 and has a few good years left to help rebuild the program. He is willing to rebuild the program. Miano would probably be on his staff on the Defensive side.

Matlin also has Brian Smith, Craig Stutzmann and Timmy Chang applying for the position. What if Matlin were to bring them in on in a collective, negotiated agreement to help rebuild the UH Football program by becoming part of the UH Football Assistant Coaching staff under JJ as HC?

Smith, Stutzmann and Chang could all pack their bags and come on back home. Opportunities for becoming the Head Coach would still be there, just not this year. They could come home, hone their coaching skills, live in Hawaii and work for the Home team, towards the possibility of becoming the HC one day.

Add the experienced Assistant Coaches currently on staff, Coach Yoro, Elimimian, Santa Cruz and McCloud and you have a strong, experienced group of Assistant Coaches that would be loyal to the program and understand Hawaii's culture.

With the probable success of an improved RNS that JJ speaks of, others will come to poach on our UH Football Coaching staff and other opportunities may present itself. In the meantime, they are back home in Hawaii, coaching and living in paradise.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:48 pm JJ probably just wants to right the ship....which could take at least 3 seasons...while grooming his own replacement. Given the damage with so many starters transferring out (in addition to the amount of graduating seniors), the program simply doesn't have the luxury of time to bring in a brand-new first-time HC to start with the cupboard almost bare (with the few returning full-time & part-time starters going to be seniors for the 2022 season - Manning, Parson, Pavihi, Phillips, B. Ta'ala, Tanuvasa, Tufaga, Vaipulu, Vanderpool; also with no returning starting receivers & DBs) while having to learn on-the-job. As successful as Rolo was at UH, it took until his 3rd season (the 2018 season) to establish an offense identity and to stabilize his coaching staff (i.e., same staff for the 2018 & 2019 seasons). Also among the candidates with UH and/or Hawai'i ties, JJ has the largest still-active coaching tree (probably with both UH and/or Hawai'i and mainland ties) to draw from to comprise his coaching staff.
June wants to right the ship but probably wants to do it his way. Not sure Matlin is on board with that. During June's time, academics were secondary. He had guys that were not eligible for the bowl game. I believe one year, it was the starting QB. I think this administration from the Pres. on down is paying more attention to academics. Can June rebuild the program with academics in the forefront? He's never done it that way before. He says he has the formula but the equation might have changed quite a bit. Also, would he be able to bring in guys who have had a brush with the law as he has done in the past? One thing working that could work in his favor is the transfer portal. He is great at evaluating talent and there is a lot of talent there. I like JJ but I can see where Matlin is a bit hesitant.
ImageImage

WarriorMojo
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by WarriorMojo »

My 2 cents is that Matlin has no choice but to go with JJ at this point unless he can land an ultra mega rock star type pick which is, bluntly, totally unrealistic at this point. When you have people as diverse as McKenzie Milton and Samuta Avea amongst many, many others lobbying for JJ on social media, it makes it hard to go any other way. JJ has baggage no question, but he provides instant credibility and name recognition locally and nationally. Sure, he may be done in three years, but as long as he's groomed a successor, I can live with that.

To that end, Miano may be positioning himself as that successor if JJ gets the job, and I wouldn't be opposed to that necessarily. But a name I'd want to consider even more than Miano is Stutzman. I used to attend practices a lot (when they used to be open) and there were two position coaches that stuck out to me. One was Miano. I'll never forget him working one on one with Richard Torres on proper technique for backpeddling in coverage and then the hip rotation needed to turn out and run on a deep route. Torres was a sponge and I've always though he'd be a good coach himself someday.

And the other coach that stands out was Stutzman. He was working with the receivers on practice reps and instructing them individually on the proper way to run routes. After so many reps he had the second group rotate in. But what blew me away was that after the second group, he then called out to the scout team players to run routes. He called them by name and told them where he wanted them to line up and what routes to run. These guys were standing off to the side somewhere, not standing in front of him, but he was looking for then and calling them out by name. He would praise some guys, joke/tease some guys and correct some guys. He knew everybody by name and had a mental image of exactly what he was trying to accomplish with each guy.

Stutz is exactly the kind of guy who who likely make a good head coach. A total attention to the details but an understanding of the overall picture. I wanted Rolo when Mack left and I wanted Stutz when Rolo left. Now with Graham gone, I again renew my call for Stutz. But he absolutely HAS to get vaxxed. Period. No question about that. And from what I'm hearing, he may not be willing to do that. Stutz, if be chance you are reading this, please, please, please get vaxxed and come home.

Anyway, I posted a twitter poll to gauge sentiment for the next coach. Please vote if you can. Thanks. https://twitter.com/WarriorMojo/status/ ... 8840501250
UH Warrior fan for life, baby!

Shogunate
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Shogunate »

If Matlin selects anyone else but JJ, he should be fired. This is not Matlin's football team, it's Hawaii's and the fans, the people of Hawaii want JJ to be the next HC.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Irse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:48 pm June wants to right the ship but probably wants to do it his way. Not sure Matlin is on board with that. During June's time, academics were secondary. He had guys that were not eligible for the bowl game. I believe one year, it was the starting QB. I think this administration from the Pres. on down is paying more attention to academics. Can June rebuild the program with academics in the forefront? He's never done it that way before. He says he has the formula but the equation might have changed quite a bit. Also, would he be able to bring in guys who have had a brush with the law as he has done in the past? One thing working that could work in his favor is the transfer portal. He is great at evaluating talent and there is a lot of talent there. I like JJ but I can see where Matlin is a bit hesitant.
Probably more than just a bit hesitant.....'cuz JJ is definitely doesn't fit Matlin's usual MO for a HC hire.

Arcumfortis
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Arcumfortis »

The program is probably in the worst shape it has ever been in. No coach, no stadium, top players leaving in droves etc etc. This is not a job for an inexperienced head coach. This recruiting year will be a (bigger) disaster if we hire a HC without some name recognition. June will create some buzz for recruiting, get local fans at least paying attention and give a glimmer of hope for the future. I think any other choice (even if it is one with promise) has the risk of further imperiling an already sinking ship. I don’t see that we have two or three years to right the ship. If I am a recruit am I really going to seriously consider coming to Hawaii to play in a high school level stadium with a coach who has no HC experience and a team with disastrous PR? I think not. Can June perform another miracle? I don’t know but I do think he thinks he can - and that is important and might make people around him believe it too. So hire June - do it fast - let the naysayers say their nays - and if they are right I’m not sure we would have lost anything anyway because I doubt anyone else will have a chance under the current circumstances.

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

I found June Jones interview today offensive especially when talking about Timmy Chang. June Jones just mumbles and lies. He told Timmy Chang it wasn’t a good first HC job? How did it work out for Rolo? Pretty well if you ask me.

So if we get June Jones we also get Miano, both guys haven’t coached college in 10 years. Great…

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:31 pm I found June Jones interview today offensive especially when talking about Timmy Chang. June Jones just mumbles and lies. He told Timmy Chang it wasn’t a good first HC job? How did it work out for Rolo? Pretty well if you ask me.

So if we get June Jones we also get Miano, both guys haven’t coached college in 10 years. Great…
Very different than when Rolo took over. No stadium, lots of players left and not a good reputation for the program.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Irse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:34 pm
gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:31 pm I found June Jones interview today offensive especially when talking about Timmy Chang. June Jones just mumbles and lies. He told Timmy Chang it wasn’t a good first HC job? How did it work out for Rolo? Pretty well if you ask me.

Very different than when Rolo took over. No stadium, lots of players left and not a good reputation for the program.
Total rebuild. A young coach will struggle. Fail here it maybe the end of their chance of getting another head coaching gig.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: