June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: JUNE JONES OR BUST!

Post by poidog »

poidog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:15 pm
202Warrior wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:42 pm
poidog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:15 pm Matlin's not gonna hire JJ because he's afraid of JJ and has no balls. the package deal of JJ and Miano is the best option out there, and would be even better if they could get some of the other candidates to commit to joining the staff with them. But Matlin doesn't want to hire people he can't control unless they are praising the lord at every possible moment. I think we'd be fine in time with a Brian Smith or Timmy Chang, but hiring JJ would sell tickets and stop the bleeding today.
Interesting point(s)…why would Matlin be scared of JJ? Any context you can provide? Just curious because I don’t have history on this. Thanks.
JJ will act with or without the approval of the AD. He pushed for the new logo publicly and forced the rebrand campaign. He hired a Hollywood guy on his own to produce music for game days, and made other unilateral decisions that the AD and the rest of the department had to go along with. JJ brings in players with character questions and did not stress academics or discipline all that much. He is a pro coach and takes that approach to coaching college. There were also character questions about JJ himself that you can hear about if you ask around town enough. Oh, and the AD at the time got fired for not being able to retain JJ. That was kind of a big deal.

A lot of these criticisms were probably valid even up to a few years ago, but at 68 years old with a clear succession plan in place he's much less of a risk now and brings so much to the table that is needed for this specific situation we are in at this moment.
Welp, this ended up being completely true.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job

Post by cabanalane »

JJ is GOAT. Glad to see that will be cemented now. We can always look back at the magic era (along with GOAT #15). The romance of UH will always be there.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

But wait, there's more 🤔
https://twitter.com/KeithDemolder/status/1485491362929598468

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Post by RedZone »

Don’t forget UH spokesperson who said JJ was pilau for leaving the meeting. He needs to go too. All they had to do was tell JJ that they had decided to go in a different direction and wanted to hire someone else. I felt that their offer was embarrassing. It made no sense to me. The job was for a head coach. Not a mentor who they intended to sweep aside in 2 years.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Post by EITSwarrior »

Wait so almost everyone (news media, twitter fanatics, and some on this forum) the entire past week said that the ideal plan was to have JJ be head coach for a few years and have TC be the OC/head coach in waiting and then turn the team over to him. Isn't that what Matlin pretty much offered and now people have a problem with it????????????

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

In my wildest dreams, I would never have imagined Timmy Chang as head coach. However, the dice have been cast. Let's see what happens. I think either Chad Owens or Ryan Keomaka would have been as good of a choice. Apparently, we will see a resurgence of the run and shoot? Dunno. Make or break time for Timmy Chang. Ahui ho!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:41 am Sunday you really got to let it go?

This is a blog not grammar class?! I know you can read and comprehend what was said. I understand, you're just still holding a grudge and being petty with me even since the McMackin firing, and you're still hurt that June Jones left back in 2007. Remember the movie Frozen? Let it go, Let it go!!

I'm glad you reluctantly want June Jones back as head coach, maybe you are finally at "let it go" stage.
Uhmm...yeah.

You rant without a purpose. Mac was a Jones guy. Rolo and Aranda were Mac guys: they both excelled at the next level. I liked Jones. I liked Mac. Timmy Chang...is kind of a Jones guy...IDK. We'll see where this road leads us.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Wasn't Norm Chow the same age at that time?

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

SMFH, Matlin is a moron. I'm not upset about who he hired, the lack of experience in his new head coach, I'm upset that he just couldn't do the obvious. It's really a lose/lose for UH and Matlin, if Timmy fails the public will now expect a change, if he Timmy succeeds there's a strong chance he could bolt like Rolo. I heard that the boosters were all backing June Jones and Matlin went against the grain. SMFH Unbelievable.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Shoko
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Shoko »

If TC succeeds and catches the attention of other programs with a bigger budget, I almost expect him to leave if offered more money. Same with his assistants. We all know living in Hawaii is not cheap, so unless UHAD ponies up more cash for head coaches, which they won't, as well as their young assistants, which is possible, there will always be a high turnover rate with our head coaches. 2 cents

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Shoko wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:18 am If TC succeeds and catches the attention of other programs with a bigger budget, I almost expect him to leave if offered more money. Same with his assistants. We all know living in Hawaii is not cheap, so unless UHAD ponies up more cash for head coaches, which they won't, as well as their young assistants, which is possible, there will always be a high turnover rate with our head coaches. 2 cents
There will never be "more money" because there isn't. Hawaii (UH) can never complete with $$$.

I still live in a fantasy world. I believed Rolo would be in Hawaii for life (for football reason, and his wife is from Hawaii). We can say the same for Tim Chang. But as Chang said, his 5 (younger) kids are in Nevada so they are mainland kids. Moving to Hawaii may suck for his kids. Or I should say, don't have the same meaning. Poke? That's gross. I do hope Chang stay for a long long time, like 15 years, and retired.

Going back to $$. No place is cheap really, and not college town areas. Take the SF bay area. A regular house is like $2M. So coaches in San Jose State, Stanford, or Cal face the same issues. Their larger paychecks don't exactly go that far, either. Rolo drove a Mercedes Benz SUV GL-class to Manoa. Coaches get paid pretty well in general. Yes, HC can make more on the mainland. But they are not hungry.

To echo similar to what Chad Owen said, you have to want to be in Hawaii. Rusted weights or not, you still got to do the work. Rust on the weights is not going to make you weaker. And brand new weight sets is not going to make you stronger.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Makana wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:00 am SMFH, Matlin is a moron. I'm not upset about who he hired, the lack of experience in his new head coach, I'm upset that he just couldn't do the obvious. It's really a lose/lose for UH and Matlin, if Timmy fails the public will now expect a change, if he Timmy succeeds there's a strong chance he could bolt like Rolo. I heard that the boosters were all backing June Jones and Matlin went against the grain. SMFH Unbelievable.
I don't think we have anything to worry about Timmy bolting. When I watched his press conference for five minutes, I just felt empathy for the poor guy. He only uttered the typical lines that all coaches in Hawaii should utter. I personally got seasick when I was watching him bobbing and weaving in the Zoom interview. He needs some serious coaching on Communication for Effectiveness. I was particularly annoyed by the repeats of words like and and. When you only feel empathy for the guy, the message is lost. I don't think he'll have schools nationally vying for his services. I just worry about how recruits will notice his communication skill and also how he will be able to turn on the fan base.

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Walkoff Balk »

It's been two scoops of mixed plate drama. Tomorrow's press conference will be the side order of mac salad. I goin' wear my MWGA (Make Warriors Great Again) trucker cap.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:03 pm
I don't think we have anything to worry about Timmy bolting. When I watched his press conference for five minutes, I just felt empathy for the poor guy. He only uttered the typical lines that all coaches in Hawaii should utter. I personally got seasick when I was watching him bobbing and weaving in the Zoom interview. He needs some serious coaching on Communication for Effectiveness. I was particularly annoyed by the repeats of words like and and. When you only feel empathy for the guy, the message is lost. I don't think he'll have schools nationally vying for his services. I just worry about how recruits will notice his communication skill and also how he will be able to turn on the fan base.
I felt the same way. Chang need Toasmasters. But aside from that, he looked stressed, unease, and his face showed it, with bags under his eyes. Coaching is a hard life. I hope Chang does not burn out. I hope he did not take on more than he should (at this time.) When Rolo was hired, he had to only deal with "football." Chang got a lot more on his plate.

I recall Chang was sort of a cocky guy when he was young. Arrogant to some, but his play on the field back it up, and silence all haters. His post game press conferences were smooth with that pidgin. Again, he is not the same man anymore. Chang has smirk when he smiles. I did see moments of the old Timmy Chang in the conference.