June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Post by 202Warrior »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:25 am
shrek2 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:03 pm
I don't think we have anything to worry about Timmy bolting. When I watched his press conference for five minutes, I just felt empathy for the poor guy. He only uttered the typical lines that all coaches in Hawaii should utter. I personally got seasick when I was watching him bobbing and weaving in the Zoom interview. He needs some serious coaching on Communication for Effectiveness. I was particularly annoyed by the repeats of words like and and. When you only feel empathy for the guy, the message is lost. I don't think he'll have schools nationally vying for his services. I just worry about how recruits will notice his communication skill and also how he will be able to turn on the fan base.
I felt the same way. Chang need Toasmasters. But aside from that, he looked stressed, unease, and his face showed it, with bags under his eyes. Coaching is a hard life. I hope Chang does not burn out. I hope he did not take on more than he should (at this time.) When Rolo was hired, he had to only deal with "football." Chang got a lot more on his plate.

I recall Chang was sort of a cocky guy when he was young. Arrogant to some, but his play on the field back it up, and silence all haters. His post game press conferences were smooth with that pidgin. Again, he is not the same man anymore. Chang has smirk when he smiles. I did see moments of the old Timmy Chang in the conference.
I had the same communication issues when I moved to the mainland. As I went up the leadership ladder, I was uneasy and felt like I had to hide my pidgin. I felt like I needed to be and sound like my mainland counterparts. I succeeded. However, after much reflection (I’m retired nowadays) I was at my best when I didn’t have to hide “who” I really was and “where” I really came from. People came to know me as their “Aloha” leader. It wasn’t hard for me to recruit, lead, or win over the most opposite of people from me. Why? Because I was myself and I led with dignity and respect. I did what each Hawaiian would want outsiders to do…I respected their norms and led with Aloha.

I wanted June Jones because I knew he could jumpstart the fan base and recruits. Instead our weak okole AD folded. I’m ok with Timmy Chang. I will continue to support and donate money to our Football Team. But there’s one thing Timmy needs to do…DON’T CHANGE for the sake of not sounding proper! Pidgin and broken English does not mean incompetence or ignorance. Be yourself, Timmy! Pidgin and all!

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Post by cabanalane »

202Warrior wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:20 am

I had the same communication issues when I moved to the mainland. As went up the leadership ladder, I was uneasy and felt like I had hide my pidgin. I felt like I needed to be and sound like my mainland counterparts. I succeeded. However, after much reflection (I’m retired nowadays) I was at my best when I didn’t have to hide “who” I really was and “where” I really came from. People came to know me as their “Aloha” leader. It wasn’t hard for me to recruit, lead, or win over the most opposite of people from me. Why? Because I was myself and I lead with dignity and respect. I did what each Hawaiian would want outsiders to do…I respected their norms and led with Aloha.
Make sense. You summed up my experiences too. I live on the mainland now. Just by my writing, my grammar sucks. But when I lived in Hawaii, I never knew I talk different or any "weakness" in my communications verbal or written.

Living on the mainland, half of time I have to stop, think, choose my words, get confused, and sound even worst. Some people think I'm foreign, ask for my "heritage" as they can't make out who I am.

No excuses, I know it's on me. I have Hawaiian cousins that earned their PH.D and still talk pidgin. They can turn if off and on, and write perfect English.

More than half of my life is now on the mainland. Sometimes I just want to come back. Mainland still feels "out of place" for me. Still long for the day I return to the Aina. (Maybe that's why I like Norm Chow and now Tim Chang - local guys that get to come back.)

Anyhow, back to football.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Kudos to you two 202Warrior and cabanalane! You guys set an example for the young people of the islands who find that their job prospects is not on the islands. You pave the way for making Hawaii island kids more welcome in the areas you have been. Way to go. I am kind of concerned that TC may not be the best symbol of Hawaii football though on the national stage. Imagine going to a hotel on the mainland and people asking if you're from Hawaii since you're wearing the tee and associating you with Timmy Chang since that's one of the main things about Hawaii that goes national. Hopefully it's a good image. My feeling right now is this is not the right time for TC.

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:58 am Kudos to you two 202Warrior and cabanalane! You guys set an example for the young people of the islands who find that their job prospects is not on the islands. You pave the way for making Hawaii island kids more welcome in the areas you have been. Way to go. I am kind of concerned that TC may not be the best symbol of Hawaii football though on the national stage. Imagine going to a hotel on the mainland and people asking if you're from Hawaii since you're wearing the tee and associating you with Timmy Chang since that's one of the main things about Hawaii that goes national. Hopefully it's a good image. My feeling right now is this is not the right time for TC.
Mahalo, shrek2.

I understand your view point. Wish JJ was hired with Timmy waiting in the wings. I know…I need to move on.

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:32 am
202Warrior wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:20 am

I had the same communication issues when I moved to the mainland. As went up the leadership ladder, I was uneasy and felt like I had hide my pidgin. I felt like I needed to be and sound like my mainland counterparts. I succeeded. However, after much reflection (I’m retired nowadays) I was at my best when I didn’t have to hide “who” I really was and “where” I really came from. People came to know me as their “Aloha” leader. It wasn’t hard for me to recruit, lead, or win over the most opposite of people from me. Why? Because I was myself and I lead with dignity and respect. I did what each Hawaiian would want outsiders to do…I respected their norms and led with Aloha.
Make sense. You summed up my experiences too. I live on the mainland now. Just by my writing, my grammar sucks. But when I lived in Hawaii, I never knew I talk different or any "weakness" in my communications verbal or written.

Living on the mainland, half of time I have to stop, think, choose my words, get confused, and sound even worst. Some people think I'm foreign, ask for my "heritage" as they can't make out who I am.

No excuses, I know it's on me. I have Hawaiian cousins that earned their PH.D and still talk pidgin. They can turn if off and on, and write perfect English.

More than half of my life is now on the mainland. Sometimes I just want to come back. Mainland still feels "out of place" for me. Still long for the day I return to the Aina. (Maybe that's why I like Norm Chow and now Tim Chang - local guys that get to come back.)

Anyhow, back to football.
For humor only:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZKXrjMJKr ... =copy_link

Cheeeehooooo! :)

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Very true. I've been told, with alcohol, there's more "bra" from me. Can not help.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job

Post by SundayJam »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:41 am
Sunday you really got to let it go?

This is a blog not grammar class?! I know you can read and comprehend what was said. I understand, you're just still holding a grudge and being petty with me even since the McMackin firing, and you're still hurt that June Jones left back in 2007. Remember the movie Frozen? Let it go, Let it go!!

I'm glad you reluctantly want June Jones back as head coach, maybe you are finally at "let it go" stage.
You only post when successful, yet officially despised head coaches are terminated. Are you just a mouth-piece for the administration? Maybe. Does that make me petty? Maybe. If you think June Jones and Greg McMackin were terrible for the program, you are mistaken. That is being petty. Von Appen and Chow were terrible for the program.